IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pelagodoxa henryana in SFL?

PalmatierMeg

Is anyone in SFL able to grow this very rare and beautiful palm? Do you have photos? I know it needs shade and protection from wind but what winter lows can it survive?

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I have a couple growing in my yard here in Loxahatchee and they have done alright. The one in the back has been in for 3 -4 years and I just planted the front one this spring. The older has been through the lower 30's and turned a bit yellow but fully recovered. They get a lot of sun with a little protection from some tall pines.  Try it!

IMG_1427.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA

Hi Meg...  I have one that was planted out a year ago.   

From soil to top of the new spear it's 10' tall.  

I purchased it from Mike Evans who kept it in a pot on his pool deck.   

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

Very cool. Thanks, guys.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

I see them fruiting in Homestead--that's colder than me. Mine is doing fine, in nearly full sun. Water, water and water!

• Like 1

I just recently found out there's a large one in the lower Keyes( not in Key West ), that is big and started flowering. It gets partial shade BUT is planted in pure sand / gravel / limestone rock, and looks beautiful.

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

5 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

I see them fruiting in Homestead--that's colder than me. 

Braggart! 

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Well worth any effort as these are gorgeous palms. I have seen a flowering one in nearly full sun in a private garden in Miami. Sorry, no photo.

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Meg, I am with you, I would like to try one also since I now have some shade!

• Like 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Hi Meg!  I have three of these in almost full shade, another collector just visited my garden and told me that they like more sun.  They have been in the ground several years but have not grown much. 

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Paul Craft had a large one at his last home In Loxahatchee.  Yes, cool often cold in winter Loxahatchee.  The plant has more "cold" tolerance than one would think or assume.

• Like 1

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

17 hours ago, SubTropicRay said:

Paul Craft had a large one at his last home In Loxahatchee.  Yes, cool often cold in winter Loxahatchee.  The plant has more "cold" tolerance than one would think or assume.

You wanna kill one, let it dry out. 

• Like 1

:wub: I almost added one to the Floribunda order I just placed. It's on the list for my next order.

• Like 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

8 hours ago, Missi said:

:wub: I almost added one to the Floribunda order I just placed. It's on the list for my next order.

I did order one - should arrive mid-Sept. I don't remember Floribunda offering them in recent years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

17 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I did order one - should arrive mid-Sept. I don't remember Floribunda offering them in recent years.

The order form says they're new :yay: 

• Like 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 3 months later...

Is there something wrong with the feature to post pics? It is not allowing me to do so even though the size is less than 8MB? I have some great photos from a specimen in the Fairchild Royal Botanical Garden's greenhouse I took during my Jan 2016 trip. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stethoscope said:

Is there something wrong with the feature to post pics? It is not allowing me to do so even though the size is less than 8MB? I have some great photos from a specimen in the Fairchild Royal Botanical Garden's greenhouse I took during my Jan 2016 trip. 

Send me a PM if you want and we can figure it out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Photos attached are from a specimen in the ultra tropical greenhouse of Fairchild Royal Botanical Garden during my Jan 2016 trip. The pictures do not do this palm justice...it's simply stunning in real life.

Pelagadoxa pic 1.jpg

Pelagadoxa pic 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 years later...

I have a Pelagodoxa henryana doing well in Golden Beach, FL. ( Zone 10B-11). I have learned a few things by trial and error. First, I put my potted Pelagodoxa henryana in full sun and it seemed to burn the palm fronds. I moved it to partial shade and it is thriving. Second, it likes lots and lots of water. I have it growing next to my lipstick palm which also loves frequent watering. I also learned that strong winds will tear the beautiful palm fronds to pieces. Finally, I was surprised to learn that my Pelagodoxa henryana is much more cold tolerant than I expected. It easily tolerated a temperature of 41 degrees F without any damage.  By Gregg L. Friedman MD

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2