IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Now that the Bizzie is over 25' people's eyes are popping out

trioderob

I like that cool 12 foot tall car. :-)

• Upvote 5

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

2 hours ago, _Keith said:

I like that cool 12 foot tall car. :-)

the one with the special tinted windows?

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

th?id=OIP.M4028af1fe1a1261925eaa3f639526optical illusion Dudes - the car is a Honda Fit

small car

but I took out the tape measure when taking the photo and it was more than 20' across - from side to side

I will take a photo end of summer and it will be close to 30' as it had 5 unopened spears

later days.....

Edited by trioderob

10 minutes ago, George Sparkman said:

Numbers aside it is a great looking specimen in SoCal.

Agree here.....

Rob:

Thanks for the pictures of a magnificent palm we don't see enough of!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

21 hours ago, Pando said:
On 7/4/2016, 9:00:01, Josh-O said:

because its shading out my solar panels I grew from seed 10 yrs ago.

You gotta tell me where you got the seeds for solar panels

Josh, I'll be over right behind Pando to pick up my solar panel seeds.  I'll take a bushel of them.

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

3 hours ago, George Sparkman said:

Numbers aside it is a great looking specimen in SoCal.

Sure is. Very nice looking palm indeed 

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Rob, truly a fine looking specimen and sure to awe everyone who sees it in person. Buuuuutttt, 25' tall is equivalent to two and a half stories up a building (or well into the third floor). Can you get a shot of the tree without the "little" Honda in front of it?

• Upvote 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Honda Fit is 5ft 0in high and 13ft 4in long.

http://www.edmunds.com/honda/fit/2015/features-specs/ 

A 20ft span would roughly put each leaf at about 10ft long. The car is parked just about at the base and the end of the leaf goes to end of the windshield so I'll give him the width but 25ft tall is a stretch. Rob have you been using the same ruler used by fisherman and teenage boys bragging on the internet?

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, rick said:

A 20ft span would roughly put each leaf at about 10ft long. The car is parked just about at the base and the end of the leaf goes to end of the windshield so I'll give him the width but 25ft tall is a stretch. Rob have you been using the same ruler used by fisherman and teenage boys bragging on the internet?

Atleast it a Bismarkia thats on its way,   it didnt get away  :)  and with the car parked a little closer it would only need 3 ontop of ea other to "equal" the top which is 15 ft, why lie ?  the picture tells the truth , plain n simple, end of story. :)

2 hours ago, rick said:

each leaf is 10" long as just checked with tape measure

read up on a subject called perspective before calling me a liar

perspective.jpg

Edited by trioderob
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, trioderob said:

perspective.jpg

What about the    "Height"     Rob ????  The Little Car "shows all"  I think eh :wacko: Truth is better than Fiction,  "Sorry" for wearing my heart on my  sleeve n pissn you off.   Pete :) 

• Upvote 1

Man, now that everyone's all excited about Bismarcks, I thought I'd take the opportunity of showing a few from around San Diego!

6'

IMG_2184.thumb.jpg.8edc75fe9c82b0dccc1dc

8' - 9'

IMG_3505.thumb.jpg.cf507fd06e29c0ef7a656

12' - 14'

IMG_2132.thumb.jpg.38b516bce8c5933a444bc

15' - 16'

IMG_3512.thumb.jpg.752ac94149b5f2d681a81

IMG_3514.thumb.jpg.8290012355c9b815d59d0

Here's a bismarck that I've been watching for almost 10 years now, and has put on about 5' trunk in that period.  I just saw it today, but didn't take a picture.  Maybe 17' tall.  The front wall is 6'.

IMG_2687.thumb.jpg.5366069fa0e7c76783d35

And here's two that everyone knows.  Pictured the bigger one is about 30' - 35' tall.  They've maybe grown 5' taller since that pic, that I took years ago.  That's what a big bizzie looks like out here.

IMG_2150.thumb.jpg.4b4b547c8d79320b1fce4

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, trioderob said:

perspective.jpg

Like I said the width claim appears correct. Im merely pointing out that the height claim appears suspect. Yes the honda in front would appear larger than it is when compared to the bizzie but the one story house behind it doesn't lie either. As Jim pointed out 25ft is more than 2 stories and even with the perspective the roof line comes to center of the crownshaft.  Also a little tip, when shortening measurements " is the abbreviation for inches and ' is for feet. Its still a nice looking bizzie.

ive been gone forever but my first thought when i saw the title was "he has no pic" hahahah. nice tree rob! i remember your last pic when it first started trunking. mine was planted 5 years ago from a 5 gal and has trunk now. its a fatty. 

• Upvote 1

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Nice palm! Bismarckia definitely isn't slow once it hits it's stride. Over here that seems to be once the roots are deep enough to get to the ground water (which is between 10-20 feet deep). 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I would love see some pics of your Dypsis madagscariensis growing next to your Bismarckia.

Mike Ricigliano

New Smyrna beach

Florida, zone 9 Beachside

13 hours ago, trioderob said:

16 hours ago, rick said:

Rob have you been using the same ruler used by fisherman and teenage boys bragging on the internet?

:floor:

That would make the tree about 20 inches wide.

• Upvote 1

Had to pull my Corvette out of the garage and park it next to my massive bizzy trunk. Mine is way bigger than Robs...jes sayin

image.jpeg

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Jastin said:

Had to pull my Corvette out of the garage and park it next to my massive bizzy trunk. Mine is way bigger than Robs...jes sayin

image.jpeg

:greenthumb:

You unlocked the secret for sure!

• Upvote 1

image.thumb.jpeg.1dd8bb3c759c846573478c8While we're at it, here's my front yard Bismarckia getting its morning sun. A five gallon planted twelve years ago so it's taken time to get where it is given it's in full shade in the afternoon all year. Parajubaea torallyi to its left.

• Upvote 6

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

56 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

image.thumb.jpeg.1dd8bb3c759c846573478c8While we're at it, here's my front yard Bismarckia getting its morning sun. A five gallon planted twelve years ago so it's taken time to get where it is given it's in full shade in the afternoon all year. Parajubaea torallyi to its left.

How is your lemur Jim? Mine died last winter after that cold snap. Was in the ground for 2 years! Of course it was the first year I decided not to cover anything 

Here's the Hoopers' specimen with their non Hobbitty garage door behind it.image.thumb.jpeg.8d812b6a1a9529fd901e515

• Upvote 4

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

32 minutes ago, Jastin said:

How is your lemur Jim? Mine died last winter after that cold snap. Was in the ground for 2 years! Of course it was the first year I decided not to cover anything 

32 minutes ago, Jastin said:

Jastin, dead. It couldn't handle our month long cold spell last December. Dark, cloudy, damp, and chilly are not what make a lemur prosper. It was fun watching it grow so well for three years but long term it wasn't to be. 

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

4 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Jastin, dead. It couldn't handle our month long cold spell last December. Dark, cloudy, damp, and chilly are not what make a lemur prosper. It was fun watching it grow so well for three years but long term it wasn't to be. 

Ouch, was just about to ask myself.

1 hour ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

How old is the Pj t.? In your area did it burn at all during the summer when it was small? In southern AZ the older leaves on mine are crispy this summer. 

48 minutes ago, kirkhutch said:

How old is the Pj t.? In your area did it burn at all during the summer when it was small? In southern AZ the older leaves on mine are crispy this summer. 

Show us pictures of your tor tor!

5 hours ago, kirkhutch said:

It's ten years old from a one leaf seedling planted directly in the ground. Our summers are mild here in the South Bay Area so there's never been any burning at all to speak of. Torallyi can handle some heat as long as things cool down at night.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

20 hours ago, Jastin said:

ive been gone forever but my first thought when i saw the title was "he has no pic" hahahah. nice tree rob! i remember your last pic when it first started trunking. mine was planted 5 years ago from a 5 gal and has trunk now. its a fatty. 

He's back!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Are they getting more sun with the queen out of there, Jim?  It looks a little like they are...

Considering I started with 15g Ptts, and considering how much they have grown in just a couple of years, I can't wait to see what mine look like after 10 years!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I know how we can settle this.  Take a picture of with Dave' shoe next to it.  If the palm is 4 times the size of Dave's shoe, it is 25' fall.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Are they getting more sun with the queen out of there, Jim?  It looks a little like they are...

Considering I started with 15g Ptts, and considering how much they have grown in just a couple of years, I can't wait to see what mine look like after 10 years!

Ben, the sunny picture was taken at 9:30 AM. The Parajubaea was not affected much by the queen other than the trunks butting up to each other. It was a sparcely leafed queen. The Bismarck is still under a taller queen, a Trachycarpus, a Butia, and the Parajubaea.IMG_0389.thumb.JPG.f6d2a2526035b90cb60b9IMG_0415.thumb.JPG.3161b0e7129da1a9eab44

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0395.JPG

• Upvote 4

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page