• Similar Content

• Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      For hybrides with Cocos nucifera or else!

• Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      According to the palm literature Lytocaryum weddellianum grows at altitudes between 50 and 800 m and Lytocaryum insigne from 1000 to 1800 m (Noblick 2017). But those limitations seem to be not correct. Below four habitat photos showing L insigne at c. 500 m and L weddellianum at c. 900 m (and 1200 m imo):

This palm is imo also L weddellianum, but I am not sure:

• Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      Not a Lodoicea, but only two L weddellianum potted together, today 6 years old:

And 2 years ago:

And when they were still younger:

And 4 months after birth, er, germination:

• Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      My 10 Lytocaryum weddellianum grown up from seed in 2013 were more and more getting too tall  for my desktop, except one (N°1306c) which I had kept quite small by very brutal  root pruning. (But even the other pruned palm N°1306a is growing too tall …)
      Now I am intending to keep my 3 one year young L batavum as small bonsai palms. First, I will keep them as long as possible in their tiny Ø8xH9cm clay pots. Second, I will expose them also to direct sunlight, but watching that they don’t get burned. 
      @Jamesasb , you have mentioned (and posted a pic) one year ago that you are making one of your L weddellianum to a bonsai. Are there already visible and positive results? 
      Here the desktop-sized N°1306c:

And here the 3 new bonsai candidates: