IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

You've got to be kidding...

STEVE IN SO CAL

Just pulled this from the NWS....

WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. COLDER. LOWS 36 TO 46

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Steve,

Thats the pits for sure. The weather has been like a yoyo everywhere it seems. We tied an all time low the other day of 50F at Palm Beach International airport. I couldn't believe how cool it was when I got up that morning and went outside. A friend of mine in Missourri said they had snow flurries and low 20F's, then two days later, low 80F. Crazy.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Tell me about it..... I'm afraid to keep anything outside until June now....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Steve, I literally feel your pain.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

36 is low...... We've been hovering around 40f at night now and that's 5-10f below normal.. but it's all supposed to change by friday, thank god.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Steve: I thought I lived in the coldest hole in coastal San Diego county! Here is my zip code's forecast... Where are you located to get a forecast like that?

post-662-1176909773_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Yikes! It's enough to make your head spin (if it isn't already!). Still seeing death and latent damage. More loss than expected earlier. Things will look bad for awhile.

44F low predicted here.

Is the summer heat going to be crazy too?? Probably better than cold weather. I only had problems w/ kentias and Dypsis decipiens during last summers heat.

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Terry...you get some coastal influence where you are, even though you're low in elevation. I have hills around me, and my field is in a valley. I won't freeze at the house, but when they call for a low of 36-44, I'll definately see the 36 in my field. Yet, there are places in Fallbrook that have bouganvillas and agave attenuatas that are untouched...go figger.

Steve: I bought my house 9 years ago, long before I got into tropicals. Next time I move, elevation and microclimate is going to weigh-in as a deciding factor.

When I drove out to South Coast Palms a few weeks ago, there were defoliated queens and washies along the San Luis Rey in Bonsall. How cold did it get there to pull that off? Just up the hill, Gary Wood has a Roystonea oleracea and a Caryota rumphiana both twentysome feet tall.

Steve,

That's bad for out in SoCal. Especially after your winter.

Cincinnati is experiencing its first black spring in over 20 years. All the trees had begun to leaf out excluding ash trees since they leaf out so late. Then we had a 60 degree drop in temperature over 2 days with lows in the low 20's for like 5 days straight. Only trees with any green left are the pears. Everything else is black.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

If you came up south Mission, did you see the 40' tall CIDP's that were fried?

That whole valley got whacked hard. But it's another 6 or 8 miles past your place, I believe. All the cold draining off of Palomar Mt comes flowing through there...

Sorry about the cold, Steve  :(  helps climatologists track conditions across diverse terrain.  

Our freeze defined topography in relation to weather.  San Diego countryside presents challenges. Terry's observation of San Luis Rey riverbed is quite insightful  :P

Passage of the polar dry front transports cold air.  Quite windy this evening. Wind quiets down overnight in San Diego Co but not LA & assuring minimums 45-55.

Strong  Westerlies w/ best chance of rainfall this weekend  :P since Feb.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(JakeK @ Apr. 18 2007,21:45)

Steve,

That's bad for out in SoCal. Especially after your winter.

Cincinnati is experiencing its first black spring in over 20 years. All the trees had begun to leaf out excluding ash trees since they leaf out so late. Then we had a 60 degree drop in temperature over 2 days with lows in the low 20's for like 5 days straight. Only trees with any green left are the pears. Everything else is black.

Jake...I lived in louisville(loovul) and surrounding areas for eight years. I know about your winters (chargers vs Bengals in the ice bowl)

Happ...what's up with this storm? NWS says 50% chance fri,

Weather.com says biggest storm of the year...wudyuthink?

I forgot about that CIDP. Yeah, I saw it too. Next winter, when we get a cold spell I might take a digital hi-lo thermometer and leave it under the bridge on College, north of Hwy 76.

What happened to Friday's 60% chance of rain? It was there this morning, now it's gone.

(osideterry @ Apr. 18 2007,22:24)

I forgot about that CIDP. Yeah, I saw it too. Next winter, when we get a cold spell I might take a digital hi-lo thermometer and leave it under the bridge on College, north of Hwy 76.

What happened to Friday's 60% chance of rain? It was there this morning, now it's gone.

Thay're still saying fiddy/ fiddy...

I feel for you guys in So Cal. When is it going to get warm for you. Yahoo weather is forecasting a 14C max for San Diego this week. What's with that????????? You are equivalent to our late Oct in the S hemisphere and by then we're at least into the high twenties at times with nothing below 20C with lowest mins around 10C. We only got as low as 14C once in all of last winter???? Something is totally wrong with your weather. Lets hope you get some nice consistent warm to hot weather in summer to make up for it all, hopefully with high humidity.

best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It was 42.6F at my place this morning. 4F lower than predicted. Not damaging, but I swear the bananas look pissed.

Steve: Please tell me you didn't hit 32F?

(happ @ Apr. 18 2007,19:03)

Passage of the polar dry front transports cold air.  Quite windy this evening. Wind quiets down overnight in San Diego Co but not LA & assuring minimums 45-55.

Happ,

The wind died at my place last night, and it was about 8.5C this morning (47F)...

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Happ,

The wind died at my place last night, and it was about 8.5C this morning (47F)...

Jack

Wow, Jack that's pretty chilly for Mid-April out there....  I hope this doesn't carry over into May.... We need HEAT!!!

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

terry...i've lost interest in my thermometers. My hi-lo that reads the remote units broke(froze ? :D )

(elHoagie @ Apr. 19 2007,13:10)

(happ @ Apr. 18 2007,19:03)

Happ,

Jack

Jack

Recorded 49F/9.4c before light east wind pushed temp back up into the 50's shortly after sunrise.  Cool but by no means unheard of.

Preliminary morning data indicates a minimum of 35F/1.6c at the Ramona airport [at an elevation of nearly 2000'.  Los Angeles county was basically 45F-52F.  These minimums are maybe 5-10 degrees below average but spring is a cool season along the California coast [ocean temps 55F-63F].  The flow is strongly out of the northwest and progressive with weak storm systems.

In fact, prediction of up to an inch of rainfall for SoCal by tomorrow night  :P  I hope!

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(BobbyinNY @ Apr. 19 2007,12:14)

Happ,

Jack

Wow, Jack that's pretty chilly for Mid-April out there....  I hope this doesn't carry over into May.... We need HEAT!!!

Nothing too unusual Bobby, but it's the coldest it's been since March.  The average low here in mid April is only 12C (54F).  It takes a LONG time to warm up here in the spring...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

BUT, It rained today!!!   Looks like about 3/4 to an inch here.... Hooray!!!  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Ironically, April 20 has been the wettest day of the entire rain season  :P

But too little too late  :(

Rain year total: 5.16

Love the smell of wet hillside  :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23