Las Palmas Norte

100% Truely Canadian

Las Palmas Norte

I was given a gift today, one of which is truly Canadian. A friend and fellow palm enthusiast stopped for a visit and garden tour today. We live on Vancouver Island, the largest island in the eastern Pacific ocean. His Butia capitata growing in Victoria, British Columbia, is a large flowering and fruiting palm. This in itself is a rarity in Canada, moderated by the Pacific ocean, is unique to what many people around the world believe is a land of ice and snow. Here we are mainly zone 8b to 9a and Butia can be grown to maturity.

I have what is most certainly the first ever Butia (Jelly palm) preserve grown, made and packaged on Canadian soil. Behold a Canadian first, and uniquely west coast item.

Cheers, Barrie.

Jelly Palm.jpg

• Upvote 5

Laaz

Nice Barrie. Some of the old timers down here make wine from the fruit.

Howeadypsis

Oh that's cool!

DoomsDave
27 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Nice Barrie. Some of the old timers down here make wine from the fruit.

That fruit is good! It varies from palm to palm, but the best ones are just like apricots.

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave
12 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I was given a gift today, one of which is truly Canadian. A friend and fellow palm enthusiast stopped for a visit and garden tour today. We live on Vancouver Island, the largest island in the eastern Pacific ocean. His Butia capitata growing in Victoria, British Columbia, is a large flowering and fruiting palm. This in itself is a rarity in Canada, moderated by the Pacific ocean, is unique to what many people around the world believe is a land of ice and snow. Here we are mainly zone 8b to 9a and Butia can be grown to maturity.

I have what is most certainly the first ever Butia (Jelly palm) preserve grown, made and packaged on Canadian soil. Behold a Canadian first, and uniquely west coast item.

Cheers, Barrie.

Jelly Palm.jpg

That is a first!

ChrisA

How cool!  Looks delicious! 

SailorBold

So curious as to how it tastes.  I hope my palms will fruit someday !

Las Palmas Norte

I remember tasting the fruit fresh off the tree and being surprisingly impressed. The preserve is more bland but sweet as expected.

Cheers, Barrie.

SailorBold
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎02‎:‎07‎, Las Palmas Norte said:

I remember tasting the fruit fresh off the tree and being surprisingly impressed. The preserve is more bland but sweet as expected.

Cheers, Barrie.

I have never had the opportunity.  When I read your thread I started googling looking for peoples experiences. Sounds like they taste amazing.... apparently you can eat Jubaea nuts whole (not sure if you can do that with Butia) and it tastes like a miniature coconut. I wonder if the hybrids taste different ?

Brad Mondel

Butia nuts taste just like coconut meat also. Same texture and flavor but no coconut water inside. People crack them and eat them in Brazil. 

Josh-O

enjoy!

when ever I see a fruiting one around town I always make it a point to see if I can get some of the fruit.

I love that stuff

PalmTreeDude
On July 28, 2016 at 1:08:53 AM, Las Palmas Norte said:

Cheers, Barrie.

Jelly Palm.jpg

British Columbia is basically the palm haven of Canada. Very cool!

Las Palmas Norte
14 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

British Columbia is basically the palm haven of Canada. Very cool!

Well, along the southern coastal areas anyway.

Cheers, Barrie.

PalmTreeDude
8 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Well, along the southern coastal areas anyway.

Cheers, Barrie.

Yep!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• MSX
      By MSX
      Hello everyone! I've been into palms for quite some time but this is my first experience of watching a palm grow from seed, and it happened that this is a Butia. I've been following these recommendations Germinating Butia Seed By Nigel Kembrey. Chamaerops No. 51 - published online 22-04-2005. According to the recommendations, a seed starting soilless medium contains 75% perlite and 25% vermiculite. The medium was watered only once in the beginning before placing the nuts on the top of it, now it's almost bone dry to touch. Having spent nearly a month in a container (7 days of soaking + 21 days on the top of the medium) one of the seeds(nuts) have sprouted

Two more days and it pulls the nut up burying deeper into the perlite/vermiculite medium

The article mentioned above suggests the following: "I tend to allow the seedling to develop in the perlite until the leaf is visible, and then lift it out and pot it up. This gives the best survival ratio." So, my question - should I leave the nut like this until it develops the first small green leaf before transplanting it from the soilless medium to a separate container with a regular soil based medium? Or is it okay to move it in to the soil based medium right away? Thanks!
    • Collectorpalms
      By Collectorpalms
      Anyone having any luck with pure Butia in central Texas? Initially several of the largest in the area looked like they had some green in the center. However, now more than a month later they look worse. These experience around 5F. I must have had too much faith in their cold hardiness?
      Should they be trunk cut now that the green is fading? I am asking for someone who has 7 nice ones that is hesitating. Copper fungicide applied and last checked a couple weeks and only 1 spear pulled then.

• Mr.SamuraiSword
      By Mr.SamuraiSword
      Was passing through Macon Georgia last week, and was surprised at some of the palms. Spent around an hour driving around. One place called AP's Hidden Hideaway Restaurant on 4275 Broadway Dr, had some tall Washingtonia Robusta, especially for interior GA.  Quite a bit of winter burn, 30 - 50% of fronds were fried, most fronds had some burn.

Tallest ones here,

Some of the worst burn on these,

These three seemed more like filibusta. thicker trunks and all, and considerably less burn.

Couple more, volunteer on the bottom right.

In Washington Park in downtown Macon, were a couple very old Sabal Palmetto, I talked to a few people in a palm forum on FB and they said those palms were there and around the same size 1980s, so these were probably planted at least in the 1940s

Love that Lolipop Look.

Quite a few volunteers in the park, two of which were adult palms.

Across the street from this park, was another large volunteer, growing in a sidewalk.  Shows how long the old ones have been there.

Quite a few other interesting palms around town, the Hideaway also had quite a few Chinese Fan palms, mixed in with pindos and Washys.

Plenty of nice pindos around too.

Nice one in Downtown

Plenty of other great sabals around too.

Lots of nice Trachycarpus around, but only got to take photos of these two big ones.

Young Washingtonia in downtown, looking great.

Small Chinese Fan in downtown,

The Hideaway had tons of large Sago Cycads too, total of over 40 sagos at least.

One even naturalizing. 

Speaking of volunteers, the downtown region had plenty of sabal volunteers, clearly palms have been present for quite some time.

More Sagos around town, plenty of big ones.

Keep in mind I only looked around for about an hour, so this is only the tip of the palm iceburg in Macon

• The7thLegend
      By The7thLegend
      I was going through old pics and came across this unusual palm I took a photo of at Silver Springs.  At first I thought Phoenix Roebelenii, after a closer examination it looks like an old pygmy Butia.  It's a sweet looking palm and wanted to share.  I would like one for myself now.  What do you think? 

• Marius
      By Marius
      Hi Everyone. I got these two Butias a year or two ago. They were together in a bag, but not labeled. The grower said that they were an unused one but couldn’t remember the species. It now appears that they are two different ones. Or is the purple colour not an identifying feature?  The purple one doesn’t appear to have signs of spines but the green one does. Any ideas on what it could be?