IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

DoomsDave

I planted 5 in baggy with sphagnum peat/perlite mix.  All 5 germinated :D in mid-January (4 months) with no bottom heat applied and they're still too small to photograph.  The others I planted in individual pots and none of these have germinated yet.  These have been outside but we've only had a couple of winter days so far!

• Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

4 days ago, I scraped with a knife this seed in two areas ( lost 3 doing this) until I saw the embryo and here's the result. I just hope it does not rot.

20170219_193633.thumb.jpg.f9b04fdbcd709c

20170219_193616.thumb.jpg.336eba69ea16de

20170219_193658.thumb.jpg.946f340e1e7204

Edited by foxtail
  • Upvote 5

Rio_Grande.gif

On 2/19/2017, 10:02:05, Fusca said:

I planted 5 in baggy with sphagnum peat/perlite mix.  All 5 germinated :D in mid-January (4 months) with no bottom heat applied and they're still too small to photograph.  The others I planted in individual pots and none of these have germinated yet.  These have been outside but we've only had a couple of winter days so far!

OK kids, say hello to Mr. Baggie . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I've been applying bottom heat in a container covered with saran wrap, a mini greenhouse if you will.  So far nothing from this or some coccothrinax I got around the same time.

Updates as they happen.

• Upvote 2

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

had two in a bag of moist perlite ever since I got them so far nothing . where is the best area to expose on these seeds? I really want these to succeed

I put the seeds in a Tupperware with peat moss & bottom heat. Forgot about them like Dave instructed. Decided to checked on them and had 2 that sprouted ...

IMG_6326.JPG

IMG_6327.JPG

• Upvote 5

These are 2 of my 5 seedlings showing the largest one so far.  These will eventually be planted in the landscape.

rsz_018.jpg

• Upvote 3

Jon Sunder

SCREAM

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I remain vigilant and hopeful...

• Upvote 1

how cold can these seedlings get before they get damaged? id like to try to plant one outside that has sprouted but don't want to waste a good seed

• Upvote 1

Woohoo!!! Mine have been in cup since Sept 2016. Now what????

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

• Upvote 2

Golfing by day and palm stalking at night

14 hours ago, DCdesertpalm said:

Woohoo!!! Mine have been in cup since Sept 2016. Now what????

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

Keep them in the cups till they get a few leaves, then move them to larger pots, or in the ground, if you can put them someplace they won't get stepped on when they're small.

They're best in full sun once they grow a bit, in my experience, which is at least half a day's direct sunlight.

Remember, if they're true to form as to the parent, they will get large, much larger than either B. armata or B. brandeegii.

11 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Keep them in the cups till they get a few leaves, then move them to larger pots, or in the ground, if you can put them someplace they won't get stepped on when they're small.

They're best in full sun once they grow a bit, in my experience, which is at least half a day's direct sunlight.

Remember, if they're true to form as to the parent, they will get large, much larger than either B. armata or B. brandeegii.

Thanks Dave!!!

• Upvote 1

Golfing by day and palm stalking at night

• 3 months later...

Mine have started now germinating (at least three so far) after they have spent all winter and spring outdoors in a pot with coir. They need hot conditions here to germinate.

• Upvote 1

Brahea seeds are generally really slow to germinate. I've had armata seeds sit for over a year before deciding to pop their heads out of the soil! 

• Upvote 1

I tagged mine as "brahea hybrid/ Franken-brahea"

37 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

What should be written on their tags; frankenBrahea or DD's Brahea or what?

i call them Frankies . . . (That don't go to Hollywood.)

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Frankies loved the recent inferno on my balcony. They are looking very happy and are growing faster (in 20 cm high liners of course).

IMG_20170703_100055.thumb.jpg.47ca34806a

• Upvote 3

DANCE!

ezgif.com-resize.gif.58b3fbfde3ae849b17d

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some preliminary conclusions  based on those three franken-seedlings compared to regular armata seedlings. Former have broader first strap leaf with softer tissue. Also all three seedlings have silver tinges (not quite apparent in the picture), while on armata seedlings from same mother this trait is variable.  I will post also pictures from armata seedlings for comparison. Latter are already on third or more strap leaf and still leaves remain narrower. 

IMG_20170720_095157.thumb.jpg.c4a80168c4

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Some preliminary conclusions  based on those three franken-seedlings compared to regular armata seedlings. Former have broader first strap leaf with softer tissue. Also all three seedlings have silver tinges (not quite apparent in the picture), while on armata seedlings from same mother this trait is variable.  I will post also pictures from armata seedlings for comparison. Latter are already on third or more strap leaf and still leaves remain narrower. 

IMG_20170720_095157.thumb.jpg.c4a80168c4

We're learning something!

• Upvote 1

Licky licky licky !!!! Dave's style.

Edited by foxtail
Dave's style.

Rio_Grande.gif

Two first pictures show a couple years old armata seedlings, two last ones show one y. o. seedlings of the same kind.

IMG_20170721_170454.thumb.jpg.af8209a5d4IMG_20170721_170755.thumb.jpg.34244499e9IMG_20170721_170548.thumb.jpg.984268c976IMG_20170721_170648.thumb.jpg.2274744cd9

• Upvote 1

Meanwhile I have had another (fourth) germination and from the original three seedlings two are producing a second leaf. I am the Father of the Brahea-dragons!

IMG_20170803_120022.thumb.jpg.5518855f90IMG_20170803_120039.thumb.jpg.bd9c62f67c

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 3

DANCE!

dancing5.gif.3e7c7a77228445890fc3b640a6cdancing14.gif.9c24722ee7cd9c2f4b2d5e36c9

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2017, 2:07:00, Phoenikakias said:

Meanwhile I have had another (fourth) germination and from the original three seedlings two are producing a second leaf. I am the Father of the Brahea-dragons!

LOL father of dragons! 

DAVE! IT'S...AAAALLLIIIVVVEEE! IT'S AAALLLIIIVVVEEE. (please tell me I'm the first to make that Frankenstein reference)

20170824_125957.thumb.jpg.5a1817049e3c32

• Upvote 3

YES

There's more seeds, from this year.

Shoot me a PM

• Upvote 1

I GOT ONE TO POP!!!

I hesitate to post a pic, for fear of jinxing the whole thing.  But it was happily sending 6 inches of root out curing around on the surface, so I was able to easily and harmlessly pick it out and put it in its own pot.  I small point of green sticking out now.  

And now, we wait...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

I GOT ONE TO POP!!!

I hesitate to post a pic, for fear of jinxing the whole thing.  But it was happily sending 6 inches of root out curing around on the surface, so I was able to easily and harmlessly pick it out and put it in its own pot.  I small point of green sticking out now.  

And now, we wait...

59a481bcb41eb_trumpswatcheclipse.jpg.b07

59a481f78e889_wackyfeet.gif.8afb639392f6

6 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

I GOT ONE TO POP!!!

And now, we wait...

So far, better than me.