Jump to content
SailorBold

Filifera Update 3.5 years old

Recommended Posts

Palmfarmer

Wow they look great. like the style of the house as well. Looks like a Andalucian house, but with a flat roof. 

What is the coldest they have endured? 

Edited by Palmfarmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold
On 12/9/2020 at 8:09 AM, Palmfarmer said:

Wow they look great. like the style of the house as well. Looks like a Andalucian house, but with a flat roof. 

What is the coldest they have endured? 

Thank you..  still seeing how well they are gonna do.. overall I'm pleased- just worried at how big they are gonna get.  The lowest they have seen is 8.6f and 9f on two occasions during the winter of 2018... based from my weather underground weather station.

The house is ~ 50 years old...  I think it was marketed as a territorial... with the local Spanish influence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmfarmer
On 9/26/2020 at 5:32 AM, Darek said:

 

Axel Amsterdam Filiferas in Europe differ from those in USA-California, Nevada, etc. Washington Filiferas in US grows in natural desert conditions, i.e. dry air and sun all year round, therefore they have more leaves, leaves are cut deeper, have shorter petioles and very thick trunks . In Europe, we have less sun and high air humidity, so the filifera looks a bit different - long petioles, more massive and less chopped leaves and thinner trunks. There are also fewer leaves

You mean the ones growing in Holland? big parts of Italy or Spain lets say are pretty close to their native climate and has just as much sunlight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmfarmer

Any updates?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold

Here is an update.... 8 years from strap leaf..  ill add another pic when I trim them up and do a yard cleanup for winter.. I think I need to up the water..

20211019_110313.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr
8 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Here is an update.... 8 years from strap leaf..  ill add another pic when I trim them up and do a yard cleanup for winter.. I think I need to up the water..

To say I am jealous is an understatement.  Nice filifera!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z
On 12/9/2020 at 10:09 AM, Palmfarmer said:

Wow they look great. like the style of the house as well. Looks like a Andalucian house, but with a flat roof. 

What is the coldest they have endured? 

These are filifera growing in Sonora, Texas. It’s a drier climate than East Texas but would have seen wet conditions during our February 2021 storm. I looked it up and Sonora went through 2 nights of 0*F(-17.8*C) and 7*F(-13.9*C )a few days later.

A494E164-211E-480F-8BE0-94D5001E1B80.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Axel Amsterdam
On 10/19/2021 at 7:25 PM, SailorBold said:

Here is an update.... 8 years from strap leaf..  ill add another pic when I trim them up and do a yard cleanup for winter.. I think I need to up the water..

20211019_110313.jpg

 

Fantastic monsters Sailor. What's the large cactus in front?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jwitt

Sailorbold,

And then.......they just kind of exploded!

 

P.s. you may be a Trachy grandpa! Got some nice seeds going.(-10f survivor)

Edited by jwitt
Addition
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmfarmer
On 10/20/2021 at 2:49 AM, Meangreen94z said:

These are filifera growing in Sonora, Texas. It’s a drier climate than East Texas but would have seen wet conditions during our February 2021 storm. I looked it up and Sonora went through 2 nights of 0*F(-17.8*C) and 7*F(-13.9*C )a few days later.

A494E164-211E-480F-8BE0-94D5001E1B80.jpeg

That is crazy hardy. Is Armata as hardy in dry climate?

Wow your palms has exploded @SailorBold great work!

Edited by Palmfarmer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold
On 10/20/2021 at 1:49 AM, Meangreen94z said:

These are filifera growing in Sonora, Texas. It’s a drier climate than East Texas but would have seen wet conditions during our February 2021 storm. I looked it up and Sonora went through 2 nights of 0*F(-17.8*C) and 7*F(-13.9*C )a few days later.

A494E164-211E-480F-8BE0-94D5001E1B80.jpeg

Nice... definitely hardier than given credit for..  although Sonora is definitely a warmer growing zone Im guessing... 8b?  This is where our elevation 'helps' with those types of freezes.. I was down to 9-10f.. Im pretty sure parts of Albuquerque were colder.. to 7f... with 1 day below freezing.  I hope we get a warm winter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold
On 10/21/2021 at 7:19 PM, Palmfarmer said:

That is crazy hardy. Is Armata as hardy in dry climate?

Wow your palms has exploded @SailorBold great work!

Thank you.. near complete defoliation from last winter..

On 10/21/2021 at 6:43 AM, Axel Amsterdam said:

 

Fantastic monsters Sailor. What's the large cactus in front?

TY Axel!  Thats the Argentine Saguaro.. Echinopsis tersheckii...  another marginal plant for my zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold
On 10/21/2021 at 6:52 PM, jwitt said:

Sailorbold,

And then.......they just kind of exploded!

 

P.s. you may be a Trachy grandpa! Got some nice seeds going.(-10f survivor)

Thanks JWitt... The trunks are getting pretty big so are the leaves too..    Id love some trachy seedlings.. Im still working on my rain barrel system but thats the main reason im adding those... and will be pretty nice in a shaded area off my patio..    I still have seeds of the TorC filiferas if you are interested...  there may be 200 seedlings sprouting soon...carefully planted... somewhere..... out there...   :)   Although seedlings may be the way to go....

20211014_122014.jpg

Edited by SailorBold
Photo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jtee
47 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Thanks JWitt... The trunks are getting pretty big so are the leaves too..    Id love some trachy seedlings.. Im still working on my rain barrel system but thats the main reason im adding those... and will be pretty nice in a shaded area off my patio..    I still have seeds of the TorC filiferas if you are interested...  there may be 200 seedlings sprouting soon...carefully planted... somewhere..... out there...   :)   Although seedlings may be the way to go....

20211014_122014.jpg

Did you plant seeds throughout TorC?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jtee
On 8/13/2020 at 5:18 PM, Axel Amsterdam said:

absolutely great triplet!

I seen your pics and just though you were in Spain judging by the house and cactus but thought it kinda looks like certain spots on the west side of Albuquerque and I just now after days noticed you were in New Mexico. When I lived in Albuquerque I was always palm tree hunting!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
On 10/19/2021 at 1:25 PM, SailorBold said:

Here is an update.... 8 years from strap leaf..  ill add another pic when I trim them up and do a yard cleanup for winter.. I think I need to up the water..

20211019_110313.jpg

Its amazing to me the difference a dry climate vs a humid climate can make. I'm 7b, only miles from 8a. But I couldn't grow this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmfarmer

@SailorBold Do you mind sharing more of your palm species? Do you have Parajubea? is your Trachycarpus fast? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold
On 10/26/2021 at 12:03 AM, Jtee said:

Did you plant seeds throughout TorC?

No no...the seeds came from the TorC filiferas...  to date these are the most leaf hardy Filiferas I have ever seen... They kind of sent me on a quest of understanding the hybridizations of washingtonias.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold
On 10/26/2021 at 9:36 AM, knikfar said:

Its amazing to me the difference a dry climate vs a humid climate can make. I'm 7b, only miles from 8a. But I couldn't grow this. 

They are barely hardy here really...  while they do grow long term you wont see robusta survive long term.  Still marginal... I can make the same argument for palms in your area! 

I can only dream about planting something and not have to water it like ever..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold
On 10/30/2021 at 3:43 AM, Palmfarmer said:

@SailorBold Do you mind sharing more of your palm species? Do you have Parajubea? is your Trachycarpus fast? 

Havent tried Parajubaea...dont have any trachies yet either..  I have these Washingtonias... Chamerops Humilis.. Both varieties.. a Jubaea hybrid... a Butia hybrid... a couple needle palms, Sabal uresana and a Brahea armata...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jtee
7 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Havent tried Parajubaea...dont have any trachies yet either..  I have these Washingtonias... Chamerops Humilis.. Both varieties.. a Jubaea hybrid... a Butia hybrid... a couple needle palms, Sabal uresana and a Brahea armata...

How has the uresana done in Albuquerque? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold
19 hours ago, Jtee said:

How has the uresana done in Albuquerque? 

I'll have an update this week.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
On 11/2/2021 at 7:55 AM, SailorBold said:

They are barely hardy here really...  while they do grow long term you wont see robusta survive long term.  Still marginal... I can make the same argument for palms in your area! 

I can only dream about planting something and not have to water it like ever..

Oh believe me, we have to water. We get almost no rain between June and October, unless a tropical storm comes through. It's a battle dragging the hose around my yard to make sure everything is happy. The combination of heat and no rain is brutal on plants. I often say Raleigh has the winters of Seattle with the summers of Dubai. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk
On 10/25/2021 at 10:15 PM, SailorBold said:

I still have seeds of the TorC filiferas if you are interested... 

If you can spare some, I'd be glad to get a few.  I'm from NM but live in Oregon now.  Looking at possible purchase of acreage in TorC or possibly Caballo in the future.  I miss the desert.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jtee
2 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

If you can spare some, I'd be glad to get a few.  I'm from NM but live in Oregon now.  Looking at possible purchase of acreage in TorC or possibly Caballo in the future.  I miss the desert.

I’m from New Mexico also but live in Alabama now. I spent a month in Alamogordo/Ruidoso and really like the look of the mountains with palms and desert cacti and the wide openness. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk
1 minute ago, Jtee said:

a I’m from New Mexico also but live in Alabama now. I spent a month in Alamogordo/Ruidoso and really like the look of the mountains with palms and desert cacti and the wide openness. 

I grew up in Abq, on Kirtland AFB.  Been looking to relocate to southern NM with climate being the main factor where to choose.  9a or 9b would be ideal.  I'm in 8b here in Oregon and not looking to move somewhere colder.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...