IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Share your shade house!

Missi

I need to get my potted garden off my lanai! I'm thinking of building a, hopefully simple and economical, shade house but I might need to heat it a bit during winter. Please share pictures and stories of your shade house or whatever you use to shade your understory palm or seedling collection! 

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

C'mon now, I know some of you have got to have shade houses.... :P

Having to heat in Naples?.....makes me laugh :lol:

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Shade house I have use of in Costa Rica while mine is being built.. LOTS of goodies in here! Pura Vida!

032.thumb.JPG.3a230804f4ef062149d9023309

033.thumb.JPG.2aba5de687600f320a504d0e88

034.thumb.JPG.388f0a8a49240cdf0dc9cd10d3

037.thumb.JPG.0f03f24223a8b5980ff1e8b164

038.thumb.JPG.2f5f35abe1a1b5978a71ba6cb6

039.thumb.JPG.b3b4307341447db7a18ca0f2f8

040.thumb.JPG.612ba230bca3d321cd49a915d9

035.JPG

• Upvote 9

Zone 13 

450' jungle river up to 700' open sun B)

2 hours ago, Fishmoose said:

Shade house I have use of in Costa Rica while mine is being built..

038.thumb.JPG.2f5f35abe1a1b5978a71ba6cb6

Wow, I love the volume of plants you have going in here. And they look lush and happy! As Dave would say"Drool!!"

JT

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

I just finished posting about my own shade house here in Japan, so I won't re-post in this thread, but here's the link: 

Great topic. I'd like to learn more about other shade houses, and their irrigation setups.

JT

• Upvote 1

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Very nice indeed. MIne's not a shade house ... forgot to vent appropriately this morning and temps briefly hit 128°F / 53°C :o Hit the fan and vented ... AOK. Lucky I watered well the night before.

Cheers, Barrie.

• Upvote 2

I do have a generously sized shade house that was part of this tropical former nursery property. It is quite convenient with all the sturdy benches even though I do not need temperature moderation.

Access to even a simple utility sink is a plus and room nearby for pot and potting soil storage is necessary.

As close to the house as possible, as here I find myself doing some repotting on the porch attached to my house because I do have a sink there and shelter from the rain. Simple to walk out with a cup of coffee and start some seeds rather than the walk to the shade house. Then when the seeds are up I generally move them elsewhere.

I liked the greenhouse attached to my house in VA where I could turn on lights and putter around no matter the weather or time of day or even in a nightgown as it was private.

I had two full greenhouses in VA for many years. Big is best and keeping cool was really more of a challenge than warming in VA. 

Your needs in FL would not be the same as mine in either location! I would ask questions of friendly nurseries in your area perhaps as well as local plant society members and of course this forum. Your neighborhood restrictions are also a consideration.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016‎ ‎5‎:‎20‎:‎28‎, Alicehunter2000 said:

Having to heat in Naples?.....makes me laugh :lol:

I am in inland Naples where we get heavy frosts and occasional freezes each winter (but last winter was a first with no damaging frosts, just light frosts) :crying:

Oyyy I forgot to check back in on this topic! Let's get more shade house conversations going, peeps!I need ideas that are doable for the "common man".

No community restrictions as I'm in rural Naples, chickens, turkeys, guinea fowl and all! :D