IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia fallaensis

Al in Kona

Thought I'd share my Copernicia fallaensis growing in the garden.  One of my favorite Copernicias so happy to have it growing quite well.  It grows pretty much on its own without much help other than an occasional weeding and mulching.  Rarely gets supplemental watering either.

Copernicia fallaensis  7-'16.JPG

• Upvote 25

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Glad to see you posting plenty of pics from your garden Al, your Fallaensis is a " Pearler"  Oz slang for Impressive)  Pete :) 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Al in Kona said:

One of my favorite Copernicias so happy to have it growing quite well.  It grows pretty much on its own without much help other than an occasional weeding and mulching.  Rarely gets supplemental watering either.

I have to agree, but add that I could expand that to one of my favorite fan palms period.  I wouldn't  just limit it to the genus Copernicia.  I'll second Pete's comment, it is a real "Pearler"!!!!  And the follow up question, how long in Hawaii and from what size when you planted it, to get to it's current magnificent state?

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Very nice, Al!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This is a gorgeous palm Al!  It's also on my bucket list...palms are so hard to get here in Guatemala and I had a small one planted out as a tiny seedling that a gardener ran it over with the lawnmower!

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Al, how old is that palm? I have seeds ordered. I hope to see something like that in my garden during my lifetime.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Beautiful palm!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

7 hours ago, Al in Kona said:

Thought I'd share my Copernicia fallaensis growing in the garden.  One of my favorite Copernicias so happy to have it growing quite well.  It grows pretty much on its own without much help other than an occasional weeding and mulching.  Rarely gets supplemental watering either.

that is truly a show stopper!

well done :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

8 hours ago, Josh-O said:

that is truly a show stopper!

well done :)

This genus does not do it for me, but that plant is indeed exceptional.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

6 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

This genus does not do it for me, but that plant is indeed exceptional.

yea - thats how I feel about 

Lodoicea maldivica 

Edited by trioderob

Nicely grown....would love to see some 'before' pics if you have them.

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Here are 2-before pics.  The first one was taken in 2006 and the second one was taken Dec. of 2010

Copernicia fallaense  7-28-06 (Custom).JPG

Copernicia fallaense  12-10.JPG

• Upvote 1

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Hi Al, your fallaensis is growing pretty fast now.  Looks like it does well on the dry side of the island.  Here is a pic I took in April of 2014 when we stopped by.  This makes an excellent centerpiece of your fantastic garden. I bet this is one of the palms that you were very happy that you had the insight to plant a long time ago.   What great looking flat leaves.

DSCN1727.JPG

• Upvote 4

• 3 months later...

Here is the first one I ever planted from a 3 gallon in 2011 I think... It's doing pretty well... I would claim temporary insanity on anyone who cut on any of mine...

falla.jpg

falla2.jpg

• Upvote 4

spectacular palm!!

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Amazing how pictures even capture that rarefied wiggly jiggle green of C fallaensis.

What you look for is what is looking