IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytopokémon, gotta catch them all!

Kai

So, a few days ago I set up my complete Lytocaryum collection for a photoshoot. I'm sorry but I still refuse to acnowledge the fact these four species have been thrown into the Syagrus genus. Also, I will not be getting the Syagrus genus complete. That would mean a kind of crowded living room when winter comes.

This might be the very first picture ...ever... displaying all four Lytocaryum species at the same time.

20160808_144233.thumb.jpg.1105da4dafb01e

The large weddellianum in the back is currently producing it's 2nd and 3rd flower stalk. I dedicated a seperate topic on this plant.

Then left is the insigne producing its 8th and partial pinnate leaf, this plant was grown by Pal Meir, who lives compared to most of you, right around the corner.

The very small pot in the front-middle is a tiny itapebiense seedling, again I have to thank friend Pal for acquiring and germinating the seed.

Front-right is one out of three 1-gallon sized hoehnei's that I got from Floribunda. All three are growing perfectly since receiving the box end of july 2015.

• Upvote 7

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

This is actually the very first photo of All Four in One :greenthumb::) and a historical document! ( @edric ?) And your Weddell is a really fantastic beauty :wub:, the white outfit of the pots is also exceptionally stylish!

PS: Please cut off the dried 3rd leaf of the L insigne!

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

And here comes … the 2nd All Four in One photo: Lytocaryum weddellianum N°1301 (*2013-04-01), L insigne N°1401 (*2014-02-14), L itapebiense N°1602 (*2016-04-26), and L hoehnei N°1611 (*2016-03-02, germinated by Kai):

57b19642d125e_Lytocaryum2016-08-15P10205

And from another angle:

57b1983708563_Lytocaryum2016-08-15P10205

• Upvote 2

Thank you Pal, great contribution. As allways your palms look more than healthy. I wonder what our plants look like in a few years.

The pots will have to be kept stylish and in line with the rest of the furniture. This keeps the wife happy and tolerant of a "few" palms in the living room. I like it myself as well of course.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

:blink: Gorgeous palms! :wub: Love the Pokémon reference! haha I've been spending my lunch hours for the past month playing Pokémon Go. Takes me back to my youth ^_^ Today I had to pause my Pokémon Go exploration because there were pindo jelly palms with ripe fruit a-plenty! I gently tugged some tattered seedlings out of the ground (landscapers line trim the poor things like they're weeds! Imagine!! ;)) and collected some freshly fallen fruit.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

I just wish pindo's grew and fruited here, but I have to settle for Trachies I guess. I have a small pindo in my garden doing allright and coming through winters unscathed. Hopefully one day I can make some pindo jelly, that would be awesome but I'm not sure if our growing season is long enough for fruits to fully develop.

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

22 minutes ago, Kai said:

I just wish pindo's grew and fruited here, but I have to settle for Trachies I guess. I have a small pindo in my garden doing allright and coming through winters unscathed. Hopefully one day I can make some pindo jelly, that would be awesome but I'm not sure if our growing season is long enough for fruits to fully develop.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a pindo, outside of botanical gardens, large enough and old enough to fruit, let alone trunking! They really caught my eye :wub: They line the street of an older part of town. Each one grew a different way, some were even leaning, which I also loved. Most everywhere else in Naples is perfectly manicured with uniformly straight trees. I took a pic so I'm going to hijack your thread really quick to show you. Sorry! :blush:

Had to sign in thru my phone to share pic...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Kai, I don't accept the move to Syagrus either. Lytocaryum are far too delicate. I wish I could grow them like yours but they require cooler temps than I get in summer.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

52 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Kai, I don't accept the move to Syagrus either. Lytocaryum are far too delicate. I wish I could grow them like yours but they require cooler temps than I get in summer.

Hi Meg, I would have never thought I am privileged to live in a cool climate zone. Many times thoughts of moving to a warmer zone ran through my mind. But my Lyto's restrained me from doing so (apart from my wife who is not willing to leave Amsterdam...ever). Just making the best of things here I guess.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

48 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Meg, did you ever try L insigne? It is (also) tropical, grows on steep rocky slopes at altitudes between ca. 450 m and 1800 m in very humid environments near waterfalls or in clouds and withstands direct sun. It has much thicker, more leather-like leaflets than L weddellianum.

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Meg, did you ever try L insigne? It is (also) tropical, grows on steep rocky slopes at altitudes between ca. 450 m and 1800 m in very humid environments near waterfalls or in clouds and withstands direct sun. It has much thicker, more leather-like leaflets than L weddellianum.

I haven't tried it - much harder to find. But if it grows in the clouds it also may be a no-grow or me. This palm has to survive 6 months of days 32-35C and nights 25-27C as well as sky-high humidity. But I'm willing to do a bit of research to see if it is a candidate for my brutally relentless summers. Thanks for the tip.

Meg

Florida

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I haven't tried it - much harder to find. But if it grows in the clouds it also may be a no-grow or me. This palm has to survive 6 months of days 32-35C and nights 25-27C as well as sky-high humidity. But I'm willing to do a bit of research to see if it is a candidate for my brutally relentless summers. Thanks for the tip.

I feel better now, I'm 0 for 3 with Lyto's, 1 wedd. and 2 hoehnei outside in pots.  I thought it was just me, as is usually the case.

4 hours ago, Kai said:

Hi Meg, I would have never thought I am privileged to live in a cool climate zone. Many times thoughts of moving to a warmer zone ran through my mind. But my Lyto's restrained me from doing so (apart from my wife who is not willing to leave Amsterdam...ever). Just making the best of things here I guess.

Spend an August in Houston TX and you'll have a new appreciation for Amsterdam.  Plus, your Lyto's look way better than mine do in the compost bin  :sick:

I checked my resources and decided I can't subject a Lytocaryum of any species to a miserable death.

Meg

Florida

9 hours ago, topwater said:

Spend an August in Houston TX and you'll have a new appreciation for Amsterdam.  Plus, your Lyto's look way better than mine do in the compost bin  :sick:

Maybe you're right, but just a few zones warmer for me would mean I could grow Lyto's in my garden. Maybe move to France one day...I will have to speak to my wife again.

What do you think is the Lytocaryum goldilocks zone in Europe? That is where I shall build my retirement home...or should I just wait for global warming to fix that problem.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands