IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My garden in Cadiz, South of Spain

Jan Jo

1 hour ago, Cluster said:

Hello Antonio,

I would love to see pictures of those coconuts and knowing which kind of protection/conditions they receive. I really doubt any coconut can live unprotected outdoors in south Spain long term unless special microclimates are created, don't ever expect to see it in public gardens, though I wish to be wrong! 

Hello Jan,

Your garden is amazing, I subscribe what others have said before, it is hard to believe we are in Europe!

This is one picture from a Spanish forum. The owner is one spanish woman with magical hands for plants. Her name is Isabel , from Rincón de la Victoria, Málaga.

Picture from December 2016.584433dc630f3.JPG.cdacee9b02ea9189877cbf

• Upvote 6

Woow, awesome garden Jan Jo.

Looking forward to see this season growth.

• Upvote 1

On Tue May 16 2017 11:55:42 GMT+0200, greysrigging said:

Never ceases to amaze me the species you can successfully grow in your climate. I have always thought that the Mediterranean  climates are  hard on the more 'tropical' palm varieties.  Your garden is an excellent example of what is achievable...

Thanks Doug, this climate is hard on many palm varieties, and growing many of them becomes more a matter of obsession than common sense or aesthetics... but I guess it's one of the better areas for palms in Europe (south east Spain is better tho)... thanks again. J

On Fri May 19 2017 17:15:05 GMT+0200, bubba said:

Beautiful garden!  Following up with Alicante's comments, have Neoveichia's, Satakentia's or varieties like Areca catchetu been successfully cultivated in any of the frostless zones in Spain? Additionally, any Cocos nucifera experiments in this area?

Thanks bubba! I tried Areca catechu once, impossible for me, but I know others in south east Spain are trying with more success...

On Sat May 20 2017 15:33:35 GMT+0200, Monòver said:

This is one picture from a Spanish forum. The owner is one spanish woman with magical hands for plants. Her name is Isabel , from Rincón de la Victoria, Málaga.

Picture from December 2016.584433dc630f3.JPG.cdacee9b02ea9189877cbf

That's amazing! But I guess if it was going to be somewhere in mainland Spain, it would have to be in Malaga, and it was going to be someone, it would have to be Isabel... 

• Upvote 1

On Sun May 21 2017 08:59:40 GMT+0200, sergiskan said:

Woow, awesome garden Jan Jo.

Looking forward to see this season growth.

Thanks Sergi, I will try to post some more pics soon, how was the winter in Baleares?

J

Managed to upload a few more pics of my garden, not of the more "tropical" species, but of the ones that look best after the winter ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a couple more pics, with names this time...

Brahea Brandegeei

IMG-20170611-WA0080.jpg.877da2d7de709a18

Rhapis Humilis, Washingtonia robusta x3

IMG-20170611-WA0081.thumb.jpg.1b18633ec4

Rhopalostylis Baueri (centre)

IMG-20170611-WA0082.thumb.jpg.f38b3b887a

Ravenea rivularis

IMG-20170611-WA0083.thumb.jpg.ce1a3d8865

Rhapidophyllum Histrix

IMG-20170611-WA0084.thumb.jpg.aefb89979e

Livistona Chinensis

IMG-20170611-WA0085.thumb.jpg.454dbac44a

Cyphophoenix nucelle

IMG-20170611-WA0086.thumb.jpg.1292236f67

Pritchardia Hild., Brahea Dulcis, Dypsis Lutescens, Arenga Engleri...

IMG-20170611-WA0087.thumb.jpg.6de604b4e1

Sabal Uresana

IMG-20170611-WA0088.thumb.jpg.b22d56e5c1

Archontophoenix Alex x 2

IMG-20170611-WA0089.thumb.jpg.f9b6e96ed6

I really did a lot to the garden over the last couple of years, hope it takes off a bit now! And I hope you like the pics ;)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Monòver said:

Jan Jo, a pleasure to see your garden:greenthumb:

+1

very heathy palms!

my winter was very soft, mid temps, only few frost.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Monòver said:

Jan Jo, a pleasure to see your garden:greenthumb:

Gracias Antonio! ;)

14 hours ago, sergiskan said:

Can you share some close-up pics about your braheas?

Thanks! Yes of course, give me a few days, and I´ll try to take pics of all the Braheas I have  :greenthumb:

2 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

Thanks! Yes of course, give me a few days, and I´ll try to take pics of all the Braheas I have  :greenthumb:

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2017, 6:13:32, sergiskan said:

Thanks!

Hi Sergi! Here, finally, are the Brahea close-ups I promised ;)

Brahea Dulcis

20170625_190352-774x1032.thumb.jpg.cfa89

20170625_190406-774x1032.thumb.jpg.41326

20170625_190413-774x1032.thumb.jpg.a2e49

Brahea Armata

20170625_190508-774x1032.thumb.jpg.3317a

20170625_190522-774x1032.thumb.jpg.6b5d9

... and Brahea Brandegeii...

20170625_190535-774x1032.thumb.jpg.306e5

20170625_190541-774x1032.thumb.jpg.38823

20170625_190548-774x1032.thumb.jpg.42cfa

Hope the pics are good enough...

I like my Braheas a lot.They're supposed to be well suited to this climate, so far mine seem to be pretty slow, but they were only planted a year ago... 

Sergi, which are the fastest in your collection?

J

• Upvote 2

On 30/05/2016 à, Jan Jo said:

Hi!

I´ve often followed topics on this site and have learnt a lot through it, but I am finally daring to post a few pics of my own garden in Cadiz, south of Spain, where I live, right next to the coast. The climate isn´t too bad here, maybe 9b or 10a but we get some pretty bad dry winds which tropical palms (and other plants) don´t enjoy much... Only a couple of frosts this winter, but palms like my Dypsis Lutescens or Pritchardia Hildebrandtii took quite a bit of a beating...

Hope you like my pics ;) 

IMG-20160507-WA0027.jpg.3ad31e1c00b08b61

I can see on this picture some small veichia johanis or arecina maybe ?
Do they get some damage during the winter, I lost some in morocco same size and they dont seems to like the winter this year others looks better now in summer.
Can you update with some picture after one year.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

Hi Sergi! Here, finally, are the Brahea close-ups I promised ;)

Brahea Dulcis

20170625_190352-774x1032.thumb.jpg.cfa89

20170625_190406-774x1032.thumb.jpg.41326

20170625_190413-774x1032.thumb.jpg.a2e49

Brahea Armata

20170625_190508-774x1032.thumb.jpg.3317a

20170625_190522-774x1032.thumb.jpg.6b5d9

... and Brahea Brandegeii...

20170625_190535-774x1032.thumb.jpg.306e5

20170625_190541-774x1032.thumb.jpg.38823

20170625_190548-774x1032.thumb.jpg.42cfa

Hope the pics are good enough...

I like my Braheas a lot.They're supposed to be well suited to this climate, so far mine seem to be pretty slow, but they were only planted a year ago... 

Sergi, which are the fastest in your collection?

J

Hi Jan Jo.

many thanks!

beautiful pics. Beautiful Genus.

Your Dulcis looks a Super Silver to me.

my faster ones are Brandergueei  and super Silver.

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2017, 12:53:25, dwimss said:

I can see on this picture some small veichia johanis or arecina maybe ?
Do they get some damage during the winter, I lost some in morocco same size and they dont seems to like the winter this year others looks better now in summer.
Can you update with some picture after one year.

Thanks.

Hi! That's a Veitchia Arecina.. It's been in the ground 3 winters I think. Doing ok, but I think that's because it's protected by the canopy of a Washingtonia. I tried Veitchia Joannis twice ... both died :(

I'll take another pic soon. Do you have any pics of yours?

J

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2017, 1:16:04, sergiskan said:

Hi Jan Jo.

many thanks!

beautiful pics. Beautiful Genus.

Your Dulcis looks a Super Silver to me.

my faster ones are Brandergueei  and super Silver.

Thanks!

Super silver you say? Mmm.. you may be right... I've never had either before so I wouldn't know... is Dulcis never that colour? I read they can be variable...

J

8 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

Thanks!

Super silver you say? Mmm.. you may be right... I've never had either before so I wouldn't know... is Dulcis never that colour? I read they can be variable...

J

True, Dulcis can be variable, from green to white/blue, one stem, suckering...

...I can be wrong, but when I saw your palm, Super Silver comes to my mind...:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2017 à, Jan Jo said:

Hi! That's a Veitchia Arecina.. It's been in the ground 3 winters I think. Doing ok, but I think that's because it's protected by the canopy of a Washingtonia. I tried Veitchia Joannis twice ... both died :(

I'll take another pic soon. Do you have any pics of yours?

J

Hi, I not sure if mine are Johanis or Arecina, maybe you can tell?

I would like to see yours after 3 years in the ground.

I have more than 10 in the ground, below pictures :

RJdKtPz.jpg

8Vkwe79.jpg

LaTAWXR.jpg

doeZWkx.jpg

XVZQtfY.jpg

VuKNkad.jpg

wa2EwHi.jpg

VqvHtVX.jpg

riLqbFk.jpg

C21two1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Love your garden! The species you can cultivate outside in the ground leaves someone high up north dreaming. 

I've spent a summer in your region some years ago, in Chipiona to be precise and I really loved it! I even brought some plants back from there, a Brahea armata from Servijardín garden center on the road to Chipiona, a single stem Howea forsteriana and a Arundo donax and Agave digged out somewhere :wink:

The little parc just outside Chipiona direction costa ballena (Chameleon?) was really nice to visit. 

Kr

Niek

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017, 4:31:26, dwimss said:

Hi, I not sure if mine are Johanis or Arecina, maybe you can tell?

I would like to see yours after 3 years in the ground.

I have more than 10 in the ground, below pictures :

RJdKtPz.jpg

8Vkwe79.jpg

LaTAWXR.jpg

doeZWkx.jpg

XVZQtfY.jpg

VuKNkad.jpg

wa2EwHi.jpg

VqvHtVX.jpg

riLqbFk.jpg

C21two1.jpg

Really nice pics! Those veitchia will look great when they get bigger... not sure if they are arecina or joannis, not enough of an expert.. what minimum temperatures do you get there? My arecina grows pretty slowly, unfortunately.. not sure whether the Washingtonia, which otherwise protects it in winter, is taking all it's nutrients and water.. so far only one new leaf this growing season :(

20170723_192735-774x1032.thumb.jpg.15f19

20170723_192748-774x1032.thumb.jpg.58998

Do you have a thread with more pics of your garden in Morocco?? ;)

• Upvote 1

Hi Sergi,

Thanks, it's one on my favourites :) no idea how old though, i bought it a couple of years ago, it has grown a bit, but hasnt quite taken off yet ... do you have a recent photo of your Brahea Brandegeii? ;)

On 7/11/2017, 8:02:17, lapalmeraie said:

Love your garden! The species you can cultivate outside in the ground leaves someone high up north dreaming. 

I've spent a summer in your region some years ago, in Chipiona to be precise and I really loved it! I even brought some plants back from there, a Brahea armata from Servijardín garden center on the road to Chipiona, a single stem Howea forsteriana and a Arundo donax and Agave digged out somewhere :wink:

The little parc just outside Chipiona direction costa ballena (Chameleon?) was really nice to visit. 

Kr

Niek

Hi Niek! Thanks! Yes, Chipiona is slightly further up the coast, not as windy as Conil where i live, but the beaches are better here ;)

I don't know that park, but I'll look for it... you don't get much variety in palms in parks around here...

How are those plants doing for you?

J

Very nice selection of palms. You grow things I cannot grow here. Do you have any Jubaea /

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Hi Alberto, thanks! What can I possibly grow here that you, in Brazil, can't ?! ;)

• Upvote 1

Where I live in South Brazil at 1030 m altitude we have freezes that kill some of the more tropical palms you grow,

• Upvote 1

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Jan Jo, as always I said to you... magnificient garden! :yay:

On 20/5/2017 13:54:10, Cluster said:

Hello Antonio,

I would love to see pictures of those coconuts and knowing which kind of protection/conditions they receive. I really doubt any coconut can live unprotected outdoors in south Spain long term unless special microclimates are created, don't ever expect to see it in public gardens, though I wish to be wrong! 

Hello Jan,

Your garden is amazing, I subscribe what others have said before, it is hard to believe we are in Europe!

Cluster, there is an user in a Spanish gardening forum (Isabel) which has 3 coconuts since 2011 if i'm not wrong, they all thrived since there and they passed all of their lifetime outdoors without any kind of protection. That zone has the warmest winters on Europe (without counting overseas territories) so in the right microclimate it might be possible if it doesn't come a record cold winter, just as it's happening now. This is the biggest of them:

584433dc630f3.JPG.cdacee9b02ea9189877cbf

We also have to take account that they're in pots, so their soil temperature will be always warmer than the ground in case of cold waves. They also receive as much sun as they can in winter days and they're protected from the cold northern winds as they're "strategically" placed near a wall from the house.

Still it's very impressive as they have no protection at all and they're at 37ºN latitude. I'm talking with Isabel in order to clarify things such as if they had received any kind of protection (although as far as I know they didn't) if they were looking bad in a specific winter, etc. 

The advantage of Málaga is that they very rarely receive cold waves, they receive very mild ones, as they're protected by big mountains on the north, she is from Rincón which is even more geographically protected and milder for the sea, I doubt if Rincón de la Victoria had any temperature under 4ºC in the last 10 years. 

Edited by Alicante
  • Upvote 1

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

On 7/23/2017, 10:29:18, Alberto said:

Very nice selection of palms. You grow things I cannot grow here. Do you have any Jubaea /

No Jubaea actually... just never occured to me, really.. you can only find very small ones in Spain. I'm not patient enough! ;)

• Upvote 1

But a young trunkless Jubaea is also beautifull. BTW , Jan Jo, are you dutch/

Hello Adam,

Not wanting to go offtopic, it would be nice if Isabel could share her story with us, even cover the coconut with some protection might help it (not saying she did it). She probably knows how to feed them well. Maybe she is lucky enough and they will live for long periods of time but having lower temperatures than Newport (only during the winter) surely makes it more unlikely. Ultimately if they are given all the best nutrients they can get, that might just give them the edge that they need to survive some nice years!

Jan Jo,

Will you try another Joannis?

18 hours ago, Alberto said:

But a young trunkless Jubaea is also beautifull. BTW , Jan Jo, are you dutch/

I'll look into jubaea then, if I can fit it in somewhere!

(I'm actually english, not dutch, but I do get asked that sometimes... my name comes from a strange english-catalan hybrid, Jan Jordi... I was born in Barcelona) ;)

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Cluster said:

Hello Adam,

Not wanting to go offtopic, it would be nice if Isabel could share her story with us, even cover the coconut with some protection might help it (not saying she did it). She probably knows how to feed them well. Maybe she is lucky enough and they will live for long periods of time but having lower temperatures than Newport (only during the winter) surely makes it more unlikely. Ultimately if they are given all the best nutrients they can get, that might just give them the edge that they need to survive some nice years!

Jan Jo,

Will you try another Joannis?

I guess I could try another Joannis if I could get hold of one.. I've discovered the hottest part of my garden is directly in front of the house, facing south, and that's where I've crammed in a few species, close to the house, which I know wouldn't like the winter in other areas of the garden: hyophorbe verschaeffelti, roystonea, euterpe edulis, dypsis leptocheilos... and now another veitchia perhaps... 

On 23/7/2017 22:16:42, Jan Jo said:

Hi Sergi,

Thanks, it's one on my favourites :) no idea how old though, i bought it a couple of years ago, it has grown a bit, but hasnt quite taken off yet ... do you have a recent photo of your Brahea Brandegeii? ;)

Hi Jan Jo.

thanks.

my Brandegeii is very small right now. Still on pot.

• 8 months later...

Hi! 

Just a couple of pics of some areas of my garden after a long, chilly winter, barely any actual frosts though.. which was lucky since it actually snowed on the beach near Malaga, further east...

First a couple of pics of seedlings I planted out about a year ago.. all seem ok...

20180415_113801-774x1032.thumb.jpg.c9af8

Crowded Sabal Mauritiformis...

20180415_114142-774x1032.thumb.jpg.ac1e3

Jubaeopsis Caffra

20180415_114150-774x1032.thumb.jpg.ad93e

Butiagrus in foreground, Caryota Maxima Himalaya and 2 Beccariophoenix Alfredii in background...

20180415_114421-774x1032.thumb.jpg.a1b2a

Livistona Fulva

And now, a couple of general garden pics...

20180415_114253-774x1032.jpg.90aed3be673

Livistona chinensis, Bismackia, and you can spot the same Beccariophoenix Alfredii seedlings in the background...

20180415_114312-1032x774.thumb.jpg.8c900

Phoenix Rupicola (left), Livistona Nitida (right), Jubaeopsis seedling in foreground, Howea Forsteriana and others in background...

20180415_114535-774x1032.thumb.jpg.13d7b

Bismarckia behind Coccothrinax Barbadensis and Hyophorbe Indica seedlings...

Hope you like them ;)

J

20180415_114253-774x1032.jpg

Edited by Jan Jo
  • Upvote 5