IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Large trunking Beccariophoenix fenestralis

Jeff in St Pete

A couple weeks ago I visited a nearby private garden and saw this large trunking Beccariophoenix fenestralis.  There had to be at least 9 to 10 feet of clear trunk.  It was hard to get decent photos as the sun was directly overhead and there are so many other plants/palms planted around it including some very large Crotons around the base.  I hope I can get some better photos if I visit again.  

IMG_5289.thumb.JPG.8b6f7aa71de1dc63074c0

IMG_5288.thumb.JPG.06b4bf690ff27f11c4a44

• Upvote 19

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Spectacular.! So much nicer than Cocos IMO.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Wow, it looks great! Biggest one I've seen! Any idea how old it is? Thanks a lot for sharing!

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

That's a happy one alright. I would guess 20+ years for that much trunk. Wow.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

On 6/20/2016, 7:28:56, RedRabbit said:

Wow, it looks great! Biggest one I've seen! Any idea how old it is? Thanks a lot for sharing!

I think he did tell us when it was planted, but I don't remember.   I'll ask next time I see him.  

On 6/20/2016, 6:18:17, scottgt said:

Spectacular.! So much nicer than Cocos IMO.

Hey Scott, nice  to hear from you.  I miss Central America.

1 hour ago, Jeff in St Pete said:

Hey Scott, nice  to hear from you.  I miss Central America.

So nice to see your posts again!

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Love that palm, it's one of my favorites and that one is stunning.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Just now, Jeff in St Pete said:

A couple weeks ago I visited a nearby private garden and saw this large trunking Beccariophoenix fenestralis.  There had to be at least 9 to 10 feet of clear trunk.  It was hard to get decent photos as the sun was directly overhead and there are so many other plants/palms planted around it including some very large Crotons around the base.  I hope I can get some better photos if I visit again.  

Please, go back adn get more pictures!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nice.....the flowering is the icing on the cake!

• Upvote 1

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎57‎:‎42‎, quaman58 said:

That's a happy one alright. I would guess 20+ years for that much trunk. Wow.

Not quite that old, as I have similar ones and are not quite 20 years old yet. Maybe in the 15 year old range though.

• Upvote 3

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Funny what climate does Jeff. I bought mine as a 5 gallon plant in 2003, so I figured it was about 5 years old, which would make it 18 about now at minimum. There's less than a foot of clean trunk on it & it's never flowered yet. But I remember Bo posting one in Hawaii that began seeding at the ripe old age of 8. 

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Great looking Fenestralis Jeff, I read a very interesting article on Wikipedia re Coconut. Well, back in the Miocene period 5+ million yrs ago NZ even had a Coconut palm with strawberry size fruits, . After reading that it does make 1 wonder if the Coconut "evolved" from a  Beccariophoenix ?  I will ask Charles Darwin next time I see him  :D

Pete  :)

• Upvote 2

Here is one growing in our nursery.... 15 years since planting and it's been fruiting for about 4 years.

image.thumb.jpeg.220091c64293d1a344d5d91

• Upvote 14

14 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Funny what climate does Jeff. I bought mine as a 5 gallon plant in 2003, so I figured it was about 5 years old, which would make it 18 about now at minimum. There's less than a foot of clean trunk on it & it's never flowered yet. But I remember Bo posting one in Hawaii that began seeding at the ripe old age of 8. 

yes indeed:greenthumb:

I still drool over yours Bret :) 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

4 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

Great looking Fenestralis Jeff, I read a very interesting article on Wikipedia re Coconut. Well, back in the Miocene period 5+ million yrs ago NZ even had a Coconut palm with strawberry size fruits, . After reading that it does make 1 wonder if the Coconut "evolved" from a  Beccariophoenix ?  I will ask Charles Darwin next time I see him  :D

Pete  :)

:floor::floor:

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Kennybenjamin said:

Here is one growing in our nursery.... 15 years since planting and it's been fruiting for about 4 years.

amazing!! sooooo coconut like

Sunset zone 24

Yeh, its a beauty at PalmsforBrisbane, Im pretty sure Fenestralis seed arrived earlier in Oz than the US and Dypsis  Prestoniana didnt  arrive here till many, many  yrs later, Cairns has many very tall seeding Fenestralis on the highway into Cairns.  Pete  :)

• Upvote 1

Mine was planted as a seedling, must be 25 years now atleast. I know the lady which had a nursery in Pullenvale Brisbane, no longer there, wasn't keen on selling me any but I begged and pleated with her and she sold me some, all of which died except this one. In later years I have purchased others which are doing well but not nearly the same size.    

IMAG6071.jpg

IMAG6073.jpg

• Upvote 11

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

2 minutes ago, The Palm Nut said:

Mine was planted as a seedling, must be 25 years now atleast. I know the lady which had a nursery in Pullenvale Brisbane, no longer there, wasn't keen on selling me any but I begged and pleated with her and she sold me some, all of which died except this one. In later years I have purchased others which are doing well but not nearly the same size.    

IMAG6071.jpg

IMAG6073.jpg

I also haven't had any seed from it yet, though as you can see it has been flowering for a couple of years or so.

10 minutes ago, The Palm Nut said:

I also haven't had any seed from it yet, though as you can see it has been flowering for a couple of years or so.

Something that might interest some, this is my Bismarckia which was planted about the same time as a seedling.

IMAG6084.jpg

• Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a few more pics of the big Becce fenestralis mentioned by Jeff.  I gotta start checking this site more than once a year or so.  Pics taken yesterday from on top of my roof.  palm went in the ground about 17 or 18 years ago from a 15 gal pot.  Ten ft of clear trunk on  it.  It's been at least as cold hardy as the Royals in the yard here in south St. Pete

DSCN6904.JPG

DSCN6905.JPG

DSCN6906.JPG

DSCN6907.JPG

DSCN6908.JPG

DSCN6909.JPG

DSCN6910.JPG

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Phil Stager said:

Here's a few more pics of the big Becce fenestralis mentioned by Jeff.  I gotta start checking this site more than once a year or so.  Pics taken yesterday from on top of my roof.  palm went in the ground about 17 or 18 years ago from a 15 gal pot.  Ten ft of clear trunk on  it.  It's been at least as cold hardy as the Royals in the yard here in south St. Pete

DSCN6904.JPG

DSCN6905.JPG

DSCN6906.JPG

DSCN6907.JPG

DSCN6908.JPG

DSCN6909.JPG

DSCN6910.JPG

Thanks for sharing! 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Phil, thanks for adding your photos.  Yours are much better than mine.  What a stunning palm!  

Phil, that has to be the largest B. fenestralis in central FL  That thing has really grown quite fast.  Thanks for climbing on the roof for the shot.  I have found that they seem to always look kind of chlorotic when container grown, but seem to snap out of it after planting in ground.  I think they are heavy iron feeders when young and enjoy acidic soils. 

MattyB and I just visited Floribunda - so I happen to have a photo at hand. These are such nice palms that I bought a huge 15 gal (more like 36 inch box size) that I planted a few days ago. My first one. Here are a few of Jeff's.

IMG_3014.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

• 7 months later...
On 7/17/2016, 12:46:09, Dypsisdean said:

MattyB and I just visited Floribunda - so I happen to have a photo at hand. These are such nice palms that I bought a huge 15 gal (more like 36 inch box size) that I planted a few days ago. My first one. Here are a few of Jeff's.

IMG_3014.jpg

How did they fix the pvc and its attachments to the trunk?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 9 months later...

Wow, these Beccariophoenix Fenestralis are beautiful! 

Does anyone know how fast they grow in deep shade?  I assume that they are slow growers in shade because my Beccariophoenix Alfredii hardly grew at all in deep shade.  

Even in full sun, they do not appear to be fast growers, based on the comparison with the Bismarckia Nobilis above. 

On 6/24/2016, 6:47:48, quaman58 said:

Got any updated pics of yours?   :drool:

On 20/6/2016, 23:30:11, Jeff in St Pete said:

wow,apart from the way it flowers it looks just like a coconut.

• 1 year later...
On 7/17/2016, 3:46:09, Dypsisdean said:

IMG_3014.jpg

Jeff's Beccariophoenix Fenestralis look fantastic!  Does anyone know how old they are in this photo, from when they were planted as juvenile trees?  Where is Jeff's property located, by the way?  Wow!  ....so nice!

Someone just posted this photo of a tall Beccariophoenix Fenestralis, apparently growing in West Palm Beach, Florida (see the third photo into the following PalmTalk thread):

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/59071-photos-taken-from-northern-south-florida-broward-palm-beach-and-martin-county-in-january-2019/#comment-879680

8 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

Someone just posted this photo of a tall Beccariophoenix Fenestralis, apparently growing in West Palm Beach, Florida (see the third photo into the following PalmTalk thread):

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/59071-photos-taken-from-northern-south-florida-broward-palm-beach-and-martin-county-in-january-2019/#comment-879680

Those belong to PT member Mike Harris (waykoolplantz) in Cooper City, Florida. His whole garden is awesome if you're ever in that area!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)