IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corypha Macropoda Palm Planting Work_July_2016

Kris

Dear Friends,

I welcome you all to another palm planting work,And this time its my favorite palm "Corypha Macropoda Palm". Like always we dug up the soil about 3feet

x 3feet by 3feet depth since our garden soil is just clayey. All our palms had grown well in washed river sand.So this time we just filled the pit only with coarse grade sandy soil,little bit of coarse grade perlite,And some neem composite since i have here termite and fire ants problem.visuals of that work can be seen in following post.And i call this operation as "Operation Sandy".Once the palm stabilizes in its new home,we will feed it with nutrients.

And my special thanks to my ranch hand,without who's help this entire work would not have been possible.

Thanks and Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here's a still of my ranch hand..

20160515_R2.thumb.jpg.53ed217cea49a6a66d

This is the pit that we dug up !

20160515_123247.thumb.jpg.118291d81264d8

We got washed river sand(coarse grade)..

20160720_R1.thumb.jpg.fdc5d5254e542fc0dd

20160720_163545.thumb.jpg.2e748bcc53a857

Edited by Kris
  • Upvote 3

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now we had to cut the barrel/container in which this palm grew all these years..

20160722_101048.thumb.jpg.b3216d57b4d1c6

20160722_101725.thumb.jpg.52def5979307b2

20160722_101813.thumb.jpg.29efdb3641a2b8

Now the palm is lowered in the pit,which is already is half filled with sandy soil to the desired level and the palm is gently lowered in to its new home..

20160722_102442.thumb.jpg.7f9cb479b855c9

We have added some course grade perlite,for come moisture retention during summer season,Since its soil now is fast draining..

20160722_102556.thumb.jpg.e39230773e03e1

A metal water pipe is placed in this pit,so that when water hose is moved around the garden it does not pull the palm fronds..

20160722_103145.thumb.jpg.ec71b1f34aa667

• Upvote 3

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now we started watering this pit with sandy soil and neem composite..

20160722_103746.thumb.jpg.68ddc74ce29f65

Now we started to flood this pit so that sandy soil levels itself and all the air pockets and empty space are compacted..

20160722_103938.thumb.jpg.18fc1b1aa8ba86

This is how it is as of now,More updates later..

20160722_104531.thumb.jpg.c5aa2a88816dc6

Thanks and love,

Kris.

• Upvote 5

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Great work, Kris.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Dear Meg Thanks for visiting this thread.

Now lets see a brief history of this palm's seed germination and its growth rate :

Some details of Corypha Macropoda Palm Itself :

Hope some day even this palm becomes fairly big enough for future generation to see and admire..

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here's a still of this baby palm...Some of its fronds are damaged while lifting it and while cutting open its container.This is the condition of the palm as of today.

20160728_114052.thumb.jpg.35f7483a9cfca8

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

That's a pretty gnarly digging tool, your ranch hand has there... Good luck with your 'bigfoot' Corypha!

• Upvote 1

Very impressive Kris !!

• Upvote 1

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Nice work Kris

• Upvote 1

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Looks great Kris!  It will be gorgeous before you know it!

• Upvote 1

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Thanks for sharing, Kris! Love the pots you're using in the photos.

It looks like the roots got pretty bound up at the bottom. Did you scrape or cut them free before planting? Or did you simply plant as-is and let nature run its course? Not a criticism, just curious is all.

• Upvote 1

Dear  Tom Petrosk,

Thanks for visiting this thread,Those pots seen above are industrial chemical barrels very strong and UV stabilized and are very cheap compared to nursery pots.We never disturb or free the roots manually,those that are seen cut were due the result of the barrel cutting and palm pulling out operation and its purely unintentional.We don't like even that to happen but cannot be avoided since the roots all try to come out of the drain holes and make contact with the garden soil below.

And Iam open to suggestions,opinions,advise and even criticism ,So kindly feel free to interact,Only then i can grow...

Lots of love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2016, 3:47:12, Kris said:

Dear  Tom Petrosk,

Thanks for visiting this thread,Those pots seen above are industrial chemical barrels very strong and UV stabilized and are very cheap compared to nursery pots.We never disturb or free the roots manually,those that are seen cut were due the result of the barrel cutting and palm pulling out operation and its purely unintentional.We don't like even that to happen but cannot be avoided since the roots all try to come out of the drain holes and make contact with the garden soil below.

And Iam open to suggestions,opinions,advise and even criticism ,So kindly feel free to interact,Only then i can grow...

Lots of love,

Kris.

Hi Kris,

I like those barrels too, but I meant your ceramic square pots. :)

Also, I just wanted to share with you that I read you should never mess with the roots of a palm since they're not like the roots of other plants. So leaving the palm alone was actually the correct choice. 

• Upvote 1