IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Non mobile version on a phone?

Howeadypsis

I browse a lot from my phone but I don't like mobile versions of sites too much. Yet I don't see a Desktop Version button anywhere. I've tried clicking Request Desktop Site but nothing happens. Funny thing the url to this site appears to be a desktop site- http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/

How do I get the full site? I'm using Chrome browser on a Samsung s5

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

A page looks like this on my phone.

PicsArt_06-06-11.30.17.jpg

I'm not sure what you are wanting. Your phone in portrait is not near wide enough to display the full desktop width. Try narrowing down your desktop computer's browser's window to that narrow of a width and see what happens.

What is it you think you are missing from the mobile version? It is designed to load faster and save you bandwidth.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

55 minutes ago, PALM MOD said:

I'm not sure what you are wanting. Your phone in portrait is not near wide enough to display the full desktop width. Try narrowing down your desktop computer's browser's window to that narrow of a width and see what happens.

What is it you think you are missing from the mobile version? It is designed to load faster and save you bandwidth.

A page looks like this on my phone.

No I don't want the mobile version, I want the desktop version. It does fit fine on a phone without scrolling as I had it before the update.  As mobile sites go tho this one isn't too bad.

It's not a bandwidth issue, it's a content issue.

• 5 months later...

I can't find it either.  It just automatically defaults me to the mobile format.    I've viewed plenty of other forums desktop version on my iPhone just fine.  It fits great especially in landscape view.   

I'll try to explain this as I'm familiar with it.

In the past there used to be two or more web applications - one as a Desktop version, the others various Mobile versions. This way it was possible to switch your view to a desktop format on a mobile phone, although everything looked extremely tiny and you had to zoom in to see anything. The downside was that developers and webmasters had to maintain multiple different applications.

This is no longer the case. There is only one forum application now running on the server, and it automatically formats the content based on the font DPI and screen width of the device you're using. It's called Responsive Web Design, developed in the last few years, and now you see it pretty much everywhere, including this forum.

Unfortunately you can no longer force the application to a Desktop mode as there is no such thing. The font dimensions and the screen width of your device determines how the site is formatted. However, you can turn your phone to landscape mode and you may see the full desktop version with full toolbars and such.

For example, if you narrow the window of your web browser using a desktop computer, you'd see how it dynamically switches to a mobile version. The menu bars disappear, and you get progressively fewer elements on screen the narrower the display is.

pt.png.56ba6b451b03376ea15ed1b7cb069e57.

Pando has pretty much explained it.

Old versions of this Forum software gave you the ability to choose one of several different "skins/themes" - including a Mobile Skin. And you could choose a skin regardless of what device you were using to view the forum. However, now there are so many different device sizes and resolutions (dozens of different phones, tablets, laptops, and desktop monitors), along with the ability for the user to customize resolutions and font sizes, that offering skins for every option was no longer practical. 

Sites with a ton of money can afford to develop/customize their own platforms and use iOS and Android Apps for mobile devices, and keep/offer the choice for a laptop and desktop skin. For a while, developers of forum software, tried providing hybrid solutions as substitutes for mobile apps - but that proved problematic due to the constant evolution of iOS and Android. So most modern sites (without millions of dollars) have opted for one fully automated responsive design that reacts to whatever device it is viewed on.

So, essentially - what you will see displayed is purely reliant on the width of your screen and is not a choice anymore. As Pando said, if you turn your mobile device to landscape, and you have a high enough resolution, you may see the Desktop Skin displayed.

The other consideration applies to most mobile users who pay for data. They want a minimum of data used when browsing via their cellular plan. And responsive web design provides such a solution.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.