yabazid

Sabal Uresana SE Hardiness

yabazid

So I am planning to plant a group of 8 7G sabal uresana's up here in Upstate SC. They will be planted in a linear line about 6-7ft space in between. I just wanted to ask you guys if this palm would be suitable. Is it cold hardy enough? Can it take the cold wet winters?   Anyone around my area grow this palm? 

Other palm options would be:

Sabal Palmetto

Sabal Birmingham

Sabal Brazoriensis

Any other option that is hardy for my area?

TexasColdHardyPalms

Uresana has no problems here in Dallas/Fort Worth with sub 20's and ice/snow so you should be good as you have enough summer heat to keep them healthy and growing in the summer.

yabazid

They will be planted in full all day sun and infront of a fence shielding northern wind. 

I worry the minimums it could take

TexasColdHardyPalms

As long as it stay above 10-11 degrees you'll be fine once they start to trunk.  If you have a few more good winters you'll have nothing to worry about.  They LOVE HEAT, the more the better.  They grow much faster here in July/August when we are over 100 for weeks at a time, 100% sun.

• Upvote 1

Matthew92

I am dying to introduce this one to my area of North FL. Besides AlicesHunter2000's out in Seacrest Beach, I don't think there is one in the entire area. His oddly has gotten cold damaged at 19 degrees and freezing rain, but that doesn't seem to be the norm. This area is starved for different palms. So sick of the mass planted S. palmettos that are overtrimmed and yellow.

• Like 2

Alicehunter2000

The palm your referring to turns out not to be S. urseana ..... it is a S. causiarum.... will try and snap a picture later....it's looking pretty good these days. A friend over in Crawfordville has some smaller ones. I don't know of any either over near us.

• Like 1

Matthew92
9 minutes ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

The palm your referring to turns out not to be S. urseana ..... it is a S. causiarum.... will try and snap a picture later....it's looking pretty good these days. A friend over in Crawfordville has some smaller ones. I don't know of any either over near us.

Cool, would love to see pictures. I am so happy for all the palms around this area with this past incredibly mild winter. Some of the big phoenix are just now getting back a full crown after those 2014-2015 winters.

S. causiarum is another one I'd like to see more around here. Actually even a causiarum hybrid with regular palmetto or something would be good. Would be nice to see a more robust sabal grown around here with a thicker trunk.

yabazid

So the Uresana has the biggest crown out of all sabals? 

And it appears everyone agrees to its hardiness down to 10F

Brad Mondel

I had one for a few years and the cold didn't bother it. I killed it because I watered it in winter. Just don't give it extra water in winter and you'll be fine. 

• Upvote 1

yabazid

Thanks for the tip Brad mondel. 

TexasColdHardyPalms

One of Alice2000's buddies has a 10G uresana around Purifey that I dropped off a few weeks ago.  Uresana and Causarium are both very large sabals and would dwarf a palmetto.

• Upvote 1

JLeVert

Here is S. uresana in Augusta, GA.  This one has been through 13F with no damage and several ice/snow storms.

IMG_0783.jpg

• Upvote 4

JLeVert

Here is the same palm right after it had to be moved because of construction in 2006.  From left to right:  S. palmetto x causiarum (probably), S. palmetto, S. uresana, S. palmetto.

DSC_0150-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

yabazid

How's the growth rate. What size was it when planted? How long it took to get to that size in the fist photo? 

Beautiful palm btw!

tank

Joe,

That S. uresana is nice. 

It's hard to tell from the picture but the plant appears to be keeping its blue-grey-silver leaf color, at least in the newest leaves.

Also, congratulations on it surviving the move.  That palm was still on the small side for move, at least in my experience in moving S. palmettos.  Granted, these moves don't involve root pruning or any pre-dig prep.

13 hours ago, JLeVert said:

Here is the same palm right after it had to be moved because of construction in 2006.  From left to right:  S. palmetto x causiarum (probably), S. palmetto, S. uresana, S. palmetto.

DSC_0150-1.jpg

JLeVert

To Yabazid:  The growth rate on uresana is moderate.  S. palmetto grows like a weed here, but uresana is just steady.  That big uresana in the first photo still hasn't bloomed.  At that size, S. palmetto would have been blooming for years.

Tank:  The foliage is really silvery.  I'm sorry the photo isn't doing it justice.  I had no choice but to move it and it never missed a beat.  We moved a similar sized S. rosei and it died right away.  Happily I had lots of S. rosei seedlings and they are 'teenagers' now.  

Here is a winter photo of the S. uresana that shows the grey foliage a little better.

IMG_0704_1.jpg

• Upvote 3

redbeard917
On 6/23/2016, 12:00:55, Alicehunter2000 said:

I just planted a Sabal uresana at the family business in PCB a few weeks ago.

IMG_20160612_184506494.jpg

Alicehunter2000

Cool...isn't that the walk in clinic with the tall Italian cypress? 

redbeard917

Yeah, that's the place. In a few years when everything has settled in, it should be worth a visit by enthusiasts as well as (hopefully) interesting to out of state tourists and maybe inspire some different choices for local landscapers.

For example here is a spot where I'm trying to replace the Crape Myrtle/Indian Hawthorne landscaping backbone with things like Livistona nitida and Dioon angustifolium.

To the original poster, if you can grow Sabal palmetto, Sabal bermudana is worth a try too.

IMG_20160623_161709484.jpg

Alicehunter2000

Next time your over that way, give me a call....I'm only a few miles away.

redbeard917

Here is mine in zone 8b or so. It gets full sun all day. You can see that the older fronds are less blue. I'm guessing the wax gets washed off by the rain eventually. The frond on the right has been attacked by leaf skeletonizer. Another question besides cold hardiness is their moisture tolerance. Tank of Palmtalk, who sold me this palm, pointed out that the one he is growing in a damp area is growing faster so I don't think withholding water is a good idea. Mine did have a ring of damage on the spear that emerged in spring, so I doubt they like frost/wet freezing water in that area. This was its first winter in the ground here and it was a fairly warm one.

IMG_20160710_192141110.jpg

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

High heat and lots of water = fast sabal growth, and this hold true for Uresana. As soon as the weather cools off throttle back the water.

• Upvote 1

SailorBold

I need one so bad.. so would anyone say it is a tad hardier than palmetto or mexicana?  Its actually been a toss up between Mexicana and uresana.. 

redbeard917

I am a fan of Sabals so I'd have to say get both. I don't know which is hardiest, but I've heard Sabal 'Birmingham' is the hardiest trunking Sabal, though not the fastest palm.

TonyDFW

Here is my  18 year old Sabal uresana growing in Dallas, TX

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Matthew92
2 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

Is that growth speed typical? If so, I see why it is favorable to get an already trunking specimen.

TonyDFW

My specimen is growing in a difficult area. Mostly shade and competition from nearby Timber bamboo.

• Upvote 1

Matthew92
3 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

My specimen is growing in a difficult area. Mostly shade and competition from nearby Timber bamboo.

Ahh, very nice blue color on yours though!

Alicehunter2000

Yeah Tony...color super nice on that one.

Tingtongthai

thailand example

Sabal Uresana.jpg

• Upvote 5

TexasColdHardyPalms

Very nice specimen there.

SouthFLA
On 7/12/2016 at 11:25 PM, TonyDFW said:

image.jpeg

Hello Tony, I'm curious how that palm is looking now after the big freeze?

Jtee
On 7/4/2016 at 8:43 AM, redbeard917 said:

I just planted a Sabal uresana at the family business in PCB a few weeks ago.

IMG_20160612_184506494.jpg

Any update on this one? 

buffy

My just-trunking S. uresana survived the -5F last year. It's gonna take another growing season to rebuild its crown. 

• Like 3

tlow
1 hour ago, buffy said:

My just-trunking S. uresana survived the -5F last year. It's gonna take another growing season to rebuild its crown. 

I have to ask... pictures? lol

Jtee

Same…. Was thinking I’d like to see that uresana after -5

• Like 1

RJ

How about seeds before pictures  B)

knikfar

I know people are trying them here in Raleigh, NC. Not sure what success they're having. Plant Delights has an article about them but says they are SLOW to grow. I'm 43 now so I don't think I'll ever see an actual palm if I plant a baby now, not in this lifetime. 

• Like 2

teddytn
21 hours ago, knikfar said:

I know people are trying them here in Raleigh, NC. Not sure what success they're having. Plant Delights has an article about them but says they are SLOW to grow. I'm 43 now so I don't think I'll ever see an actual palm if I plant a baby now, not in this lifetime. 

They’ve got them for sale at Gary’s nursery. Gary said they’re iffy long term where he’s at, told me not to waste my money lol

• Like 2

knikfar
1 hour ago, teddytn said:

They’ve got them for sale at Gary’s nursery. Gary said they’re iffy long term where he’s at, told me not to waste my money lol

Some of them survived the 2021 cold event in Dallas. And that's more extreme than anything experienced here in Raleigh in recent history. So it might just be about getting plants from a known cold hardy specimen. Have you watched the Palms R Kool videos on YouTube? That guy lives in Tega Cay, SC, a climate almost identical to Raleigh. And he's growing all kinds of things I'd never try. 

• Like 1