IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Father's Day Sabal growth

Stevetoad

I planted a this sabal causiarum for my son on Father's Day a month before he was born. Every Father's Day I take a pic of it to track it's growth and my sons growth. So here it is. Planted June 2011 until now. It's much faster than my boy 

image.thumb.jpeg.af0fa0f40f99fe41c63adf8

image.thumb.jpeg.d6068281e56f701c44a4500

image.thumb.jpeg.46dd4b5fa567fe30884a751

image.thumb.jpeg.373c17bb6c03c8897264161

image.thumb.jpeg.0073bac53a23b6071bd2076

image.thumb.jpeg.71362d0ee9b46998bc33875

• Like 1
  • Upvote 19

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

11 minutes ago, talkjk said:

Thats a great idea. Thats a really good looking Sabal.

Thanks. Seems to get floppier every year. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Great growth on that Steve!  Interesting how the leaves keep changing.  Tips are getting insanely feathery.

14 hours ago, Firepalm said:

Great growth on that Steve!  Interesting how the leaves keep changing.  Tips are getting insanely feathery.

I know. I'm still not 100% on what it is. It's got the long liguels so it's causiarum to most but I her domigensis has the liguels from others. It's one of them. 

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Great pictures! Keep em coming!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Five years? Wow ... nice brother. Well done and a great tribute planting.

Cheers, Barrie.

38 minutes ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Hybrid vigor?

Could be... But it could be also good soil (makes wonders), air moisture (which actually we miss during our summer) making leaf transpiration less intense and thus  equal amount of water induces more growth (as the portion needed for preservation o0f existing foliage is smaller), longer lasting yearly of growth promoting temps or a combination of all above factors. 

• Upvote 1

Great Idea and very fast growth - they are painfully slow down here in coastal Tasmania

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

image.jpeg.662306e71167a1ce89a6f6a50b61d Great project and nice progression........Look out for the giant bug swooping in though!

• Upvote 1

Carl

Vista, CA

13 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Could be... But it could be also good soil (makes wonders), air moisture (which actually we miss during our summer) making leaf transpiration less intense and thus  equal amount of water induces more growth (as the portion needed for preservation o0f existing foliage is smaller), longer lasting yearly of growth promoting temps or a combination of all above factors. 

I don't know what but something is going on there. How many people can say they have so fast growing palm of any kind? No one considers Sabals as fast growing specie? Or I'm missing something :blush:? Absolutely fantastic!

Edited by dalmatiansoap
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, dalmatiansoap said:

I don't know what but something is going on there. How many people can say they have so fast growing palm of any kind? No one considers Sabals as fast growing specie? Or I'm missing something :blush:? Absolutely fantastic!

it's that Santee heat.

• Upvote 2

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Great pictures Steve. Yes, the heat is the key along with plenty of water. Sabals grow by leaps and bounds if they get constant watering in that heat.

On 6/20/2016, 7:53:06, Stevetoad said:

I planted a this sabal causiarum for my son on Father's Day a month before he was born. Every Father's Day I take a pic of it to track it's growth and my sons growth. So here it is. Planted June 2011 until now. It's much faster than my boy 

image.thumb.jpeg.af0fa0f40f99fe41c63adf8

image.thumb.jpeg.d6068281e56f701c44a4500

image.thumb.jpeg.46dd4b5fa567fe30884a751

image.thumb.jpeg.373c17bb6c03c8897264161

image.thumb.jpeg.0073bac53a23b6071bd2076

image.thumb.jpeg.71362d0ee9b46998bc33875

whoa!!!! that is some serious growth!!

I'm going to plant mine asap!!!

• Like 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 6/22/2016, 1:07:55, Stevetoad said:

I know. I'm still not 100% on what it is. It's got the long liguels so it's causiarum to most but I her domigensis has the liguels from others. It's one of them. 

dude! you have the highly coveted Sabal causiarumensis

way to go bro!!

• Like 1

Sunset zone 24

Congrats, and well I am doing something wrong.  Share you secrets.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I think the faster growth is due to my place getting hotter than most other spots in santee and its planted inside my retaining wall that's all backfill. It has great drainage there. Although I have a riverside to my buddy about a half mile from me and his is fast too.  Might just be the heat. 

• Upvote 2

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

11 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

I think the faster growth is due to my place getting hotter than most other spots in santee and its planted inside my retaining wall that's all backfill. It has great drainage there. Although I have a riverside to my buddy about a half mile from me and his is fast too.  Might just be the heat. 

they are indeed heat lovers!

great pictures brother!!

Sunset zone 24

7 hours ago, Josh-O said:

they are indeed heat lovers!

great pictures brother!!

Thanks josh. Reading my post showed me why I should post and drive. Looks like English is my second language. I meant hotter than most spots in San Diego and I gave one to my buddy not have one to him. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

• 11 months later...

Guess it's that time of year for an update. Thing is still blowing up. Vance can now climb it like the monkey he is.  

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_1885.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_5750.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_3976.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 9

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Yes, I have noticed the retaining wall drainage aspect works. And as an added bonus, if it is south or west facing it retains heat for winter growth, etc. Nice Sabal!

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Is it also fruiting? Besides are the petioles on their proximal part very keeled?

Edited by Phoenikakias

The growth rate on this sabal is very impressive.

Clearly, it is happy!

• 11 months later...
On 6/19/2017, 8:25:06, Stevetoad said:

Guess it's that time of year for an update. Thing is still blowing up. Vance can now climb it like the monkey he is.  

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_1885.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_5750.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_3976.JPG

Time for an update. Had to change angles due to other palms blocking the view now. 

2E2C9AAD-E3A5-411D-BE17-09C9A800468E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

That is some serious growth in such a short amount of time. What a cool experience to share with your son. Beautiful palm.  :) happy Father’s Day 

7 hours ago, 5150cycad said:

That is some serious growth in such a short amount of time. What a cool experience to share with your son. Beautiful palm.  :) happy Father’s Day 

Thank you. It’s crazy how this Sabal has changed. It was fairly stiff leaved then very weepy now it’s getting stiff leaved again but now that it’s starting to trunk you can see that it’s starting to get more compact. I think this year I will see more vertical growth and less width. 

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Toadster - That trunk is such a fatty. Surprised how the retaining wall has not gotten pushed by the roots. When you first planted it, those were my thoughts. Figured why mention it, you would be happy to have such a problem in the future. It obviously loves where its at. :wub: 

Edited by Moose

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Toadster - That trunk is such a fatty. Surprised how the retaining wall has not gotten pushed by the roots. When you first planted it, those were my thoughts. Figured why mention it, you would be happy to have such a problem in the future. It obviously loves where its at. :wub: 

It did push the wall out. I ended up curving the wall there about 3 feet out. Luckily I was building my pond when I did so I had plenty of dirt to fill it. 

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

That palm is a beauty. Awesome growth chart  on both the palm and your son. Keep the pictures coming :D

• 11 months later...
On 6/17/2018 at 12:42 PM, Stevetoad said:

Time for an update. Had to change angles due to other palms blocking the view now. 

2E2C9AAD-E3A5-411D-BE17-09C9A800468E.jpeg

Getting hard to photograph this thing. But here’s my news update. Bother are growing up fast. 

F6F08782-597C-446F-B6CA-798ED6C3E47E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

What an awesome timeline to go with a massive specimen of a palm.  :greenthumb:Definitely my favorite looking Sabal ! 

T J 

This is epic!

It is so nice to have such a great documentation with your child and a well growing, really great looking plant!

Thank you very much for sharing!

Best regards -

Lars

Magnificent! I just ordered me 2. Hope they turn out to be half as fast as yours. I'd be happy with that! 

Happy Father's day to you & the rest of the fathers out there!

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

• 2 years later...

2021 update. Getting really hard to get that shot now. 

BDAE50F0-E7E2-4F50-90D6-5518784F0A54.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 3

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean