IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Now that the Bizzie is over 25' people's eyes are popping out

trioderob

I'll throw my hat in the ring.... mine doesn't draw the attention yet, as it is in the backyard of a 2 story house with plenty of other palms obscuring the view to the back.  I think the first photo was 1 or 2 years after planting my Bizzie in Carlsbad, and the photo was June 2009.  Wall in back is about 5'10" high.  The second photo was the same Bizzie taken in early June, and I'll be modest in my height estimate, it's something over 6' tall now, but how much over is up to your perspective.

20090613-IMG_3368 Bismarckia nobilis.jpg

20160502-104A1489.jpg

• Upvote 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 7/5/2016, 11:02:49, Tracy said:

Josh, I'll be over right behind Pando to pick up my solar panel seeds.  I'll take a bushel of them.

I may have to raise my prices :floor:

I'm almost sold out..

I'm glad Pano started the mad dash of business..

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

I'll throw my hat in the ring.... mine doesn't draw the attention yet, as it is in the backyard of a 2 story house with plenty of other palms obscuring the view to the back.  I think the first photo was 1 or 2 years after planting my Bizzie in Carlsbad, and the photo was June 2009.  Wall in back is about 5'10" high.  The second photo was the same Bizzie taken in early June, and I'll be modest in my height estimate, it's something over 6' tall now, but how much over is up to your perspective.

20090613-IMG_3368 Bismarckia nobilis.jpg

20160502-104A1489.jpg

is it growing in clay????

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Just now, Josh-O said:

is it growing in clay????

Yes, but I learned to amend the soil before planting.  I lost Kentia's, and D decaryi which I planted shortly after moving in to that house in 1996 to root rot.  Fortunately that lot is on a slope, so I put in terraces which help provide drainage. It is predominantly a  red clay soil, with layers of a grey colored clay that look like you could dig out and use for ceramic bowls.  Your Carlsbad house has a lot more rock than mine.  Amazing, as my Carlsbad house is roughly in the middle between you and where I am in Leucadia with the sandy soil, and all three are very different soils within less than 6 miles as the crow flies.

30 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Yes, but I learned to amend the soil before planting.  I lost Kentia's, and D decaryi which I planted shortly after moving in to that house in 1996 to root rot.  Fortunately that lot is on a slope, so I put in terraces which help provide drainage. It is predominantly a  red clay soil, with layers of a grey colored clay that look like you could dig out and use for ceramic bowls.  Your Carlsbad house has a lot more rock than mine.  Amazing, as my Carlsbad house is roughly in the middle between you and where I am in Leucadia with the sandy soil, and all three are very different soils within less than 6 miles as the crow flies.

I have one that I planted in clay, just over 5 years ago from a 15 gallon (2' tall) that was languishing in the shade at the nursery.  It got a very slight amending when I planted it.  It's level with the crown of an old garage roof.  About 12' tall today.  It's never got full sun, consistent watering, or great drainage, so they're definitely adaptable to different conditions.  Sorry, no pictures.

1 hour ago, Sabal Steve said:

I have one that I planted in clay, just over 5 years ago from a 15 gallon (2' tall) that was languishing in the shade at the nursery.  It got a very slight amending when I planted it.  It's level with the crown of an old garage roof.  About 12' tall today.  It's never got full sun, consistent watering, or great drainage, so they're definitely adaptable to different conditions.  Sorry, no pictures.

what?!?! no pic's ...

Hmmmm

lol... :)

Sunset zone 24

Hi Angel,

Thats tall,has it started flowering ?is it a male ?

Thanks

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here are few stills of our bizzy lady,i have stopped watering and feeding with fertz. it is sustaining only with rain water.And the soil is clayey.

20160617_114328.thumb.jpg.0907cab44f05b0

20160617_114352.thumb.jpg.59c9b1ff063a5f

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 9

love conquers all..

43278.gif

4 hours ago, foxtail said:

So how tall is mine?

Angel, our tallest is on per with yours so I took the torch out and reckon its between 22 to 25 ft high.    

Kris, yrs has fantastic silver/ grey colour , so does yrs Angel, our male has the same colour and the female is a much more dull grey, but that could well be from

being shaded by tall lady finger bananas for years? , its looking better since the bananas have been removed but the colour does seem to "vary" in Bismarks..

Pete :) 

56faf92dac991_2016-03-2917.51.35.thumb.j 20160617_114352.thumb.jpg.59c9b1ff063a5f

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Josh-O said:
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎02‎:‎49‎, Tracy said:

Josh, I'll be over right behind Pando to pick up my solar panel seeds.  I'll take a bushel of them.

I may have to raise my prices :floor:

I'm almost sold out..

I'm glad Pano started the mad dash of business..

Great news! Once you get them to grow, they take full sun!

27 minutes ago, Pando said:

I'd say this little Bizzy wins. About 3 miles north from my house.

SJn0quI.jpg

oWbsN8Q.jpg

Very nice and definitely one of the largest posted in this string!  The only hesitation is that the photo of the ones in Balboa Park wasn't a current photo as I recall.  Any idea which Encephalartos species the big green one adjacent to it is?  I'm guessing I should recognize the garden, but I don't.

Just now, Tracy said:

Very nice and definitely one of the largest posted in this string!  The only hesitation is that the photo of the ones in Balboa Park wasn't a current photo as I recall.  Any idea which Encephalartos species the big green one adjacent to it is?  I'm guessing I should recognize the garden, but I don't.

Tracy, this is (or was) Dr. Darian's garden, pictures taken a year ago. I don't know what cycad that is, but it's probably not there any longer.

On 7/8/2016, 9:39:04, Pando said:

Great news! Once you get them to grow, they take full sun!

:floor:

half day filtered to start out..

Sunset zone 24

On 7/8/2016, 9:42:29, Pando said:

SJn0quI.jpg

oWbsN8Q.jpg

can you post a picture of it on google earth?

Sunset zone 24

24 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

can you post a picture of it on google earth?

Here ya go

darianbizzy.jpg.92ba669da6bd0b329a9f21f2

Edited by Pando

38 minutes ago, Pando said:

Here ya go

darianbizzy.jpg.92ba669da6bd0b329a9f21f2

I knew it!

Sunset zone 24

This thread is making me want to try another Bismarckia.  Unfortunately I don't have enough space for one now without removing something else.

8 minutes ago, Jubaea said:

This thread is making me want to try another Bismarckia.  Unfortunately I don't have enough space for one now without removing something else.

Decisions.......

Well...the one I planted in Carlsbad at Roosevelt and CVD is just as young but unfortunately it's also bigger.

• Upvote 3

The one next door to Ralph Velez' place from Bo must be pretty large by now

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I guess the Bizzy dead center with Ralph's yard next door tends to make it look small!!!! hahah

rvb.thumb.png.613ab8c4353a9d4c1c19702b3c

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I guess the Bizzy dead center with Ralph's yard next door tends to make it look small!!!! hahah

rvb.thumb.png.613ab8c4353a9d4c1c19702b3c

Thanks Bill! Always great to see that this particular Bismarckia is doing so well! And yes, Ralph bought it from me around 1994 when I was selling my collection in Poway. I believe it was in a 5 G pot at the time.:)

• Upvote 3

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

On 7/8/2016, 2:34:30, Kris said:

Hi Angel,

Thats tall,has it started flowering ?is it a male ?

Thanks

Kris.

Hi my brother,

Started flowering this year, first time of it life.

About the 'sex', I didn't knew it until @Pedro 65 post.

Yours are extremely beautiful.

Peace and love 

Angel 

Edited by foxtail
  • Upvote 1

Rio_Grande.gif

On 7/8/2016, 6:11:50, Pedro 65 said:

Angel, our tallest is on per with yours so I took the torch out and reckon its between 22 to 25 ft high.    

Kris, yrs has fantastic silver/ grey colour , so does yrs Angel, our male has the same colour and the female is a much more dull grey, but that could well be from

being shaded by tall lady finger bananas for years? , its looking better since the bananas have been removed but the colour does seem to "vary" in Bismarks..

Pete :) 

So mine is male, right?

Rio_Grande.gif

On 7/8/2016, 12:42:29, Pando said:

SJn0quI.jpg

oWbsN8Q.jpg

Hmm, to be honesty, I don't know why, but I don't want mine get tall like this one.

Edited by foxtail

Rio_Grande.gif

14 minutes ago, Tingtongthai said:

bizzie is a VERY fast grower here, these one 3  years old now from 12 inch high plant

land (1).jpg

land (2).jpg

land (3).jpg

Wow, what a beautiful paradise and bizzies too.

Thanks for sharing.

Rio_Grande.gif

Here is a green and silver planted together and free on gumtree if you care to remove them.

20160710_090452.thumb.jpg.38b8810db1623e

Regards Neil

• Upvote 4

I thought I am good with the species (from seeds) I`ve got already but it seems that a bizzie is

somehow always a special one among the palmtalkers ;) and I can`t resist to confess that it is

probably an exceptionally interesting and good looking one - well, I should consider to buy some seeds of that

species when doing my my next online order...

best regards

Here's my two Bizzy's.  LH side planted in 2003, RH side planted early 1998 - both from 20L bags.

331gd4z.jpg

• Upvote 3

My lady bizzie flowered for a few years before setting mature fruit (dropped dime sized) fruit as there were no boy bizzie around to meet her needs. When the 2 boys started to flower seedlings became a problem in mulched beds.

Male flower stem

pizap.com14681569661551.thumb.jpg.76f00c

Female  with fruit

pizap.com14681570535771.thumb.jpg.9b0598

seedlings

pizap.com14681571365821.thumb.jpg.5d0120

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Well...the one I planted in Carlsbad at Roosevelt and CVD is just as young but unfortunately it's also bigger.

I'm trying to recall what year that was planted.  CVD aka Elm or now Carlsbad Village Drive, is on the main street going through old Carlsbad, CA, in a public planting.  At the time, it was a very unusual public planting here in Southern California.  I was actually surprised and impressed when it went in.  If I'm not mistaken that is city property, as it is on the corner where the free downtown parking is located.  Good coup getting that one installed!

11 hours ago, foxtail said:

Hmm, to be honesty, I don't know why, but I don't want mine get tall like this one.

I guess there is a certain liability factor to any of the large palms when they get big and fronds drop.  Perhaps you were referring to the aesthetic value of having it lower and more at a scale that is easily viewed though?

7 hours ago, Tracy said:

I'm trying to recall what year that was planted.  CVD aka Elm or now Carlsbad Village Drive, is on the main street going through old Carlsbad, CA, in a public planting.  At the time, it was a very unusual public planting here in Southern California.  I was actually surprised and impressed when it went in.  If I'm not mistaken that is city property, as it is on the corner where the free downtown parking is located.  Good coup getting that one installed!

Tracy, I planted it about 10 years ago because I DO work for the city. They kinda gave me carte blanche to play with the Downtown area and the Bismarkia has generated the most positive responses. Enough of these city landscapes that are straight outta Martha Stewart's plant palette! City scapes need more soul.

• Upvote 2

Here's Ralph Velez's, picture752.thumb.JPG.83a78f5bf5f88f31f9d2099fe2 taken today.

It grew a bit since Bill's picture.

• Upvote 5

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.