IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis pembana rapid growth

steve99

I have eight Dypsis Pembana in my garden, the first was planted in May 2014 and has grown steadily ever since.   Here's some before and after pics of the first one planted showing its rapid growth in the last two years     I must admit, I'm a big fan of Dypsis Pembana !

May 2014

m7c5n6.jpg

May2016

sg6d7q.jpg

• Upvote 9

Nice. Do you also grow Dypsis lanceolata?  I'd be interested to hear how growth compares.

cheers R

5 minutes ago, richnorm said:

Nice. Do you also grow Dypsis lanceolata?  I'd be interested to hear how growth compares.

cheers R

My Dypsis Lanceolata was continually attacked by weevils so I gave up growing them.    I know of several others in my area that have had similar problems.   

2 minutes ago, richnorm said:

Do you also grow Dypsis lanceolata?  I'd be interested to hear how growth compares.

Pembana has grown faster for me than D lanceolata.  Lanceolata is more prone to sunburn than D pembana for me, so pembana seems to handle more sun.  Winter cold and wind issues are similar, as both appreciate some protection or will yellow and show leaf tip burn.  Photos of similar age D pembana next to my garage, and the D lanceolata next to a 6' block wall.  Both were planted in late 2010 as 5 gallons.

20160216-104A1031.jpg

20160321-104A1203.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks guys. D.lanceolata is slow but steady here and looks like a winner for those with patience.  I haven't had the chance to try pembana but sounds like it's worth a shot if I can find one.

I had both growing well in my old garden. Dypsis lanceolata is no slouch, but Dypsis pembana goes up like the space shuttle... :)

Here's one of my lanceolatas...large trunk is 125mm diameter

DSC_1542.jpg

• Upvote 7

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Dypsis pembana is an awesome palm. I have two that are 10' & 15', respectively. Best Dypsis for FL I believe - neither heat nor cold nor sun faze it. Dypsis lanceolata by comparison is a wimp: more cold & sun sensitive and prone to rot. I lost all mine except one specimen now on my garden lot that seems determined to live. A very handsome palm nonetheless.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

This spring our largest D pembana went into the ground.  It reached the pool screen enclosure ceiling so it's out for the duration now.  Not sure if it's cold hardy enough for my location in a cold winter, but it's don alright inside the pool screen.  We chose a "warm spot" with overhead protection to reduce the risk frost will form on the foliage.  I suspect we'll be replacing it periodically but they grow beautifully in pots so we can keep the pipeline of replacement plants full.  Her's a pic.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

as I have mentioned in another thread, it is a beautiful steadily growing palm.

I do not have tall palms yet - we bought the house with an almosty empty garden three and a half

years ago and due to lack of variety at our local nurseries I have to buy seeds from overseas to grow the palms I like...

One of them is this wonderful species Dypsis Pembana and I am happy to be able to grow some of them.

Here are two pictures of them same palm:

031x.thumb.jpg.ec5e568c0316085cad1da53b5

This one was taken in April 2015 and that one...

033x.thumb.jpg.8199bf0fa9ff6bc843f82d066

one year later in April 2016.

It seems to do well over here - I am very glad about it!

best regards

Very nice looking palm

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

These grow very fast in my hood. About a year and a half ago (maybe less) mine was smaller than this one: image.thumb.jpg.8245bf2d06c7861c86545892 

And now is this size:

image.thumb.jpg.26f5e7cda50bf68965d18388

image.thumb.jpg.2fbba8b7e3903161dc2b7c0eimage.thumb.jpg.12183700e4c05c64aeebe339 

That is a six foot tall fence

Edited by Cocoa Beach Jason
  • Upvote 6

Wow that's nice^

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

• 2 months later...

Here is mine that was purchased a one gallon a year ago and just moved up to a 5 gallon a week ago.

pembana.jpg.afbbc2b4a7cad2c4b20d7657634d

How far north will these grow in Florida? Any chance to grow one in the ground in Houston?

Average low 28F.

Ed in Houston

3 minutes ago, Ed in Houston said:

Here is mine that was purchased a one gallon a year ago and just moved up to a 5 gallon a week ago.

How far north will these grow in Florida? Any chance to grow one in the ground in Houston?

Average low 28F.

Ed in Houston

Ed, I can't say for sure how far north of me they grow. But my largest took 28.5F in Jan. 2010 with only minor spotting. That was the coldest morning I've ever seen here. I would say they take at least the mid-20s albeit with some damage. It also survived a day of rain and temps falling to the mid-30s a day before. That was also a record anomaly as winter here is dry season and I've never seen rain below 50F before or since. I still wouldn't want it exposed to snow, ice or cold rain regularly.

I'd say it is worth trying, esp. if you put it in a south-facing microclimate out of arctic wind. Mine is in the back yard about 5' from the south wall of the house. If your temps rebound after a cold night, damage may be limited. It is sparsely clumping so may come back from extreme lows as long as the ground doesn't freeze.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

22 minutes ago, Ed in Houston said:

Average low 28F.

Ed in Houston

They grow at Lew Gardens in Orlando and Eric has generally been promoting them for Central Florida. I bought one about a month ago, but haven't planted it yet. I'd guess it has averaged 30-31f here since 2000 so it is quite a bit colder than where Meg is. We'll see how it does. 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Trying this in Norcal as well - my lows average 30 degrees in the winter as well, so should be a good experiment.  Also trying D. sp. mayotte.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks for the info about Tampa, Orlando (Leu Gardens) and Cape Coral wrt D. pembana hardiness. I believe that this palm would do fine in Galveston and perhaps in a south facing concrete enclave near downtown Houston, assuming a post 1980s climate. I will leave mine in a container for the time being and enjoy this fast growing handsome palm that way.

Ed in Houston

• 6 months later...
On 6/8/2016, 8:18:07, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

These grow very fast in my hood. About a year and a half ago (maybe less) mine was smaller than this one: image.thumb.jpg.8245bf2d06c7861c86545892 

And now is this size:

image.thumb.jpg.26f5e7cda50bf68965d18388

image.thumb.jpg.2fbba8b7e3903161dc2b7c0eimage.thumb.jpg.12183700e4c05c64aeebe339 

That is a six foot tall fence

Still growing 8 months later

IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2203.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

• Upvote 4

Here's another one of my Pembana's.   This one has grown quite fast too, although it did get a little sunburnt after a very hot day about three weeks ago, so it's probably not looking as good as it should be.

15595c42.jpg

51387a02.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Pembana is fast for me but Dypsis sp. Mayotte is way faster and is in the same complex so if looking for something in that complex, I'd grow sp. Mayotte all day long.

I have found pembana to be very fast, among the fastest feather palms I have inchuding 4 species of archies, at least to 18-20'.  these come in two forms clumper and single trunk.  this one was the single trunk variety, I also have two clumpers which are not as fast but dont have the same exposure.  Six years from a 2' seedling to a 18-20' split trunk palm.  This one initially had a wear pull in the 28F cold/frost as seedling, I thought it might die as it lost all leaves as well.  But repeated daconil and peroxide treatments( 2 week intervals) down the spear whole saved it.  The split in the trunk occurred after the spear pull.  The first new spear out came out the side through a dead leaf base, it wasnt the original grow point.  But the biggest of the two trunks is the original growing point. Today it has ~10-11' clear trunk and two trunks that split 6-8" above the ground and hold 10-12 leaves total.  Caliper is 5" plus at 2' off the ground.  Its a great palm and has some very nice blue green hues on the trunk.  These can be grown in full sun and part shade.  Mine sees just a half day sun at most, and that is eiher overhead or west sun as to its east is a big royal and a 25' clumping caryota mitis which block early day sun.  also late day sun only falls on the leaves, not the trunk for most of the year(winter +/- it gets some sun on the trunk)..

pembana.PNG

dypsisP2trunk.PNG

• Upvote 4

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 4 months later...

I have one year old dypsis pembana seedlings, ready for planting out.  I am wanting to put 2 seedlings, into the same hole, is this ok ? Should hole be length of seedling ? I will water every day for first week, then twice every week.  I have been told, no fertilizer for at least 6 months.  then use slow release 10.10.10.      We have climate in Fuerteventura , Canary Islands, same as south Miami. Infact we can grow coconut palms.  I want to build a water irrigation system.   So my question is, are my steps correct ? should hole depth, only be length of seedling?

2 hours ago, Patrick Palms said:

I have one year old dypsis pembana seedlings, ready for planting out.  I am wanting to put 2 seedlings, into the same hole, is this ok ? Should hole be length of seedling ? I will water every day for first week, then twice every week.  I have been told, no fertilizer for at least 6 months.  then use slow release 10.10.10.      We have climate in Fuerteventura , Canary Islands, same as south Miami. Infact we can grow coconut palms.  I want to build a water irrigation system.   So my question is, are my steps correct ? should hole depth, only be length of seedling?

Actually I may understand you'll plant the Dypsis in Canary Islands and not in East England, so, since this species is clumping I wouldn't plant two plants in the same hole.

I wouldn't dig a too wide hole, not more than twice the diameter of the pot... I am sure spanish Palmtalk members have a better experience for this climate than I do.

Maybe confirm in the other threads you started that the planting you'll do will be in Canary Islands, you may get more responds.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka