IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in your blood?

Yunder Wækraus

I was thinking the other day about why, exactly, I like tropical (and subtropical) plants so much. I've always thought it was because they were the first plants I saw as a child and the plants I associate with my extended family's Florida pioneering roots. But does it go deeper? Perhaps our love of palms has been shaped by generations of ancestors who encountered them. And to what degree does that palm love affect our current and former choices in latitude (which, somewhat roughly, correlates to plant hardiness)?

So here's the game I invite y'all to play. List the latitude of your current home, your birth town, the farthest north you've lived, the farthest south you've lived, and the latitude of the place where your surname-bearing ancestor lived in 1776. (I realize 1776 is a bit American-centric as dates go, but it seems like a fair baseline to see how many of us had ancestors in palmy locations by then.) For the purposes of having lived somewhere, I think you need to have spent at least two consecutive months in a place. I stayed in Phnom Penh, Cambodia for six weeks between undergrad and grad school as as student, but I wouldn't say I lived there.

For your current latitude and the latitude of your ancestor, indicate whether palms are native to the area. (You can decide whether you want to name the species.)

Here are my details:

Current: 28.0895° N (Indialantic, FL) [Sabal, Serenoa repens]

Birth: 26.7153° N (West Palm, FL)

Farthest north lived: 54.8925° N (Carlisle, England)

Farthest south lived: 26.6845° N (Belle Glade, FL)

Paternal surname-bearing ancestor in 1776: 33.2799° N (Barnwell County, SC) [Sabal, R. hystrix]

Here are my details:

Current: 20.2687S (Airlie Beach, Queensland) [Archontophoenix alexandrae, Ptychosperma elegans, Livistona drudei, Livistona decora, Calamus australis, Calamus moti, Calamus radicalis]

Birth: 27.4710S (Brisbane, Queensland) [Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, Calamus muelleri, Linospadix monostachya, Livistona australis]

Furtherest south lived: 37.8141S (Melbourne, Victoria)

Furtherest North Lived: 13.3598 (Aurukun, Queensland) [Corypha utan, Nypa fruticans]

Paternal surname bearing ancestor: 51.5074 (London, England)

• Upvote 2

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Are you going to crunch the resulting data and publish a scientific study with the results? :)

I am 100% certain that my generation of my family are the first to have close encounters with palms.

Current:  32.42N San Diego, California, USA, no native palms, but those that have become weeds: Washingtonia robusta and Phoenix canariensis

Birth:  34.943N Santa Maria, California, USA, no native palms, but the most commonly seen is Phoenix canariensis, well established in the area

Furthest south lived:  19.4725N Leilani Estates, Hawaii, USA, Pritchardia sp., climate is hospitable to most tropical palm species.

Furthest north lived:  43.5297 Aix-en-Provence, France, no native palms and I don't recall seeing any in town or surrounding areas.

Maternal surname bearing ancestor: 59.3293 Stockholm, Sweden (largest percentage of parental DNA traceable to a single locale) no native palms.

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Hi Alex

Mine would contradict your theory about this is carries by gene and ancestors and where you lived or your first experience with your first plant...still, no doubt I got it in my blood ;)

Current: 33.73236 South (Thornleigh,Sydney NSW)

Birth: 35.6892° N (Tehran,Iran]

Furtherest south lived: 50.7753 N (Aachen, Germany)

Furtherest North Lived: 33.73236 South (Thornleigh,Sydney NSW)

Paternal surname bearing ancestor: 34.0954° N ( Arak, Iran)

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Hi Alex

Mine would contradict your theory about this is carries by gene and ancestors and where you lived or your first experience with your first plant...still, no doubt I got it in my blood ;)

Current: 33.73236 South (Thornleigh,Sydney NSW)

Birth: 35.6892° N (Tehran,Iran]

Furtherest south lived: 50.7753 N (Aachen, Germany)

Furtherest North Lived: 33.73236 South (Thornleigh,Sydney NSW)

Paternal surname bearing ancestor: 34.0954° N ( Arak, Iran)

Mohsen, did you still live in Tehran in November 1977? I was there twice with my yellow car. :) And I had passed also the road near Arak (at Qom).
PS: I was born at 53°34’N, palms only in containers.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

current: 27.94n

birth: 33.70n

furthest north: 51.5n

furthest south: 3.34s

and don't know about the last one. and I will add that the Mediterranean style gardens and palms are really growing on me. :) 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Mohsen, did you still live in Tehran in November 1977? I was there twice with my yellow car. :) And I had passed also the road near Arak (at Qom).
PS: I was born at 53°34’N, palms only in containers.

Pal, I lived in Tehran in nov 1977 for sure...where else could I go , I was only 15 month old ;) 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

For the purposes of having lived somewhere, I think you need to have spent at least two consecutive months in a place.

For your current latitude and the latitude of your ancestor, indicate whether palms are native to the area. (You can decide whether you want to name the species.)

Current: 33 N
Birth: 58 N
Furthest south ever lived: 33 N
Furthest north ever lived: 59 N
Ancestor: possibly between 58-59N

6ft high snowbanks. NO palms. Ancestors had probably never even heard of such a thing as a palm tree in the 1700s, much less actually seen one.

I think I'm breaking your stats.

• Upvote 2

Hmm.

Never had genomes tested, but all my ancestors came from Germany some as early as the 1700s (my father's side, anyway). Some came from Bavaria (Bayern), and others from Alsace-Lorraine, or Metz. (I assume that's all the further we have to go. Go back far enough, and we're all near the equator in Africa . . . :o)

I suspect Pal and I might share a Palmen-loving gross-gross-etc Oma somewhere in the mists of time. Maybe the same Roman Legions marched through our respective ancestors' villages on their way to visit Pando's ancestors, or even some of Kim's.

Furthest north lived: 41°35'44N

Furthest south 33:55 N.

No native palms in Ohio, trust me.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'll play;

Current: Palm Beach, Florida USA 26.7153 N  Sabals

Born: West Palm Beach, Florida USA 26.7153 N Sabals

Furthest North: Fairbanks, Alaska USA 64.8378 N  Cell Towers

Furthest South: Maracaibo, Venezuela 10.6545 N Roystonea oleracea

Paternal Ancestry: Jankoping, Sweden 57.7826  Cell Towers

I probably got my interest in palms from my father who moved to Florida from New Hampshire and was one of the first people to buy in a new subdivision that was populated with wild grown Sabals. When others bought in, he would ask them if they didn't want the Sabals on their property,he would take them. He ended up with over 40 in his yard not to mention the many Cocos.

• Upvote 1

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

I have no intentions of releasing detailed info of myself over the net. I do however inherit a fondness for plants in general, from my mothers side of the gene pool.

Cheers, Barrie.

1 hour ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

I think my theory has been refuted :-)

The thing to note is that there is no way someone's experience a few hundred years ago is passed along genetically if that's what you were after. This is not the way evolution works. However it could be passed along as "knowledge" by word of mouth, writings, etc., but it would be exceedingly rare to pass along such knowledge from the 1700s to the offspring living today without injecting other external influence. The only way this might work is in an extremely structured inheritance spanning many generations, a family business spanning hundreds of years, a church/religion, a cult, a closed and isolated society worshipping plants, etc. Again, extremely unlikely given today's prevalence of information everywhere.

In other words, someone who becomes a palm fanatic today is influenced by friends/associates living today and the information available on the internet rather than having anything to do with someone's family history, and it has absolutely nothing to do with genetics alone.

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

Not sure how this works for me. I live in England and have never been abroad! And the first plants I got into as a kid were succulents. (Be cool if there was a succulent palm!)

• Upvote 1

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

We all did evolve out of Africa...perhaps inner instinct attracts us to tropical looking plants. Nature is astounding. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.