Sign in to follow this  
GoatLockerGuns

Coccothrinax argentata?

GoatLockerGuns

Can anyone confirm if this is Coccothrinax argentata?  This photo was taken in 2010 at Rainbow Blue Hole on Andros Island, Bahamas.  In habitat, these palms grow straight out of the exposed coral reef ground cover; very little, if any, actual dirt.

DSC_0414.jpg

• Upvote 3

kurt decker

Thrinax morrissii (split petiole)

GoatLockerGuns

Kurt,

I could not find Thrinax morrissii on Palmpedia.  Are you referring to Thrinax radiate (http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Thrinax_radiata), otherwise known as the Florida Thatch Palm?

Also, I am not sure what "split petiole" actually looks like.  I saw Geoff Stein's discussion on Palmpedia under Thrinax radiate about the split leaf bases and its comparison with Coccothrinax; however, when I look at the side-by-side pictures I can't really tell the difference.  Here is a close up shot of another Andros Island palm at a different blue hole (Uncle Charlie's).  Is this a Thrinax too, or a Coccothrinax?

Thanks.

Rich

DSC_0027.jpg

• Upvote 1

kurt decker

Second picture is the same species. Look at the center of the trunk in the first picture. The brown leaf base, where it attaches to the trunk, splits into kind of a 'Y' shape. Coccothrinax doesn't do that.

kurt decker

Oops. The 'Y' is upside down in the picture.

GoatLockerGuns

Thanks for all the help in identifying this palm for me guys; I can see what you are talking about now with the split bases of the leaf stems.

PalmatierMeg

The name is now Leucothrinax morrisii

GoatLockerGuns

Hah...I just noticed that the main picture of the palm on the Palmpedia Leucothrinax morrisii page taken by Kyle Wicomb was at Bahia Honda State Park in the Florida Keys (http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/File:6479833723_510006e294_o.jpg).  I think I took a picture of the same palm when I was there in 2011!  Small world!

DSC_0369-3.jpg