Jump to content
buffy

Yatay Mule (Butia yatay X Syagrus romanzoffiana)

Recommended Posts

buffy

Wanted to post pictures of the Yatay Mule that I put in the ground as a strap-leaved seedling in the summer of 2010.

It's showing about a foot of clean trunk now:

IMG_20160828_184012691_zpsno4w7cf0.jpg

And lookie here.....my first inflorescence on a hybrid:

IMG_20160828_184028126_zpseoatunmy.jpg

And another one:

IMG_20160828_184042750_zpsesebzfmn.jpg

Bonus shot, Aiders with a Kashmir Mazari:

IMG_20160828_184157100_zpstkdk5afw.jpg

 

  • Upvote 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

Anybody see the Syagrus cerqueirana in the first pic. Almost blue like S. camplyospatha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeeth

Thanks for the pics! I was wondering how people with this hybrid were doing. It's a nice one, that's for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

Looks great. I got one of these from Patric last fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm crazy

WOW! That’s a lot of growth and your lows are about the same as mine. LOL!  Outstanding!  How’s the other palms doing in your garden?

Edited by Palm crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasColdHardyPalms

Looking great!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal

Looks incredible!  And only six years in ground - that's crazy!  Great growing.  I can't wait for mine to look like that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

Everything is thriving right now. Last winter never happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal

Are you thinking about trying to back-cross?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmTreeDude

Looks nice! I see the seed spikes!!!! Or just flowers!

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasColdHardyPalms
44 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Are you thinking about trying to back-cross?

Going to be impossible this year unless buffy has frozen pollen.  No butia will flower this late in the year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeeth
49 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Are you thinking about trying to back-cross?

I wonder if Butia X Syagrus can cross with something else like Parajubaea. I know the whole fiasco with Syagrus x Parajubaea, but Butia x Parajubaea seems to be a regularly seen hybrid at this point, so maybe Butia x Syagrus would work too? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
8 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

I wonder if Butia X Syagrus can cross with something else like Parajubaea. I know the whole fiasco with Syagrus x Parajubaea, but Butia x Parajubaea seems to be a regularly seen hybrid at this point, so maybe Butia x Syagrus would work too? 

Worth a try!  I'd do some batches of Queen back-crosses first, I know I'd pay a lot for a (Yatay x Queen) x Queen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz
7 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Going to be impossible this year unless buffy has frozen pollen.  No butia will flower this late in the year.  

Really? Butia's in this area bloom three or four times a year. We have many still blooming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasColdHardyPalms

Not here. They stop in july when it gets hot and wont flower until the next spring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Las Palmas Norte

Awesome growth ... and looking good. Hopefully nothing too cold comes it's way. Curious ... what has it endured for cold so far?

Cheers, Barrie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NorthFlpalmguy

Nice specimen and growth rate! I'm curious on it's hardiness as well?

I still have plenty butias flowering here as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

They are fast. This is my Yatay x queen today,I got it from Patric last Nov.as a strap leaf in a 4" pot.

 

205s2lv.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
_Keith
2 hours ago, NorthFlpalmguy said:

Nice specimen and growth rate! I'm curious on it's hardiness as well?

I still have plenty butias flowering here as well.

All I can say is it laughs at 19-21 degrees 3 days in a row and ice storms.  It is hardier than my standard mules.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

It's been good to 15F. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy
5 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Not here. They stop in july when it gets hot and wont flower until the next spring. 

Sure, but it forgot to get hot outside this year. I've probably only had five days over 95F this year. I'm confused on what you're saying? Are you saying these inflorescences, that are blasting out of the palm, won't produce flowers or viable pollen?

oh snap...I see what you're saying. You're saying pure Butia won't flower in the summer or fall here. That does match my experience in Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasColdHardyPalms
3 hours ago, buffy said:

Sure, but it forgot to get hot outside this year. I've probably only had five days over 95F this year. I'm confused on what you're saying? Are you saying these inflorescences, that are blasting out of the palm, won't produce flowers or viable pollen?

oh snap...I see what you're saying. You're saying pure Butia won't flower in the summer or fall here. That does match my experience in Texas.

Correct, for some reason Butia seem to stop flowering in July in Texas except down on the coast where they will flower in the fall/winter. I apologize for my hard to follow posts. 

The likelihood of your mule producing viable seed without being polinated back with butia/queen pollen is next to zero. Even if hand pollinated viable seed isn't guranteed to be produced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

Here's a picture of the inflorescence:

 

PeWKg6T8KhP1WMvzxRo4yVyMaZFv8fgold4R-eps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy
On 8/31/2016, 6:28:08, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Correct, for some reason Butia seem to stop flowering in July in Texas except down on the coast where they will flower in the fall/winter. I apologize for my hard to follow posts. 

The likelihood of your mule producing viable seed without being polinated back with butia/queen pollen is next to zero. Even if hand pollinated viable seed isn't guranteed to be produced. 

Oh snap, here's my Butia odorata sending up a spathe when its not supposed to :)

IMG_20161022_175610103_zpses3vwuw9.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy
On 10/19/2016, 10:31:03, buffy said:

Here's a picture of the inflorescence:

 

PeWKg6T8KhP1WMvzxRo4yVyMaZFv8fgold4R-eps

IMG_20161008_162420254_TOP_zpsawubep5q.j

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

As a return to this thread. I received a slither of hope this weekend from my very damaged Yatay Queen. 8F unprotected is a bitch for pretty much anything.  In the spring, I removed all the fronds and started cutting deeper and deeper with not much promise. the frond bases still showed a smidge of green and there was a slight push upward of some of the fronds near the growing point which was a rotting mess. This weekend, the palm finally pushed three inches of material out the top. So we have a smidge of hope. Not much, but better than nothing. I fully expect it to grow for a few months and then croak, but you never know. If it makes it into winter, I will build a full enclosure around it and protect it from all cold. It takes two full years to build a full canopy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

Mines coming back strong.

 

 

20180604_162921.jpg

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
On 6/4/2018, 4:14:36, buffy said:

As a return to this thread. I received a slither of hope this weekend from my very damaged Yatay Queen. 8F unprotected is a bitch for pretty much anything.  In the spring, I removed all the fronds and started cutting deeper and deeper with not much promise. the frond bases still showed a smidge of green and there was a slight push upward of some of the fronds near the growing point which was a rotting mess. This weekend, the palm finally pushed three inches of material out the top. So we have a smidge of hope. Not much, but better than nothing. I fully expect it to grow for a few months and then croak, but you never know. If it makes it into winter, I will build a full enclosure around it and protect it from all cold. It takes two full years to build a full canopy.

Any progress on how you Yatay mule is doing? It's a palm a very much want to try, I'm in a similar zone, officially an 8a but I get some moderation do to lake proximity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alberto
On 29/08/2016 18:27:49, buffy said:

Anybody see the Syagrus cerqueirana in the first pic. Almost blue like S. camplyospatha.

Are the S. cerqueirana not very green?.....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alberto

Wow, that was real cold there, Buffy! I'm curious to see how is the yatay mule. Any pics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kenarr09
24 minutes ago, Alberto said:

Are the S. cerqueirana not very green?.....

I agree with you Alberto they olive green with leathery leafs as i remember to 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

Not much to show yet. Big trunk with about a foot and a half of new material sticking out. I have a little hope, but not much. If we get three fronds out the top, then I may change my outlook. Right now. Grim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

Alberto: Turns out that the S. cerquierana is really Butia matogrossensis. Rarepalmseeds.com mislabeled the seeds. I know. Shocking. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alberto
On 05/07/2018, 14:30:00, buffy said:

Alberto: Turns out that the S. cerquierana is really Butia matogrossensis. Rarepalmseeds.com mislabeled the seeds. I know. Shocking. 

I think you was lucky with a Butia matogrossensis. At least they are a lot cold hardier than Syagrus cerqueirana. I have  a S. cerqueirana that shows burned leaves with the lightest radiational freeze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
_Keith
On 8/31/2016, 2:21:36, _Keith said:

All I can say is it laughs at 19-21 degrees 3 days in a row and ice storms.  It is hardier than my standard mules.

After last winter's multiple freezes with an ultimate low of 16, mine is alive but looks like crap.  Not sure it will ever again approach its former beauty, and it was a beauty.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm crazy

I don't think it will be as cold this winter for the southern states, but it might be rainier than normal. If you guys can protect with rope lighting and covering when the temp goes below 20F they all should start to recover nicely next spring. This is one palm that is worth going that extra mile to protect. Good luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

Mine is still on life support, but there's a bit of hope. I'll probably build a greenhouse around it this winter to let it keep growing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

So, I did end of building a temporary greenhouse around the palm. It has about 5 stunted fronds. It's slowly growing through the winter with no water in the crown. I have a fan keeping air moving in there and a space heater to keep things warmish. At least we're giving it a reasonable shot. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
12 minutes ago, buffy said:

So, I did end of building a temporary greenhouse around the palm. It has about 5 stunted fronds. It's slowly growing through the winter with no water in the crown. I have a fan keeping air moving in there and a space heater to keep things warmish. At least we're giving it a reasonable shot. 

Good to hear! Fingers crossed it pulls through. So far this winters has been pretty mild, hopefully it will continue to be. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca

Hoping it comes through!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • swolf
      By swolf
      Here’s a young Bismarckia in zone 9a that came from especially cold-hardy parents.  Couldn’t resist trying to grow a few of these marginal beauties..  In the background is a medium size Jubaea x Butia F1.  They all vary a little.  
      Anyone interested in partnering/purchasing on this 4.5 acre (buildable) palm nursery can PM me.  Larger JxB F1s have begun flowering.

    • RJ
      By RJ
      Picked up these 2 15g sabals in need of repotting over the weekend. Keeping the top of saxophone heal above the ground surface is what’s important correct? 
       
      Also so what happens to that heal with mature palms? I’ve never noticed it on mature trees. 


    • GeorgiaPalms
      By GeorgiaPalms
      I thought it may be cool to post photos of the garden as it appears this winter. Please posts pics of your own garden as well. I am in North Georgia, a cold zone 8a.

    • GeorgiaPalms
      By GeorgiaPalms
      Hello all,
      While browsing the web I happened across an interesting website:
      http://home.windstream.net/hbrahea333/
      The page features many cold hardy palms being grown in North GA. The winter page states the palms were covered when the palms were younger but once larger receive no winter protection.
      Does anyone know who has grown these palms or have any more information on the palms and how they are nowadays?
       
      Thanks!
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      A few months ago I posted a topic about my bodacious Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant I originally purchased from well-regarded Plant Delights Nursery in NC, so I know it is the real thing. See link below to view that topic:
      http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/58162-sabal-minor-emerald-isle-giant-wseeds-any-interest/
       
      At the time I posted that topic the palm was loaded with green seeds and I asked if anyone would be interested in them later. I got quite a few responses so I let the seeds ripen and now have quite a few harvested and ready for new homes.
      Normally, I sell seeds only within the continental US but I had responses from several European PTers so I will make an exception. But - if you live in Europe (or Australia) be aware that US postage for even a small 1 oz. package of seeds is astronomical, more than the cost of the seeds themselves. Also understand that I must fill out a US Customs form online with the US Gov't declaring the contents of any pkg and I cannot/will not lie. Finally, know the customs of your own country: some countries are easygoing about palm seeds from FL, others will seize seeds, destroy them, even hold them for ransom. If your customs seizes your seeds, I can't replace them or refund your money. 
      All that said, please see summary below:
      Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant Seeds: 50 for $10.00
      Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant Seeds: 100 for $15.00
      Shipping in padded envelope: $4.00 in continental US (Sabal seeds illegal in HI)
      International shipping in padded envelope: $15.00 for up to 100 seeds with US Customs declaration
      Please PM me if you are interested. Thanks and regards
      See photos below of seeds and mother palm.


       
×