IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pal Meir

Oh, I made a mistake: Kai shipped those seeds to me on 2016-08-06 and I received them 5 days later on 2016-08-11 (it’s a long, long way from NL to DE, perhaps 200 km). Therefore that seed germinated only after eight days since arrival. :)

57b73c7d039df_SyagrushoehneiSeeds(endoca

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

As I fear I’ve fried :sick: my remaining L hoehnei seeds under the SoCal-like burning German sun :mrlooney: (@Kai forgive me, I forgot the pot with the seeds standing in direct sun on my balcony! :() I’ll post here photos of seedling N°1611 that I got from Kai on 2016-08-04 who had germinated it in beautiful Amsterdam on 2016-03-02.

Pic #1 shows the seedling after removal out of the deep 7x7x18 cm pot, with a tiny eophyll, ready for pasting my germination labels on it: B)

57c2ff2998c33_N16112016-08-04IMG_8874.th

I repotted it the same day in a smaller 8x8x9cm pot, using my L insigne soil mix with 1/2 Seramis® + 1/2 pine bark 2-8mm + 1cm LECA layer on the bottom. – Ten days later the tip of the 2nd leaf appeared; pic #2 shows it one week later and pic #3 after two weeks: :interesting:

57c2ff7cd11b5_N16112016-08-21P1020599.th

57c2ff824d803_N16112016-08-28P1020660.th

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Kai said:

First partly pinnate leaves appearing on my hoehnei seedlings. It's great to finally see this happening and gives my anticipation on the seedlings growth a new boost!

Very nice! My N°1611 stands outdoors on the balcony since March; so it is growing only quite slowly …… :asleep:

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Great work and great tutorial. I have a large one of this species but would love to try it from seeds. However, seeds are unavailable.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Oh, yes, one of my favorite small palms. Looks like a miniature 800-pound gorilla, and, so far, none of the diseases or other problems. And, small enough to squeeze into a garden that's been thoroughly VelezedTM.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I've found hoenhei to be much more tempermental than weddelianum, and needing much more water and shelter from the sun. But they sure are hupsch!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Pal...I really love and appreciate your palm seedling growth updates.  Fantastic job of growing.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

I've found hoenhei to be much more tempermental than weddelianum, and needing much more water and shelter from the sun. But they sure are hupsch!

The sun-tolerance of the 4 Lyto species seems to be (from most to less tolerant):

(1) L insigne, (2) L weddellianum, (3) L hoehnei, (4) L itapebiense.

I was surprised at the sun-tolerance of L weddellianum.

• Like 1

My large wedd got horribly sunburned in the summer of 2018. It still has to loose some of the (partly) burned leaves, but it's starting to look better again. I tried to acclimatize it for a long time but still it got burned in just a few hours time of direct afternoon sun. I don't think I'll try it again, it takes a long time before it's proper again.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

1 minute ago, Kai said:

My large wedd got horribly sunburned in the summer of 2018. It still has to loose some of the (partly) burned leaves, but it's starting to look better again. I tried to acclimatize it for a long time but still it got burned in just a few hours time of direct afternoon sun. I don't think I'll try it again, it takes a long time before it's proper again.

I had the same sunburn experience :( with my L weddellianum N°1305 last year which came directly from the protected desktop onto the balcony. — The leaves of the two palms most exposed to the sun changed a bit their appearance: N°1308 got very delicately curved leaves :happy: and N°1302 darker and harder ones. :o

Seeds of L. Hoehnei seems to be completely unavailable just like Itapebiense. They are listed on RPS though, so maybe they will be accessible at some point.  :blush:

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Today I picked up my baby L. hoehnei at my parents place and when I got home I immediately put the seedling in a new soil mix containing 50% pinebark (2-8mm) and 50% seramis. I used a small palm container (7x7x13). On the bottom I placed a layer of broken pot shards for extra drainage. It was growing in organic soil and the roots looked healthy and strong so I hope she will adapt fast to the new soil.

I placed it in front of a large window at room temperature (16°C-22°C).  

roots looking healthy.

11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111.thumb.jpg.af99a8c3111d660b371ff827d5ca0209.jpg

thoehnei.thumb.jpg.f8a24a24237fe13e8a9866bf40848641.jpg

• Like 1