IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum hoe+ins+ita+wed

Pal Meir

55 minutes ago, User00 said:

how long it took to first leaf

The photos were taken 172 (hoenei, germinated by Kai), 89 (insigne), 87 (itapebiense), and 76 days (weddellianum) after germination. — The size of the plastic pots is 8×8×H9 cm, of the clay pot Ø8×H9 cm. L hoenei has the smallest eophyll, then comes L weddellianum (also pinnate or with windows), a bit larger L itapebiense and at far the largest has L insigne.

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

• 1 month later...

Seedlings of all four species of the sub-genus Lytocaryum half a year old: L weddellianum showing already the tip of the 4th leaf, L insigne the 3rd leaf, and L hoehnei and L itapebiense only the 2nd leaf. The size of the plastic pot is 8×8×H9 cm.

58089582e6f20_Lytocaryumx4halfyear.thumb

• Upvote 6

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello Pal,

really beautiful plants. Interesting to see their development. Are they difficult to grow?

Regards
Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

37 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

Hello Pal,

really beautiful plants. Interesting to see their development. Are they difficult to grow?

Regards
Eckhard

All four spp of Lytocaryum are easy growers. The best for indoors are L weddellianum and L itapebiense, L hoehnei is ideal for a terrace and L insigne, too, but will grow too fast and get too tall for a longer indoor culture. — The greatest problem with L itapebiense and also with L insigne is getting seeds: I had only once the chance getting seeds of L itapebiense (2016) and twice of L insigne (2011 and 2014) in my life.

• Like 1

I believe that some plants can be 'pushed' to seed by different forms of stress. e.g. walnut trees.

I know that is a bit extreme but have you ever tried that? (not beating specifically)

Even some animals will not reproduce unless they are under some stress specific to the species.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

13 hours ago, gtsteve said:

I believe that some plants can be 'pushed' to seed by different forms of stress. e.g. walnut trees.

I know that is a bit extreme but have you ever tried that? (not beating specifically)

Even some animals will not reproduce unless they are under some stress specific to the species.

I guess you misunderstood my "getting seeds": I meant "receiving or purchasing seeds". ;)

• 1 month later...

Hereby I present a Lytocaryum family portrait that fits the title of this topic.

20171101_122022.thumb.jpg.15ffa03e6ea7e5

The large wedd in the back I planted as a little seed in 2006 and is fruiting and flowering itself now. It has it's own topic though, so I won't go into that any further.

The large one on the left and the somewhat smaller one front-right are insignes, germinated and grown into pinnate size by our well known Pal Meir. Two smaller sized insignes are front-right in front of the larger one. These I grew from seed myself and have had their near death experiences.

The larger plants back-right and front-left are hoehnei's purchased as almost fully strap leafed plants from floribunda.

More hoehnei and wedd seedlings are placed in between the larger plants. Front-center are the 13 little wedd offspring from the large one in the back.

The 2 seedlings front-left came from a batch of wedd seeds but are very different. I hope one day to find out what they really are.

Cherry on top is the tiny and slowgrowing itapebiense at front, also germinated by Pal.

• Upvote 4

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Flash! :o

1674901611_Lytocaryum4spp2019-07-27P1050222.thumb.jpg.b9e20bd4072f7f6af5376998f6bdb55f.jpg

Corrigendum of the former post: L itapebiense1601-04

Will they grow any higher? L Itapebiense :)

8 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Their stems are acaulescent (creeping), but the leaves will become longer:

761821400_Lytocaryumitapebiense2008.thumb.jpg.59407c3422a6d34d94deab7e9bd2dbd0.jpg

Now we wait for your specimens to start seeding :D

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice palms. I like them also. I need to find a L. itapebiensis , but here, I only can grow this in a pot

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

You are doing a GREAT job way over there in Germany.  I just bought one in a 1 gallon pot here on the DRY side of O`ahu, Hawai`i.  Should go in the ground in a week or two as soon as I pick the right spot.  I has three about 10 years ago and managed to grow them fine in the ground for a few years and then one by one they all  died.  I think it was mismanagement back then something I don't plan to do again.

20200604_125834.jpg

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice work!  I can’t keep potted palms alive let alone keep palms and palm growth records for 7 years…