Pal Meir

Lytocaryum hoe+ins+ita+wed

Pal Meir

This is the first picture that presents photos of the eophylls of all four Lytocaryum spp together (L hoehnei, L insigne, L itapebiense, and L weddellianum; Lytocaryum is now considered as subgenus of Syagrus):

57bb5602ce798_LytocaryumEophyllx4.thumb.

• Upvote 6

User00

how long it took to first leaf

Pal Meir
55 minutes ago, User00 said:

how long it took to first leaf

The photos were taken 172 (hoenei, germinated by Kai), 89 (insigne), 87 (itapebiense), and 76 days (weddellianum) after germination. — The size of the plastic pots is 8×8×H9 cm, of the clay pot Ø8×H9 cm. L hoenei has the smallest eophyll, then comes L weddellianum (also pinnate or with windows), a bit larger L itapebiense and at far the largest has L insigne.

• Upvote 2

Pal Meir

Seedlings of all four species of the sub-genus Lytocaryum half a year old: L weddellianum showing already the tip of the 4th leaf, L insigne the 3rd leaf, and L hoehnei and L itapebiense only the 2nd leaf. The size of the plastic pot is 8×8×H9 cm.

58089582e6f20_Lytocaryumx4halfyear.thumb

• Upvote 6

Pal Meir

And here the same four Lytocaryum spp half a year later as one year old seedlings:

58f886b966a19_Lytocaryumx4oneyear.thumb.

• Upvote 7

Pal Meir

And the newest family photo (N°1307ab, 1401, 1601-04, 1611): :greenthumb::)

59abeb7140b26_Lytox42017-09-03P1040026.t

• Upvote 5

Palmensammler

Hello Pal,

really beautiful plants. Interesting to see their development. Are they difficult to grow?

Regards
Eckhard

Pal Meir
37 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

Hello Pal,

really beautiful plants. Interesting to see their development. Are they difficult to grow?

Regards
Eckhard

All four spp of Lytocaryum are easy growers. The best for indoors are L weddellianum and L itapebiense, L hoehnei is ideal for a terrace and L insigne, too, but will grow too fast and get too tall for a longer indoor culture. — The greatest problem with L itapebiense and also with L insigne is getting seeds: I had only once the chance getting seeds of L itapebiense (2016) and twice of L insigne (2011 and 2014) in my life.

• Like 1

gtsteve

I believe that some plants can be 'pushed' to seed by different forms of stress. e.g. walnut trees.

I know that is a bit extreme but have you ever tried that? (not beating specifically)

Even some animals will not reproduce unless they are under some stress specific to the species.

Pal Meir
13 hours ago, gtsteve said:

I believe that some plants can be 'pushed' to seed by different forms of stress. e.g. walnut trees.

I know that is a bit extreme but have you ever tried that? (not beating specifically)

Even some animals will not reproduce unless they are under some stress specific to the species.

I guess you misunderstood my "getting seeds": I meant "receiving or purchasing seeds". ;)

Kai

Hereby I present a Lytocaryum family portrait that fits the title of this topic.

20171101_122022.thumb.jpg.15ffa03e6ea7e5

The large wedd in the back I planted as a little seed in 2006 and is fruiting and flowering itself now. It has it's own topic though, so I won't go into that any further.

The large one on the left and the somewhat smaller one front-right are insignes, germinated and grown into pinnate size by our well known Pal Meir. Two smaller sized insignes are front-right in front of the larger one. These I grew from seed myself and have had their near death experiences.

The larger plants back-right and front-left are hoehnei's purchased as almost fully strap leafed plants from floribunda.

More hoehnei and wedd seedlings are placed in between the larger plants. Front-center are the 13 little wedd offspring from the large one in the back.

The 2 seedlings front-left came from a batch of wedd seeds but are very different. I hope one day to find out what they really are.

Cherry on top is the tiny and slowgrowing itapebiense at front, also germinated by Pal.

• Upvote 4

Monòver

Cool family!!!!:greenthumb:

Pal Meir

One year later all 4 Lyto spp exactly 2 years old:

5ad9b765d03e6_04Lytocaryum4x2years.thumb

• Upvote 4

Pal Meir

And here a sensation: 5 (five!) species of Lytocaryum in one photo! Can you identify them? :greenthumb::D

5afaf727386b7_Lytocarya2018-05-15P104051

• Upvote 4

Pal Meir

The different locations of the 4 Lytocaryum spp:

5b06b0e473869_LytocaryumLocations.thumb.

• Upvote 1

Pal Meir

The 4 Lyto spp 2½ year since germination showing very different growth rates:

5bcb1a74d195b_N13014011601161125a.thumb.

Pal Meir

Exactly three years since germination:

847293969_06Lytox43a.thumb.jpg.832646c21da2926df376bdc2333a6ba2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Pal Meir

All 4 species together: L weddellianum N°1301, 1303, 1306c (bonsai); L insigne N°1401, 1408; L itapebiense N°1401-04; L hoehnei N°1611

1743801024_Lytocaryum4spp2019-07-27P1050219.thumb.jpg.059f910a7b5b5472536147e8aa480fc8.jpg

• Like 2

Pal Meir

Flash! :o

1674901611_Lytocaryum4spp2019-07-27P1050222.thumb.jpg.b9e20bd4072f7f6af5376998f6bdb55f.jpg

Corrigendum of the former post: L itapebiense1601-04

• Like 3

Reynevan
1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Flash! :o

1674901611_Lytocaryum4spp2019-07-27P1050222.thumb.jpg.b9e20bd4072f7f6af5376998f6bdb55f.jpg

Corrigendum of the former post: L itapebiense1601-04

Will they grow any higher? L Itapebiense :)

Pal Meir
6 minutes ago, Reynevan said:

Will they grow any higher? L Itapebiense :)

Their stems are acaulescent (creeping), but the leaves will become longer:

761821400_Lytocaryumitapebiense2008.thumb.jpg.59407c3422a6d34d94deab7e9bd2dbd0.jpg

Reynevan
8 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Their stems are acaulescent (creeping), but the leaves will become longer:

761821400_Lytocaryumitapebiense2008.thumb.jpg.59407c3422a6d34d94deab7e9bd2dbd0.jpg

Now we wait for your specimens to start seeding :D

Pal Meir

Exactly four years since germination (N°1301, 1601, 1611, 1408):

1767112315_07Lytocaryum4x4years.thumb.jpg.558e54b4458402a4324b43a9239eefa2.jpg

• Like 3

Alberto

Nice palms. I like them also. I need to find a L. itapebiensis , but here, I only can grow this in a pot

WaianaeCrider

You are doing a GREAT job way over there in Germany.  I just bought one in a 1 gallon pot here on the DRY side of O`ahu, Hawai`i.  Should go in the ground in a week or two as soon as I pick the right spot.  I has three about 10 years ago and managed to grow them fine in the ground for a few years and then one by one they all  died.  I think it was mismanagement back then something I don't plan to do again.

20200604_125834.jpg