IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Paparoa National Park, South Island, New Zealand

Dave-Vero

I won't be able to post photos for a while, but the  trails near Pancake Rocks at Punakaiki would be impressive without palms.  Giant trees, two limestone gorges with cliffs, tree ferns.  And Nikau everywhere.  For a North American person like me, it's amazing.  In terms of palminess, I should perhaps have gone to New Caledonia instead, or signed on for the Biennial, but it's been a great day in a terrestrial paradise, complete with excellent trails.

IT was close to freezing this morning,some sun and comfortable in the afternoon.  

On the side, Christchurch Botanic Gardens' growing palm collection is looking good, though I suspect their Sabal palmetto would like more summer heat.  I'll have photos from there,too.

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Have fun on your travels Dave. Keep us posted... :)

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

New Zealand is a remarkable place to visit, so very different to what you would be used to. I am glad that you are having a great time. :D

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

NZ is awesome. I have wonderful memories about its beauty. Sadly I was quite young when I spent a month there and I lost the most part of the photos I took :wacko:

P1011041.JPG

• Upvote 4

08053.gif

The Pancake Rocks palminess was off the charts. One spectacular place! Visited last year in late afternoon and the thousands of Nikau on the hillsides looked like they were glowing. A natural wonder for sure.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim, a photo of this heavenly vision ?? Pretty please ?

San Francisco, California

Sanip's photo is exactly what I was seeing in the forest.

That picture was taken at Fairy Falls at the Waitakere Ranges Regional Park (Auckland) on 2006. I love that kind of forests. Each nikau, fern and trees seems to be planted following a landscaping design, it's subrreal. Definitely, I have to come back to know the South Island or maybe try to move there (I don't get a job in Spain).

Fairy falls 2.JPG

P1011039.JPG

Edited by Sanips
  • Upvote 2

08053.gif

I'll be at Piha, Waitakere Range, Thursday afternoon to Saturday morning.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Dave-Vero said:

I'll be at Piha, Waitakere Range, Thursday afternoon to Saturday morning.  

I'll be envious then, I loved Piha :wub:

Enjoy it

Edited by Sanips

08053.gif

Thanks for the request Darold, looking at the photos again brought back fond memories. It was a magical experience. 

Here are a few pics. 

Tim

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

• Upvote 6

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

My South Island photos will look very similar. Plus riversides and inside old-growth forest, depending on what worked.  The area is overrun with nikaus.  I think I may even have a decent photo of a rata tree getting started in a Nikau.  Ratas operate like strangler figs.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, realarch said:

Thanks for the request Darold, looking at the photos again brought back fond memories. It was a magical experience. 

Here are a few pics. 

Tim

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

:drool::drool::drool:

I want a nikau forest now!

South Island? those fronds seem to be damaged by cold. It must be a good place to develop the definitive hardy nikau

08053.gif

15 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

My South Island photos will look very similar. Plus riversides and inside old-growth forest, depending on what worked.  The area is overrun with nikaus.  I think I may even have a decent photo of a rata tree getting started in a Nikau.  Ratas operate like strangler figs.

That rata tree must be a Metrosideros robusta, it behaves as hemiepiphyte so it needs a tree/palm as a host.

08053.gif

AWWWWWsome 

17 hours ago, realarch said:

Here are a few pics. 

Tim

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwsome 

Amos, one possibility for the brown tips on the fronds is the proximity to the ocean and the salt spray. These are right on the coast. 

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 5/31/2016, 1:18:28, Monòver said:

:yay::yay::yay:

agreed!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great pictures of this palm in habitat!!

:) 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

The brown leaf tips ought to be from salt spray and wind.  Forest trees look tidier.  Not seeing many of them up north, currently at Omapere.  Auckand's Piha beach has some, but nothing like the abundance down south.  Up here, you can see kelp and mangroves on the same day.  I can't imagine mangroves in California.  

Saw plenty of Nikaus at Waipoua Forest today, along with silver fern and the amazing Kauri trees.  Perhaps more photos.