IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help design my front yard

BeauBlues

I'm bored of my clean but uninteresting curb appeal. My adjoining neighbor wants to redo her front as well. I asked if she'd be interested in palms and other tropical plants. We share a yard. I bought a bismarckia to go where the red arrow is pointing. It's fitting, because it's the center of the entire cul de sac. My house is pictured left. My only restrictions(wife), is nothing can block our house. Meaning nothing in the middle. Also, nothing that gets over 30 feet tall close to the house. I'm putting solar panels up in the near future. I'm in corona, ca zone 9b. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Planting in your front yard isn't good feng shui... Most people disregard feng shui but just saying.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

21 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Planting in your front yard isn't good feng shui... Most people disregard feng shui but just saying.

Well I'm screwed then!

• Upvote 4

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

19 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Well I'm screwed then!

Haha, well if you want to plant something, what about a Bismark? They do get over 30 feet though, but they look beautiful. Look them up. If that is not an option at all then what about Sabal minor? I believe they need a good amount of water (or at least here the seem to grow in moist, humid places) or maybe a Phoenix roebelenii, that would be a good one!

PalmTreeDude

56 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Haha, well if you want to plant something, what about a Bismark? They do get over 30 feet though, but they look beautiful. Look them up. If that is not an option at all then what about Sabal minor? I believe they need a good amount of water (or at least here the seem to grow in moist, humid places) or maybe a Phoenix roebelenii, that would be a good one!

I already bought a Bismarck. It's going where the red arrow is pointing. I should note, the small queen palms and dead robelenii on the right are on the chopping block. We have enough of those in our neighborhood. I personally have 22 queen palms. I'm looking for something that's not the usual.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BeauBlues said:

My only restrictions(wife), is nothing can block our house. Meaning nothing in the middle. 

Haha.. Sounds like my situation. :lol:

43 minutes ago, BeauBlues said:

I already bought a Bismarck. It's going where the red arrow is pointing. I should note, the small queen palms and dead robelenii on the right are on the chopping block. We have enough of those in our neighborhood. I personally have 22 queen palms. I'm looking for something that's not the usual.

Sounds like you have 22 palms to chop down:)

Maybe a Beccariophoenix alfredii replaces a few.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Sabal Steve said:

Sounds like you have 22 palms to chop down:)

Maybe a Beccariophoenix alfredii replaces a few.

I like the way you think! 

4 hours ago, BeauBlues said:

My only restrictions(wife), is nothing can block our house. Meaning nothing in the middle. Also, nothing that gets over 30 feet tall close to the house. I'm putting solar panels up in the near future. I'm in corona, ca zone 9b. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

WIFE:

wife.thumb.jpg.f89068862ddc5531f376f4404

NO WIFE:

nowife.thumb.jpg.b5e659b88b2d63dcbc36d75

:lol:

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 27

I think you need to stop by Kevin.W.  KW palms and see what grows well near you.  In the end a Bismarck palm could cast a shadow on your solar panels but that would be a long long ways away.  Don't forget don't chop down those palms turn them into Tiki's.

How about a Steel Palm Tree? Custom Palm panel Lightbox that is. It doesn't need water and it looks cool at night. Only eats 3 triple A batteries every 10,000 hrs. 

image.jpeg

• Upvote 4

Yes! Privacy and a jungle too!

You could just leave a tiny path through the palms to get into the front door.

For awhile the palms would be tiny and would not block the house if you planted them as seedlings like I (mostly) do.

By the time they got bigger maybe your wife would love them?

More seriously, I know lots of palms that stay little for me, but they grow in my shade, no hotter than 88 F and lots of free rainwater....

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Maybe you could get your wife to go for a few more palms by explaining that you will need palms to "frame" the house, and several to"frame" the front door.

Cycads, like Encephalartos, will stay fairly small for a long time, and won't block windows, or the house. You can fill in between the "framing" palms with those.

And palms won't shade the solar much -- even when they get really old.  Not like shade trees. You can also add plumerias between the groups of palms -- on the sides, and the "framing" palms.  They will not get very tall for a very long time and their flowers are both beautiful and fragrant. They are a good substitute for larger tree. And they can create a little "canopy" effect on a miniature scale. 

Bromeliads can be used to add the tropical look -- while shorter than the palms, and Cycads that will make up the main "structure"

And definitely get to Kevin Weavers and ask him what sorts of things he would recommend.

• Upvote 3

I like the Beccariophoenix idea....also the cycads and companion plants. I would also probably do some more palmate palms to round things out a bit. Maybe some L. chinensis or saribus. Both are very tropical looking palmate palms.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

12 hours ago, Axlhoss said:

How about a Steel Palm Tree? Custom Palm panel Lightbox that is. It doesn't need water and it looks cool at night. Only eats 3 triple A batteries every 10,000 hrs. 

image.jpeg

giphy.gif

Rio_Grande.gif

13 hours ago, Pando said:

WIFE:

NO WIFE:

Ahh, note to self: While out sorting through numerous applicants for this position, must be sure to take her somewhere Palmy, before making any final decisions.. If she would rather have Boxwoods and Grass in the yard, hastily place her Resume in the do not call back file..  :winkie::innocent:

Definitely search through Palmtalk for photos of other forum members' properties. There are many Californians with beautifully-designed landscapes on here. Perhaps others can provide specific names, but forum member Jim in Los Altos is one example.

Some general dos/don'ts:

Consider the plant's ultimate size carefully. Also what are its water needs? Your yard looks dry so things like Braheas might do well. Water-loving plants could thrive near your AC runoff, though, if you have one.

The use of the area and sight lines are very important. For example, you could plant low things in your front yard but don't forget to leave a usable path to your mailbox/front door.

Lastly, I'd suggest planting a small Jubaea somewhere you will want one 20 years down the road.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Did anyone notice the 2 sports cars in the garage.....nice touch...lol.:lol:

• Upvote 4

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

15 hours ago, Axlhoss said:

image.jpeg

OK seriously, I visited your website, wow mate, your art works are unbelievable/ fantastic. Congrats. 

PS: Sorry for the off topic 

Rio_Grande.gif

lol..     I think you should try an Areca.. dypsis.    or a chammy..    Do you like the Bird of Paradise?  That looks like a good location for one..  or just on the corner of the walkway and the driveway to the front door in a leveled planter...to break it up a bit...  like a well pruned Dypsis lutescens as a foundation planting of sorts.

Ive heard of people growing them in 9b

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I'm hopeless at California climate.  You can likely find some good California natives for the "hell strip" between street and sidewalk.  I haven't checked the California Native Plant Society, but they will have a good website.  Calif. has an amazing native flora. 

For front yard palms, if Dypsis plumosa is hardy in your area, two or three would hover nicely over ground plants.  The leaves tend to spread horizontally, so a relatively short plant takes up more space than you'd expect.  Very airy--would not hide the house at all.  Wonder if the cycad Lepidozamia peroffskyana would do well.  It's a good Sydney plant, attractive when young with spreading leaves a bit like that Dypsis.  It's spineless.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

On August 3, 2016 at 12:55:34 AM, Pando said:

WIFE:

NO WIFE:

Bravo!

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

I'm even further inland and would recommend Phoenix rupicola, Beccariophoenix  alfredii, any Sabal, Dypsis Decipiens, Bizmarkia, Mules, and the list can go on. That's just some I can think of at the moment. You should pay Kevin Weaver a visit.

9 hours ago, enigma99 said:

I think the D. Lutescens would probably get too hot. I also say B. Alfredii. 

Hmm..  you may be right.. I thought I heard of these growing in Palm Springs or something somewhere..even in SD?  They would be my top 3 choices..  Perhaps a skinny smaller type of Ravenea..

Beau..  Which direction does your house sit?

hahahaha!!!   Suggestions on what to plant?  Your wife.    That was rude and uncalled for but I just couldn't resist.  hahaha!  I hope your wife is not very sensitive!

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

51 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Hmm..  you may be right.. I thought I heard of these growing in Palm Springs or something somewhere..even in SD?  They would be my top 3 choices..  Perhaps a skinny smaller type of Ravenea..

Beau..  Which direction does your house sit?

The front of the house is facing mostly East.

39 minutes ago, Peter Pacific said:

hahahaha!!!   Suggestions on what to plant?  Your wife.    That was rude and uncalled for but I just couldn't resist.  hahaha!  I hope your wife is not very sensitive!

I'm not upset. I was laughing about it. She won't see it anyway. 

2 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

I'm even further inland and would recommend Phoenix rupicola, Beccariophoenix  alfredii, any Sabal, Dypsis Decipiens, Bizmarkia, Mules, and the list can go on. That's just some I can think of at the moment. You should pay Kevin Weaver a visit.

I've been planning on visiting Kevin. I've a few things to finish in the backyard first though. I like the suggestions. I think I'm getting an idea of what to do. 

On 8/2/2016, 7:35:41, Ben in Norcal said:

Well I'm screwed then!

:floor:

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 8/2/2016, 7:35:41, Ben in Norcal said:

Well I'm screwed then!

You'll have to tell her that all of those don't get very big :) 

• Upvote 1

Use  the palms a ready have as a focal point, clean out death leaves , draw  island around palms with mulch,add different colorful  bromeliad neoregelia with good size bromeliad alcantare imperialis ( if don't have it , can be use Agave americana mediopicta 'alba' , kind of colorful variegated agave that only grow to 3' to 5') group them together and grow it like an island,  tall one next to the palms and the short plant come out to the front.  Add some philodendron selloum or hope in the corner of wood fence ( it help to soften the look of the fence . Do not grow it too close to the fence and do not let its roots touching the fence either ) .This are some of the plant that grow well here in my area (9a ) under palms. Zone 9b like your could be better. Make sure you get the plant already been growing outdoor at nursery. The one in green house may get sun burn. After making island for planting, you and your neighbor would end up with a small lawn, which is good for saving water.  You guys can redo the lawn or just remove it all and replace it with different color of mulch. This way you all can even save more water in the long run. This just a simple way to add color to the yard, hope there are no animals walking around in your area that would pick those bromeliad up and bring to their home for their own bromeliad collection.   What do I know...... I'm just a Mother Nature Messenger.    

Kenneth Nguyen   

Edited by WonderKeeper

On 8/2/2016, 9:55:34, Pando said:

WIFE:

NO WIFE:

I know this is a palm forum, but the thing I liked most about this was the addition of the cars.  Such attention to detail.  But, I don't see any hookers or narcotics, so that was a miss.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I really like the idea of B. alfredii and Brahea to replace some of the queens, plus cycads like Encephalartos and Bromeliads. You could also try Sabal uresana, Ravenea xerophila and Dypsis decipiens. 

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016‎ ‎4‎:‎43‎:‎08‎, Ben in Norcal said:

I know this is a palm forum, but the thing I liked most about this was the addition of the cars.  Such attention to detail.  But, I don't see any hookers or narcotics, so that was a miss.

Thanks Ben, but how do you know what's really going on behind that massive wall of palms?  :lol:

• Upvote 3

The East facing microclimate needs to be considered also.. with lots of afternoon shade.. that could limit and expand the palm choices.  Morning sun is good for quick warm-ups.  Perhaps Dypsis baronii might be a better choice than the lutescens.  Those palms are spectacular.. just sayn' !