IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhapis humilis from Seed ???

Pal Meir

One Rhapis grown up from seed purchased in 1981 as R. humilis turned out to be R. subtilis and one sold in 2003 by RPS to be R. micrantha, another one sold as R. excelsa and at first supposed by me being R. humilis is most likely Rhapis cochinchinensis = laosensis. So the question once asked by @Alicehunter2000 remains unsolved: Is there anyone who germinated Rhapis humilis from seed, i.e. an actual one which matches the descriptions by Hastings 2003 and Henderson 2009 and not only one »sold as«?

Any (also negative) experiences are welcome, please post pics of your seedlings or plants which germinated from seeds sold as »R. humilis«.

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Not excelsa .... but don't know more than that ... Pal...what do you think? It's been growing pretty well. Sold to my friend as humilis via RPS.

2016-06-23 08.10.12.jpg

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

1 hour ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Not excelsa .... but don't know more than that ... Pal...what do you think? It's been growing pretty well. Sold to my friend as humilis via RPS.

The shape of the leaves is very similar to my Rhapis (seed sold as R excelsa in 2004) which I suppose now is most likely R cochinchinensis = laosensis: »apices with irregular dentate secondary splitting«. :indifferent: But I’m not sure …

576bf0c6e85c2_RhapisAlicehunter2016-06-2

• Upvote 1

also I have 2 humilis made by seed, but are painfully slow that I doubt that are  humilis

GIUSEPPE

4 minutes ago, gyuseppe said:

also I have 2 humilis made by seed, but are painfully slow that I doubt that are  humilis

All Rhapis grown up from seed are the first years very sloooooow, :asleep: in contrast to those grown up from suckers (like most or even all R humilis). — But why don’t you post a photo of your babies?

Pal sorry for the photo, right now I'm at work,

I found Rhapis robusta very fast growth even these facts from seed,Pal can confirm that  Rhapis robusta that is not very slow growth?

GIUSEPPE

32 minutes ago, gyuseppe said:

Pal sorry for the photo, right now I'm at work,

I found Rhapis robusta very fast growth even these facts from seed,Pal can confirm that  Rhapis robusta that is not very slow growth?

Which one of the two R robusta at RPS?

576c28cc87bdb_RhaRobRPS.jpg.e4af2d38abec

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gyuseppe said:

the my  rhapis robusta look like this

The appearance of this type of »R robusta« does not match the descriptions of R robusta published by Hastings 2003 and by Henderson 2009. Please post some pics of yours, or even better post them in the thread »Rhapis chaotica«!

These fatties look very similar to the left-hand plants above. Are they robustas?

JT

576cf2c697f84_049(4).thumb.JPG.9452ffd84

• Upvote 1

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

1 hour ago, JT in Japan said:

These fatties look very similar to the left-hand plants above. Are they robustas?

JT

It looks to me more like a variation of R excelsa. What is the diameter of the stems (a) with sheaths and (b) without sheaths?

576d0937d2316_RhapisJT-J.thumb.jpg.48d90

• Upvote 1

9Nice thread...iam a fan of R.humilis,R.multifida and R.Robusta. here all nurseries stalk only one variety and give to coustomers by the name they ask...:huh:

Here is the visual of the ones that we have at our house..

20160624_132116.thumb.jpg.5a2a2b722b9a8b

20160624_132103.thumb.jpg.220c7fcb941010

Btw is my variety a dwarf ? Because one clump of Rhapis which was placed in the ground for 22 years in fun sunlight has not crossed more than 3feet in height but is clumping densely.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

28 minutes ago, Kris said:

9Nice thread...iam a fan of R.humilis,R.multifida and R.Robusta. here all nurseries stalk only one variety and give to coustomers by the name they ask...:huh:

Here is the visual of the ones that we have at our house..

Btw is my variety a dwarf ? Because one clump of Rhapis which was placed in the ground for 22 years in fun sunlight has not crossed more than 3feet in height but is clumping densely.

Love,

Kris.

Hello Kris, all your Rhapis look to me like »normal« R excelsa.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Dear Pal Meir..in that case I must start search for the other 2 Rhapis...

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 years later...