IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Oakey dokey -- show us your native Quercus, Oaks!

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

Richard Berry (RobustaEnvirons) was nice enough to post pictures of oaks that reminded me of the oaks of my misspent youth, out of a palmy place.

So, today, I went and did a very (very!) brief survey of California oak species, of which there are a lot.

They are fascinating, actually.

And the rest of you, please post nice pictures of your local native (or non-native) Quercus. Oaks.

My next door neighbor has what appears to be a California Live Oak, Q. agrifolia. Look closely, and you can see my palms, to the right, huddled before the potential encroaching monster.

566.thumb.JPG.8cb542ed3ab5ee229bf07e6b91567.thumb.JPG.93c4b1fd242f878971857a1215

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Some leaves of Q.robur

oaken_by_stumm47.jpg

• Upvote 2

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

And an oak at the end of its season 

lonely_oak_by_stumm47.jpg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Since the Femeiche is even older than me it needs some support:

5761c78412a7c_FemeicheIMG_7903.thumb.jpg

PS: This date (2014-07-12) is the correct one.

Wow, a couple of years means nothing to that oak.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

A couple for you

oakandsky.jpg

oak.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 6/15/2016, 4:33:14, Howeadypsis said:

A couple for you

oakandsky.jpg

oak.jpg

Those look old; bet Robin Hood might have made it with Maid Marian under one or both of them.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Those look old; bet Robin Hood might have made it with Maid Marian under one or both of them.

The bottom one is quite young. But that first one, yea it's seen some years.  And a lightning strike by the look of it.

• Like 1

Oh, but oaks (Quercus) have a lot of variety.

As I found in my travels.

Here's some clo604.thumb.JPG.6e577077dc27814f25c4c3a88b606.thumb.JPG.467aece292e4285a5b9a5707b3608.thumb.JPG.b04130d39657649f07e0d1adaa605.thumb.JPG.57ebfb5a4880f5248fb0805aaese ups of the infamous Coast Live Oak, Q. agrifolia.

• Upvote 1

Don't know what this species is, but it's pretty.

580.thumb.JPG.5fc159aeaf14c9c00dc43b5164581.thumb.JPG.e9d775a222ab03d0a7ef0d3bc6582.thumb.JPG.6159700a6909396e4130b15760583.thumb.JPG.c0202fd20202e36d3084c08b7a

• Upvote 1

LAAZ

more, please

Oh, the oaks are no jokes. Quercus and all.

Y'all.

This don't look like no oak.

Nuh-uh!

610.thumb.JPG.34a8fa953e251723536022ae8c608.thumb.JPG.127fcd734d1b59e7f990d66bcc607.thumb.JPG.af5098a23bef7909f33e8bd28e609.thumb.JPG.f0124b34f1f01da63c5164495f

• Upvote 1

Any idea why it's called Live Oak?

Our native Q. garryana occupies a very small range, especially where I live along the SE side of Vancouver Island. These are right at home in our rocky free draining soils along side Arbutus menziesii (Madrone). There are some very large old specimen in the area.

Got this as a gift from one of my neighbors. I'll plant it out in the next while.

Cheers, Barrie.

Q.garryana01.jpg

Q.garryana02.jpg

Quercus_garryana_range_map_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Howeadypsis said:

Any idea why it's called Live Oak?

Because it is an evergreen oak rather than a deciduous.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Laaz said:

Because it is an evergreen oak rather than a deciduous.

Ah thanks!

There are still many large examples of this species, even though the Sacramento Valley has been completely converted to agriculture.

The former home of Richard Douglas (deceased, former IPS president) has one at least 2 meters in trunk diameter, in Walnut Creek, Callifornia.

I used to own a property near Chico, along the Sacramento river watercourse.  There was ample natural regeneration of this fine tree, indeed one had to take care that a sapling did not grow up in an undesirable location!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooker_Oak

San Francisco, California

This doesn't even look like an oak, at all.

615.thumb.JPG.acf404a90f0048d176d697e8b8617.thumb.JPG.140198e101f962ae83e57a79ed618.thumb.JPG.c30469ca29dacec5fac3f779fc616.thumb.JPG.fb0a1ded36d337c193366e7ea0619.thumb.JPG.76df9e41a09d3c732729460347

• Upvote 1

And here's another.

Oak? Well, I guess if it has acorns. Couldn't find any this early in the year.

610.thumb.JPG.abf01e6424e705b3ea596f6cf4611.thumb.JPG.62ded4aeccb44e7e279ff2168c612.thumb.JPG.1af730c581d62004781b8b1125613.thumb.JPG.df7539cc08cc7b3936f83a6313614.thumb.JPG.0a8c560b5cc434186758481226

• Upvote 2

And palms and oaks together!

This is my native oak, Quercus coccifera. It is a small tree- bush and grows in the same place than Chamaerops.

The habitatIMG-20160625-WA0013.thumb.jpg.a4be007c87

Growing togetherIMG-20160625-WA0012.thumb.jpg.1eec549b2e

Chamaerops and Oak

IMG-20160625-WA0010.thumb.jpg.ff7c27f7f7

And leaves, old flowers and new fruits.IMG-20160625-WA0011.thumb.jpg.c3746aede7

• Upvote 4

Fantastic Monòver! Id love to grow that as a pot plant. I bet it would work being from Africa. It was once listed as a holly. Can see why!

Also, from Wiki:

The Kermes Oak was historically important as the food plant of the Kermes scale insect, from which a red dye called crimson was obtained

Edited by Howeadypsis
  • Upvote 2

Here is one of the three water oaks at my place. This one is 30 years old. They grow fast and get very large if the get enough water, not a problem in Houston.

wateroak.thumb.jpg.c8640460c64b491afc9a8

Natural range of Water oak, Quercus nigra

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Quercus_nigra_range_map_1.png

Ed in Houston

• Upvote 4

• 3 years later...

The pictures of the Angel Oak in SC aren't showing up for me so I'll share a few I took when I visited in 2012.

FB_IMG_1569982628298.jpg

FB_IMG_1569982613229.jpg

FB_IMG_1569982540075.jpg

FB_IMG_1569982515369.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

A southern live oak (Quercus virginiana) in Norfolk, VA. It had a Trachycarpus seedling growing on it.

FB_IMG_1569982364569.jpg

FB_IMG_1569982374738.jpg

FB_IMG_1569982396804.jpg

• Like 2

AHS Heat Zone 7

I shared some of these in another thread, but figured I could share them here too.

Quercus virginiana on the dunes in Virginia Beach, VA

0928191617_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

Quercus virginiana festooned with Spanish moss in Virginia Beach, VA

0928191508_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

AHS Heat Zone 7

Overcup oak (Quercus lyrata) in Suffolk, VA. Cat for scale.  Couldn't get a good view of leaves, unfortunately.

1001191552_HDR.jpg

1001191552_HDR.jpg

1001191552a_HDR.jpg

1001191554a_HDR.jpg

1001191553_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

Southern red oak (Quercus falcata) in Suffolk, VA.  The leaves of many oaks, including this one, can be quite variable between juvenile vs adult and sun vs shade leaves.

1001191732_HDR.jpg

1001191603a_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

AHS Heat Zone 7