• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

carpoxylon macrosperma seed cleaning/germination

crystal creek palms

Hi all I received some some what fresh seed today from this species and was after any info on germinating process, is it just the same as any other palm seed, soak for 24 hrs then baggy method in perlite sand peat mix in warn area?

The biggest question is how do i clean the flesh, outer skin its some what different to other seeds ive handled to date and seems quite woody.

IMG_2201.JPG

Edited by crystal creek palms

I do not know what cleaning and scrubbing methods will work, but germinating them is a piece of cake. 28C or 85F will suffice. I had 100% of them sprouting within a month. I am not even sure I soaked them. I used coco coir as a germination medium.

Frank

1 minute ago, Hamal said:

I do not know what cleaning and scrubbing methods will work, but germinating them is a piece of cake. 28C or 85F will suffice. I had 100% of them sprouting within a month. I am not even sure I soaked them. I used coco coir as a germination medium.

I just ment the outter husk stuff over the seed, mine have been sourced locally so not cleaned or anythink yet, I picked up another 50 today :)

So ive got some what 70 fresh seed soaking for about 20hrs some a few weeks old and some are fresh off the tree so still very hard husk, the ones that are a few weeks old the husk is peeling off a bit now since being in water, dose anyone recommend peeling off as much husk as possible or leaving the husk on?

13 minutes ago, crystal creek palms said:

So ive got some what 70 fresh seed soaking for about 20hrs some a few weeks old and some are fresh off the tree so still very hard husk, the ones that are a few weeks old the husk is peeling off a bit now since being in water, dose anyone recommend peeling off as much husk as possible or leaving the husk on?

When I germinate Carpoxylon seeds 3 years ago, they had no husk and they all germinated, so I would say: remove husk.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I recently had great success -almost 100% germination with seeds received in the mail. Removing the husk is unnecessary. I didn't remove any of the husks. They can get fungal attack quite easily so don't soak for more than a day if you are going to do that. However, given that you are blessed to have mature plants in your area the seed will be fresh and probably doesn't require this treatment. I would leave the husk on, half bury them on their sides in your germinating mix, keep them at about 30degreesC and you should see some sprouting in less than a month. Subsequent growth is pretty quick too. They are very quick and easy. If they do get fungal attack give them a quick soak in hydrogen peroxide (3%)- you can purchase this from the chemist. I have mine in a heated glasshouse down here in the south. When they get large I will give them a crack outside in the ground. Have fun. 

2 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

I recently had great success -almost 100% germination with seeds received in the mail. Removing the husk is unnecessary. I didn't remove any of the husks. They can get fungal attack quite easily so don't soak for more than a day if you are going to do that. However, given that you are blessed to have mature plants in your area the seed will be fresh and probably doesn't require this treatment. I would leave the husk on, half bury them on their sides in your germinating mix, keep them at about 30degreesC and you should see some sprouting in less than a month. Subsequent growth is pretty quick too. They are very quick and easy. If they do get fungal attack give them a quick soak in hydrogen peroxide (3%)- you can purchase this from the chemist. I have mine in a heated glasshouse down here in the south. When they get large I will give them a crack outside in the ground. Have fun. 

Wow thanks for that info, yeah I received more seed again from a close mate he has a dozen or so of these in his yard and they fruiting now vigorously, I've always soaked fresh seed to loosen up the fruit then scrubbed it off after a couple of days or hit it with the high pressure hose always stripped it and never had any problems with germination with other types of Palm seed, I've put down 20 or so half de-husked seed already but all the ones I put down from now will be husk on and just clean of there fruit.

Yes. Soak to clean off the fruit and I think once you do that you will be ok. You are fortunate to have a close source of fresh seeds. I bought mine for 44 Euro- they are quite desirable.

Here's a pic of one of the seeds germinated. Place the seed half buried in the mix in the orientation shown in the pic (i.e. with the mix towards the bottom of the pic. The roots of this plant has pushed the seed away from the mix(it was originally lying flat). The embryo is in the more pointy end of the seed so that is where both the leaf and roots will emerge from. I doubt you will need luck-they are very easy to germinate.

Carpoxylon2016.JPG

On 2 June 2016 at 8:38:35 PM, Sir Oxylon said:
3 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

Here's a pic of one of the seeds germinated. Place the seed half buried in the mix in the orientation shown in the pic (i.e. with the mix towards the bottom of the pic. The roots of this plant has pushed the seed away from the mix(it was originally lying flat). The embryo is in the more pointy end of the seed so that is where both the leaf and roots will emerge from. I doubt you will need luck-they are very easy to germinate.

Carpoxylon2016.JPG

Thanks mate looks good 

I'm going to invest in a few more heat mats for this time of year, anyone know any cheap places to get them online?

Here are a few more pictures of what they look like after germination.

5753ee6fabef3_Carpoxylonmacrospermum2015

Sorry, not a perfect picture. But they grow very quickly at this stage. The picture below is only 2 months later last summer.

5753ee716cd31_Carpoxylonmacrospermum2015

Edited by Hamal
  • Upvote 1

Frank

8 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

The resolution of your pic is not optimal, nevertheless I’ve attached some explaining labels: :innocent:

57541d0275cca_Carpoxylonmacrospermum.thu

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

So it's been about 10-11 days since I put down first batch and I just had a sneaky look how they are going and my germination media is on the dry side, I think I added in too much sand, anyway I counted about 6 that have popped and sending out there white root or spear not sure which comes first with these, it's my first time with them, anyway they are fastest Palm seed I've germinated yet.

Yes, that was my experience as well. Very quick germination, and within 2 months you will have palms that are already a foot tall. Since they are adjacent germinators, that is probably the root that you are seeing, even though the spear will be right behind it.

Frank

9 hours ago, Hamal said:

Yes, that was my experience as well. Very quick germination, and within 2 months you will have palms that are already a foot tall. Since they are adjacent germinators, that is probably the root that you are seeing, even though the spear will be right behind it.

Yes had another look today and there's a few more poping out, can't believe it , might let em root a little before I put em in small pots, as it will be different temps once they hit the pots, shouldn't matter to Much I hope.

16 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

Your temps won't worry them in the slightest! 

No worries thanks mate, 

i need to send that email off to you, I've been too busy.

This is what they will look like 1 year after germination in mid-European climate. As you can see, it develops the first pinnate leaf. Of course, during the winter months, they only survive as a potted indoor plant.

5763d9e9955c3_Carpoxylonmacrospermum2016

Edited by Hamal

Frank

• 3 years later...

I am so sad. I bought 10 seeds from RPS and they have all rotted. I think I did everything right and followed a combination of variable instruction. Only thing I'm wondering about is whether it helps to provide light. I did not give them light. $4 per a pop for bad seeds. Any ideas where I can get some fresh seed?

• 6 months later...

Finally got them popping. So excited. 5 so far out of 20. Second try but much fresher from Atlantis from those dried out corky things I got from RPS. They took about 1 month.

20201021_081057.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Finally got them popping. So excited. 5 so far out of 20. Second try but much fresher from Atlantis from those dried out corky things I got from RPS. They took about 1 month.

20201021_081057.jpg

Stand back!  They'll push up some nice growth pretty quickly!  Very satisfying to see.  :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

• 5 weeks later...

I potted them with regular potting soil + 5% perlite + 35% vermiculite + 8% crushed leca + 30 % pine bark. Trying for moisture retention, very much in contrasted with other palm mixes.  So that makes me nervous...

My indoor area is hot and humid. How much light should I give them? Should I keep them totally direct-sunlight free?

Any other advices much appreciated. 

Regards,

Ben

20201120_111715.jpg