IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Termites in Ground around Sabal

Scot from SC

Hello everyone. I was watering one of my younger Sabal palmettos this evening when I noticed floating termites in the dirt around the palm. I definitely don't want them munching on its roots, and I have read that certain varieties eat live plant material. I know that termites are commonly found in the ground. I frequently will find them under pots that are on grass not only in my yard but others' yards as well. My question is will a treatment of Bayer Tree and Shrub Protect and Feed kill them? It contains Imidacloprid at .74% and Clothianidin at .37%. It is a systemic so it will be taken up by the roots. Thanks for any advice.

• Upvote 1

Dear Scot,

I live in tropical zone in south india. Here whenever we try organic mulching using old leaves,dried barks,wood pieces after a good rainfall 2 days later we see red ants,centipedes,millipeds.

Actually our intention of organic mulching is to enrich the soil and increase earth worms. But it increases red ants/fire ants and termites.

Now the present contion is these termites attack our date palm,cryota mittis palm.

I have a hand held sprayer filled it with anti termite oil sold in wooden furniture shops.its often called as terminator or pest o seal.i mix this oil with kerosene in 3:1 ratio.so as the chemical does not dry up soon.

I cover the roots of my plants with a nylon sheet. Then start spraying the chenical only in the affected areas of my plant.

And for soil treatment I use horticulture oil...that is neem oil.

Visuals of it in the next post..

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here's the hand held sprayer and the chemical...a word of advice if you have kids and pets at home send them to your mom's house or better still to mother-in laws house for 2 to 3 days while using it.

Since it gives some severe headache and vomiting sensation.

20160817_104828.thumb.jpg.76695d508dccf620160817_104525.thumb.jpg.328e2a3bcd45ce

love conquers all..

43278.gif

The species of termites native to your area  are generally detritus feeders, and will not feed on the living tissue of trees.  There is an introduced specie, the Formosan Termite, which will feed on live timber.....but generally on dicots and the new wood, leaving summer wood intact, so no idea if they would feed on palms that lack differentiating vascular wood.

South Carolina has recorded infestations of Formosan Termite, so you might want to check the ID of your critters before any eradication efforts.

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....