GoatLockerGuns

Butia ID in Poti, Georgia

GoatLockerGuns

I believe this is a picture of a Butia that I took in the City of Poti, Georgia (the Republic of; not the State of) back in 2008.  Can anyone confirm if it is, in fact, a Butia; and if so, what species?  The dark green color of this palm really intrigued me and I had to take a shot.

Any assistance you can provide in identifying this palm would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

DSC_0139-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

Its a Butia for sure. One that size is an odorata, eriospatha or yatay. I leaning towards odorata based on that pic. Is the spathe fuzzy?

Brad Mondel

It's most likely a Butia odorata. They're very variable in color and frond arch. Need clean seeds to confirm. 

GoatLockerGuns

Thanks guys!

Butia odorata is definitely at the top of my list; but that color though.  I have been seeing a lot of Pindo Palms for sale here in the San Antonio area (5G to 15G range); but they are all light green (almost silvery) in color.  I have yet to find another picture of any Butia that is this same dark, dull green.

Here is another pic from a different angle.

Rich

DSC_0137-1.jpg

Edited by GoatLockerGuns
  • Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I was up the hill from my house taking photos of the sunset and decided to take a picture of this Butia in my friend's yard.  I haven't asked him how old it is and if it was there when he bought the house in 1978.  Which Butia is it?  Sorry I didn't go around to the backyard to get a better photo including the trunk.

• subsonicdrone
      By subsonicdrone
      so my butia was in decline along with my other plants this past winter indoors
      a combination of insects, overwatering and underwatering
      the yellowing started during this time
      when it came outside it put out a nice sized leaf but it was yellow as well
      after doing some reading here on the forum i found a thread which recommended adding sulphur to the soil
      Butia capitata yellowing... posted by County Ag Agent
      i have been adding small spoonfuls of sulphur and it has worked to green up the butiathank you!!
      a friend bought two foxtail palms this spring but now the spears are too tall to fit at his place
      looks like i will be plant sitting these two foxtails!
      one spent its summer not too far from me, the other was outside of toronto
      it went through some cold temps which we did not get here in toronto recently
      so some leaves have gone brown on the one

something i found interesting was out of my two mediterranean fan palms the taller one has a skinny trunk and the shorter one has much more gerth

squirrels wreaked havoc on my seedlings.. i will do a final count when they come inside but there were significant losses
      next year i will take precautions to avoid this
      here are some pics of the yard

• Brad Mondel
      By Brad Mondel
      After all of these years I finally got to buy a house with over half an acre and now almost all of the palms are planted.
      I am in zone 8a South Carolina above the fall line!
      It is a work in progress so don't judge.

• Dimovi
      By Dimovi
      What is the Butia on the left? These are from Parde Island in Texas.

• Brad Mondel
      By Brad Mondel
      I've seen thousands of Butias but never a variegated one!