IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone Got Pictures of zone 8+ Palms In Zone 7 or Below?

PalmTreeDude

On 2/1/2017, 1:28:19, jfrye01@live.com said:

It usually does, here is a picture I took last week...I hope it hangs around long enough to seed! IMG_2227.thumb.JPG.753bf4fe59d897455dd9e

Another angle: 

IMG_2334.JPG

That does not look that bad. 

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude

On 7/21/2016, 10:16:14, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Brahea armata just planted at a customer's home in Amarillo, TX 6b/7a.  He also has a needle and a mature windmill.  

Wow! Amarillo may be the most extreme climate in temperature / daily variability I've seen a Trachycarpus unprotected in. Is it ever covered or get any lights and protection in winter?

Most of them totally burned this year but almost all windmills are pushing green spears. 

• 3 years later...
On 7/25/2016 at 4:08 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Yes I sell them.  PM sent

Do you still sell filifera?

Youtube - Okpalms 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

On 7/27/2016 at 9:44 AM, smithgn said:

Thanks for the photos, GeorgiaPalms. It's interesting because Atlanta and where I live seem almost identical as far as weather and Atlanta is just a tad bit more south, yet the "palm culture" in Atlanta is very sparse, almost non-existent. It's good to see they have some specimens at the botanical gardens; and don't they have some at the zoo?

its actually 99% non-existent where I live (southern suburbs of dc) man I wish palms were planted more

Edited by climate change virginia

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Sago and fan palm in Charlotte (7b-8a).  I cover them in below freezing weather with blanket.  I can show pic but they are only a season or two old so not big yet.  Blanket really helps.

On 7/28/2016 at 12:30 PM, PalmTreeDude said:

Cool! They are starting to plant queen palms at Virginia Beach as well.

With winter protection they may actually survive year round in Va beach.

Nothing to say here. 

9 hours ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

With winter protection they may actually survive year round in Va beach.

They would definitely need protection in VA Beach, that's a really old comment I made when I thought that they were a lot hardier, I wouldn't recommend planting them there now. 

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude

On 9/2/2016 at 3:04 PM, pennerchris@gmail.com said:

The first pic is the only large Filifera that I've found in Lubbock (Zone 7b, but near the 7a border). I was told that it's been unprotected for the last 12 years, and has seen temps below 5f several times, along with tons of snow.

The second one is in Lamesa, Texas (Zone 7b). It's also been unprotected for over a decade.

Filifera.jpg

Lamesa Filifera.jpg

washy filifera is a lot harder than people think. Yes, I know Lubbock is a desert climate and that it's hardier there.

• Like 2

Nothing to say here. 

On 7/28/2016 at 4:42 PM, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

these definatly wont survive the winter.  they are only hardy to southern georgia coast and south.

Maybe they can survive a few years in Charleston with a good location downtown

Nothing to say here. 

On 9/2/2016 at 10:03 PM, PalmTreeDude said:

Filifera truly seem to be a 7b palm, 7a is about their limit. I am trying one or two of these next year in Virginia! 

That's in the desert in humid climates they're at least 8a hardy, so consider some protection.

Nothing to say here. 

On 12/10/2020 at 5:16 PM, climate change virginia said:

its actually 99% non-existent where I live (southern suburbs of dc) man I wish palms were planted more

They wouldn't do as well as in Atlanta since you're further north but you're right, they should plant at least a few needles.

Nothing to say here. 

On 12/21/2020 at 9:05 PM, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Maybe they can survive a few years in Charleston with a good location downtown

since I wrote that, I have been made aware of a couple that have been growing in Charleston, and many on southern SC islands and most of costal Georgia.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Can anyone recommend me a palm or palm trees that can thrive in Maryland or Baltimore? I did the research and nursery professionals don’t know anything about palms instead they are indoors. Can someone recommend me some palms I can plant in a ground? Also, my zone is 7b and can I get away with a zone 8a?

• 4 months later...
On 4/10/2021 at 11:35 PM, Keyon said:

Can anyone recommend me a palm or palm trees that can thrive in Maryland or Baltimore? I did the research and nursery professionals don’t know anything about palms instead they are indoors. Can someone recommend me some palms I can plant in a ground? Also, my zone is 7b and can I get away with a zone 8a?

For your location, source is most important. Find some seeds or plants from someone in 7B/8A North Carolina or VA beach for a super cold hardy Sabal but Sabal minor, needle palm and trachy's should do fine

The palms pictured are all northeast of Nashville, TN in and around Gallatin. This is a sabal minor I planted planted from a 7gal pot in the 2013-14 time frame.

34716D0A-D721-404B-B54B-2501200E3AB7.jpeg

• Like 5

Sabal tamiliapas doing awesome this year with flowers. Planted in the 2013-14 time frame.

0A16E896-A1EF-4786-B185-D789FB93D0C9.jpeg

• Like 6

Sabal minor 15gal and 7gal size planted in 2017-18 time frame.  10ft+ flower stalks this year!  

A6A13E70-55E4-458E-A810-067E2BBF7D21.jpeg

09E5FB09-DBE8-4B66-ADAE-1CE744B56E90.jpeg

• Like 4

These Needle Palms were planted in the late 90s in Belle Meade, TN, and are 8ft+ tall! The needles are still there, but the same client had me also transplant a 5ft wide agave ovatifolia to his new home that was being built.  Let me know if anyone wants me to post a photo of it. 

0A663DD9-2545-4DEC-91A7-A25A0C3CF5F6.jpeg

9E6EB83E-D318-4CAF-91AD-4C2D324CEE13.jpeg

• Like 7

Love that last picture, especially the right-half! The contrast in form between the weeping tree, upright needle,  and the other foliage is very cool! 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2016 at 4:47 PM, Henoh said:

Another Chamaerops and Sabal 'Birmingham' which is very, verry rare in Europe.I got mine as one leafe seedling from MJPapay (North Carolina).

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

The same Chamaerops this summer (second picture).

Sabal ‘Birmingham’, mentioned 5 yeras ago, situate between two Trachycarpus fortunei on southern slope in the garden.

E757ADE1-F1EE-492A-A0E0-83F129A45C86.jpeg

D6EFAA60-F1DB-491B-9B7E-6F017427BD9B.jpeg

C03F92A3-427E-4AEB-A45A-3C5DD0610853.jpeg

65094541-F935-4953-A182-953EB2309AA1.jpeg

Edited by Henoh
  • Like 3

On 7/25/2016 at 12:10 PM, ChrisA said:

And lastly a Phoenix canariensis. I absolutely love the look of these palms, in spite of the super sharp spines on them. I got a good deal on this palm at Lowe's this spring so I decided, "what the hell!".   This one will definitely be protected and is easy enough to do while it is still so small (from a 5 gallon plant). Anyone else in Albuquerque going to try, or has tried, one of these?  I've seen several in Las Cruces area although there are no mature ones. There are even some down there that survived that same awful winter (when it got down to -5 there with between +5 to +10F during the day). I am not sure what protection they received but hey, I'm all for global warming if it helps my palms look luxurious.

Also, please ignore the weeds in my backyard, I'm not a sprayer and have gotten a bit behind. But the nightshade will have to go at some point.

P_Canariensis_7_25_16.JPG

How’s this palm doing?

• Like 1

On 7/18/2016 at 6:45 PM, PalmTreeDude said:

Anyone have pictures of zone 8+ palms in zones 7 or lower? Please post them here!

This is a pic of a large butia, a 8a palm, appearing to thrive in the Raleigh area, which is zone 7b. I have one here in my yard to but I just planted it this spring. 

Butiain7B.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

I don't have any pictures with me right now.  But, I have 2 Butia's of some sort, they were sold as jelly palms here.  Then I have about 70 sabal palmettos, some from NC, LA, FL, and AL.

On 8/17/2021 at 4:53 PM, knikfar said:

This is a pic of a large butia, a 8a palm, appearing to thrive in the Raleigh area, which is zone 7b. I have one here in my yard to but I just planted it this spring. 

Butiain7B.jpg

Looks good! The Carolinas have some great palms even in the lower zones! It must be because of latitude, shorter duration freezes, longer growing season, etc. 

• Like 2

PalmTreeDude

21 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Looks good! The Carolinas have some great palms even in the lower zones! It must be because of latitude, shorter duration freezes, longer growing season, etc. 

Agreed. Living here has definitely taught me that hardiness zone isn't everything. There are SO many factors that determine success with palms. For example, windmill palms do fantastic here in Raleigh, which is the beginning of the piedmont so the soil is more clay or loamy vs the sandy soils further east. Areas further east, especially right along the coast, stay warmer in the winter. But when temps do drop, the windmills seem more sensitive to cold damage in the east. And I suspect its because of the soil difference. We had a 100 year cold event in 2018. Some windmills about an hour east of Raleigh were heavily damaged. The windmills in Raleigh had zero damage and they are never protected here, not even during that event. 

• Upvote 1