Peter Timmermans

Biennial 2016 Coco de Mer

Peter Timmermans

Still sorting out my 8000+ photos of the 2016 Biennial and Post-Biennial. Both trips were a perfect mix of cultivated palms and palms in habitat. I had a great time, so a big thank you  to everyone who organised and attended the trips! One of the higlights was of course the iconic Double Coconut with leaves up to 10 m2 growing in the botanic gardens of Singapore and Darwin. An amazing palm considering the poor conditions in which it grows in the Seychelles.

1 (Large).JPG

IMG_0025 (Large).JPG

IMG_0029 (Large).JPG

IMG_0030 (Large).JPG

IMG_0031 (Large).JPG

IMG_0038 (Large).JPG

IMG_0048 (Large).JPG

IMG_0058 (Large).JPG

• Upvote 3

doranakandawatta

An amazing palm considering the poor conditions in which it grows in the Seychelles.

What do you mean by "poor conditions", Peter ?

Personally I wish some botanic gardens or lucky garden owners would be inspired by the beautiful ecosystem we can see in Vallée de Mai.
thanks,

Philippe

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Elvis Cruz
      By Elvis Cruz
      This past Sunday, February 17, 2019, the CBS Sunday Morning show did a segment on "The Seychelles' Coco De Mer tree".  The story is entertaining and informative, although palm aficionados may be disappointed that neither the word "palm" nor the botanical name, Lodoicea maldivica, are mentioned.
      You can see it by clicking here.
    • redant
      By redant
      Not the double you where probably thinking of. She runs a landscape company, found this bad boy for sale $2,000 wholesale. 

• david100
      By david100
      I have a section from a triple segment coco de mer.
      I cannot seem to find anything about it on the internet.
      Can anyone help me and point me in the right direction?
    • JEFF IN MODESTO
      By JEFF IN MODESTO
      IPhone video that I took in March of the double Coconut at Foster Botanical Garden in Honolulu.

http://youtu.be/JwOJAhTpRbM