Pal Meir

Rhapis humilis from Seed ???

Pal Meir

One Rhapis grown up from seed purchased in 1981 as R. humilis turned out to be R. subtilis and one sold in 2003 by RPS to be R. micrantha, another one sold as R. excelsa and at first supposed by me being R. humilis is most likely Rhapis cochinchinensis = laosensis. So the question once asked by @Alicehunter2000 remains unsolved: Is there anyone who germinated Rhapis humilis from seed, i.e. an actual one which matches the descriptions by Hastings 2003 and Henderson 2009 and not only one »sold as«?

Any (also negative) experiences are welcome, please post pics of your seedlings or plants which germinated from seeds sold as »R. humilis«.

• Upvote 1

Alicehunter2000

Not excelsa .... but don't know more than that ... Pal...what do you think? It's been growing pretty well. Sold to my friend as humilis via RPS.

2016-06-23 08.10.12.jpg

• Upvote 1

Pal Meir
1 hour ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Not excelsa .... but don't know more than that ... Pal...what do you think? It's been growing pretty well. Sold to my friend as humilis via RPS.

The shape of the leaves is very similar to my Rhapis (seed sold as R excelsa in 2004) which I suppose now is most likely R cochinchinensis = laosensis: »apices with irregular dentate secondary splitting«. :indifferent: But I’m not sure …

576bf0c6e85c2_RhapisAlicehunter2016-06-2

• Upvote 1

gyuseppe

also I have 2 humilis made by seed, but are painfully slow that I doubt that are  humilis

Pal Meir
4 minutes ago, gyuseppe said:

also I have 2 humilis made by seed, but are painfully slow that I doubt that are  humilis

All Rhapis grown up from seed are the first years very sloooooow, :asleep: in contrast to those grown up from suckers (like most or even all R humilis). — But why don’t you post a photo of your babies?

gyuseppe

Pal sorry for the photo, right now I'm at work,

I found Rhapis robusta very fast growth even these facts from seed,Pal can confirm that  Rhapis robusta that is not very slow growth?

Pal Meir
32 minutes ago, gyuseppe said:

Pal sorry for the photo, right now I'm at work,

I found Rhapis robusta very fast growth even these facts from seed,Pal can confirm that  Rhapis robusta that is not very slow growth?

Which one of the two R robusta at RPS?

576c28cc87bdb_RhaRobRPS.jpg.e4af2d38abec

• Upvote 1

gyuseppe

rhapis-robusta.jpg

the my  rhapis robusta look like this

• Upvote 1

Pal Meir
1 hour ago, gyuseppe said:

the my  rhapis robusta look like this

The appearance of this type of »R robusta« does not match the descriptions of R robusta published by Hastings 2003 and by Henderson 2009. Please post some pics of yours, or even better post them in the thread »Rhapis chaotica«!

JT in Japan

These fatties look very similar to the left-hand plants above. Are they robustas?

JT

576cf2c697f84_049(4).thumb.JPG.9452ffd84

• Upvote 1

Pal Meir
1 hour ago, JT in Japan said:

These fatties look very similar to the left-hand plants above. Are they robustas?

JT

It looks to me more like a variation of R excelsa. What is the diameter of the stems (a) with sheaths and (b) without sheaths?

576d0937d2316_RhapisJT-J.thumb.jpg.48d90

• Upvote 1

Kris

9Nice thread...iam a fan of R.humilis,R.multifida and R.Robusta. here all nurseries stalk only one variety and give to coustomers by the name they ask...:huh:

Here is the visual of the ones that we have at our house..

20160624_132116.thumb.jpg.5a2a2b722b9a8b

20160624_132103.thumb.jpg.220c7fcb941010

Btw is my variety a dwarf ? Because one clump of Rhapis which was placed in the ground for 22 years in fun sunlight has not crossed more than 3feet in height but is clumping densely.

Love,

Kris.

Kris

Here's the one that I was saying..

20160624_164555.thumb.jpg.19ca260fa3319920160624_164606.thumb.jpg.cbd4b7c92591ef

Pal Meir
28 minutes ago, Kris said:

9Nice thread...iam a fan of R.humilis,R.multifida and R.Robusta. here all nurseries stalk only one variety and give to coustomers by the name they ask...:huh:

Here is the visual of the ones that we have at our house..

Btw is my variety a dwarf ? Because one clump of Rhapis which was placed in the ground for 22 years in fun sunlight has not crossed more than 3feet in height but is clumping densely.

Love,

Kris.

Hello Kris, all your Rhapis look to me like »normal« R excelsa.

• Upvote 1

Kris

Thanks Dear Pal Meir..in that case I must start search for the other 2 Rhapis...

Love,

Kris.

palmsOrl

Is this Rhapis humilis on the right half of this hedge?

D1AB04B2-1DB0-469A-A13A-B9D5F40D1425.jpeg

palmsOrl

3E60FDB8-DB0B-4B53-8054-69F6CE8CDE2B.jpeg

palmsOrl

FE7AE5D3-9FAA-4566-90BC-F8F46811B4FA.jpeg

82757590-8D66-4447-96F6-6FA11D615778.jpeg

palmsOrl

Bump...