IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rain Machine

gsytch

Here is SW Florida we did well, I had 10.02" of rain in the month of July. Today we received .44". I hope you guys that are on the dry side get some good rain soon.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Daytona Beach official July rain =   0.71 , coming in a single event , early in the month .

Dry ,very dry ,  but on the bright side , less Skeeters .

July finished well above normal in rainfall, in excess of 10 inches. It rained so often, just not the torrential deluges, just good rains consistently. Even today, we had an afternoon 20 minute rain. Thundering again now. I see how dry the east coast was for July. Amazing when we get into patterns. June for me, hot and dry. I think this week's moisture should enable everyone to get rains. An excessive amout of moisture is pluming up from the tropics. :rolleyes:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

It has been raining since Friday HARD, on and off but mostly steady. I would say easily 4-5 inches worth, Clouds have kept temps down, and other than the extra humidity, it has been quite pleasant. Even the AC in the house is not going on much. However, this rain is not always good for the plants...too much can hurt. It will be nice to see the sun out soon, I hope.

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

28 minutes ago, gsytch said:

It has been raining since Friday HARD, on and off but mostly steady. I would say easily 4-5 inches worth, Clouds have kept temps down, and other than the extra humidity, it has been quite pleasant. Even the AC in the house is not going on much. However, this rain is not always good for the plants...too much can hurt. It will be nice to see the sun out soon, I hope.

I think you're getting a lot more than we are this time around. It has maybe rained 1" here.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

On 8/1/2016, 6:29:01, Palmaceae said:

Here is SW Florida we did well, I had 10.02" of rain in the month of July. Today we received .44". I hope you guys that are on the dry side get some good rain soon.

You should consider yourself fortunate........as close as i am to you, July totaled 2.65 inches, and most of the events were less than .3 inches.  August is shaping up a bit better....it's still early.

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Despite 1.65" on Thursday, we have had nothing since and have just not had a sustained normal rainy season pattern this summer.  We may have a wet remainder to August and September.  Still, I declare this rainy season, in a traditional sense, a bust.

10 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Looks like parts of Florida are in for some HEAVY rain.

link >>> Florida Rain

Let's hope so!  Without major flooding of course.

It continued heavy yesterday, and with several; more inches. It is currently raining yet again, after some heavier showers. Outlook has heavy showers this morning coming ashore. I would say this event yielded 8 plus inches so far. Feast or famine is how the rainy season goes lately. It seems like the sun may never appear! :o

Two dry, sunny days before last night helped. Today we just missed a big storm, so the drying continues. Lord did the yard JUMP with this rainfall. Saturday is suppose to be drier, which will also help. Just hope it doesn't go away completely.B)

6" so far this month.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

18" in last 36 hours and still coming.  Flooding abounds.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

17 hours ago, _Keith said:

I have seen on the news flooding reports where 1000 people have had to be rescued, scary for those involved. In Texas, we got two of these events last spring and I was wondering how long it would be before Louisiana and/or Florida got hit. The Louisiana rains moved into Texas last night and Houston got 2-7 inches. This rains were well needed as it had been 100 in Houston for nearly a week now without adequate rain in the last month. I don't expect the extreme rains here that you guys have had. I am sure the Sabals don't mind but good luck to the citizens of Louisiana.

Ed in Houston

21 hours ago, _Keith said:

Ya ... saw the dramatic news footage. Looks terrible.

Cheers, Barrie.

100+ year flood event.  I have friends across the state who have lost homes, some in places that were never known to flood in written history.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Been looking over Twitter feeds. Saw a report of upwards of 7,000 rescues thus far.. Also saw that 31.39" of rain has fallen near Watson, LA, nearly double the 16.43" that fell during Katrina.. Wow!.

I hate to read of the rampant devastating floods occurring in many areas of the south.  I really hope there are no further casualties and that this area can dry out and get set into a more typical weather pattern for a sustained period of time.

I feel like our true "summer" hot and muggy has only set in since early August.  Good rains and gusty winds (good to purge excess debris from trees) have impacted most of the Orlando area the past 2 days.  Orlando Int'l gusted to 59 mph yesterday and the gusts were probably more like 40 mph where I was in Winter Park.  So we are roughly normal on rainfall for August to date at my location now.  Humidity during the day is finally up and the dew points have been in the upper 70s F recently.

9 hours ago, _Keith said:

100+ year flood event.  I have friends across the state who have lost homes, some in places that were never known to flood in written history.

Hey _Keith, been seeing heartbreaking video of flooding down your way and reading about it online. Read something like 10,000 in shelters and 20,000 have been rescued. That's really devasting numbers and sure many still have not recovered completely from Katrina. Anyway thought of you and have been wondering how you are doing. I saw your thread back in 2008 when Hurricane Gustave came through and flooded where you were at. Really hope you guys are OK. 

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

10 hours ago, WestCoastGal said:

Hey _Keith, been seeing heartbreaking video of flooding down your way and reading about it online. Read something like 10,000 in shelters and 20,000 have been rescued. That's really devasting numbers and sure many still have not recovered completely from Katrina. Anyway thought of you and have been wondering how you are doing. I saw your thread back in 2008 when Hurricane Gustave came through and flooded where you were at. Really hope you guys are OK. 

We are fine, but heartbroken for so many friends and family that flooded.   Just saw the final stats, our area got 22 inches of rain in under 32 hours.   Heard some areas had rainfall at 30+ inches.  Even the best drainage cannot sustain that.  Getting tired of making history down here for sure.

39 minutes ago, _Keith said:

We are fine, but heartbroken for so many friends and family that flooded.   Just saw the final stats, our area got 22 inches of rain in under 32 hours.   Heard some areas had rainfall at 30+ inches.  Even the best drainage cannot sustain that.  Getting tired of making history down here for sure.

Unbelievable.. I hope everything will be ok.. that is very disheartening. I saw the news and weather reports from the area.. whatever that was.. it had an eyeball... some kind of land hurricane.  It had rotation.

I cant comprehend 22 or 30 inches.. we get a 2 inch rainfall here and it tears sidewalks apart.  That's just incredible.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

This was catastrophic. I am fine, but I countless friends and a few family members who are not.   For those who keep up with the national news, you know that Louisiana is not stranger to flooding, but this was a true anomaly flooding areas that had never flooded in recorded history.   Here is a well balanced article on the subject.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/08/louisianas-1000-year-floods-inundated-80000-homes-and-businesses/

• 3 weeks later...

Well , Hermine , and the rest of the State of FLA aside , here is a story in the Daytona Beach News Journal of today.

I spent most of the summer watering , and my place was somewhat drier than the official reporting station .

Link:

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20160905/daytona-beach-deland-had-driest-3-month-summers-on-record

• Upvote 1