• Similar Content

• Haddock
      By Haddock
      Out of all the coconut varieties in the world, which one would you say can handle cool temps for the longest?
    • Yunder Wækraus
      By Yunder Wækraus
      A month ago I purchased a young coconut that had been grown in a grocery bag. It had terrible root wrap, and I had to sever its thicker roots, which had fused with the bag. It looked yellow and sick, but it’s putting out a new frond now. Do you think it’s going to grow out of the root-wrap stage? (I’m also including pics of my other palms, which came with the house.)

• TokyoShowdown
      By TokyoShowdown
      So a little over two years ago I was on Maui and was able to get a sprouted coconut (about 2 inches) back to my home in Montana. Last spring it grew large enough to hit my ceiling. I had a large LED grow light over it but once it grew large enough, it just shot fronds past it. Admitting it was likely the end, I put it outside during the summer. It survived, despite some of the fronds dried out from Montana's very dry climate near the mountains. However, its growth greatly slowed and I was able to bring it back in during the fall. Well, as summer approaches, the coconut palm is still alive. So basically, how long can I slow its growth without killing it? 
    • PsyPalm
      By PsyPalm
      About a week ago I picked up a small cocos nucifera from a local plant shop here in Seattle.  Last night (after some deliberation and a whiskey or two) I decided to try and turn it into a bonsai piece.  This is my first ever attempt at bonsai as well as my first time growing cocos nucifera so I'm prepared for disaster lol.  I just wanted to share some pics of the process with you guys and see what you think
      My thinking is over the next few months the roots will grow down into the media of the bonsai pot, so when I remove the upper plastic sleeve I'll be able to remove the lava rock from underneath the coconut and have it be elevated above the soil on it's roots like stilts.
      The next step will be figuring out the best way to slice down the existing leaves and prune them into what will eventually become that small curled bonsai shape.  I've watched a lot of youtube tutorials on this and have an idea of how to do it, but if anyone has tips on the best way to do this I'm all ears, I'm pretty much winging it at this point so any help is appreciated! 
      Cheers guys! 
      Loch

• Palm_tropical
      By Palm_tropical
      I’ve came to believe that royal palms seem to be pretty reliable within 2-3 miles of the ocean in Volusia county from south Daytona all the way through new Smyrna beach Etc. There are even some tall coconut palms right on the beach at this property just north of Bethune beach in New Smyrna. I know these all made it through the freeze in 2017-2018 with some damage but they’re completely recovered with huge racks of coconuts! What’s most impressive about these larger palms is that they could rival what you’d see in south Florida! For reference I’ll post some of the royals in port orange, and the coconuts in NSB. I’ll also post my own royal palm 10 miles inland. (I know some of these plantings have been discussed prior in other threads, but these were taken about a week ago after our most recent light freeze hit the area)