Sign in to follow this  
STEVE IN SO CAL

You've got to be kidding...

STEVE IN SO CAL

Just pulled this from the NWS....

WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. COLDER. LOWS 36 TO 46

ZoneTenNut

Steve,

Thats the pits for sure. The weather has been like a yoyo everywhere it seems. We tied an all time low the other day of 50F at Palm Beach International airport. I couldn't believe how cool it was when I got up that morning and went outside. A friend of mine in Missourri said they had snow flurries and low 20F's, then two days later, low 80F. Crazy.

Roger

BobbyinNY

Tell me about it..... I'm afraid to keep anything outside until June now....

SubTropicRay

Steve, I literally feel your pain.

BobbyinNY

36 is low...... We've been hovering around 40f at night now and that's 5-10f below normal.. but it's all supposed to change by friday, thank god.

osideterry

Steve: I thought I lived in the coldest hole in coastal San Diego county! Here is my zip code's forecast... Where are you located to get a forecast like that?

post-662-1176909773_thumb.jpg

Joe palma

Yikes! It's enough to make your head spin (if it isn't already!). Still seeing death and latent damage. More loss than expected earlier. Things will look bad for awhile.

44F low predicted here.

Is the summer heat going to be crazy too?? Probably better than cold weather. I only had problems w/ kentias and Dypsis decipiens during last summers heat.

STEVE IN SO CAL

Terry...you get some coastal influence where you are, even though you're low in elevation. I have hills around me, and my field is in a valley. I won't freeze at the house, but when they call for a low of 36-44, I'll definately see the 36 in my field. Yet, there are places in Fallbrook that have bouganvillas and agave attenuatas that are untouched...go figger.

palmsrgreat

Its crazy all over. During Easter weekend we got down to 36, last weekend was low 40's.

osideterry

Steve: I bought my house 9 years ago, long before I got into tropicals. Next time I move, elevation and microclimate is going to weigh-in as a deciding factor.

When I drove out to South Coast Palms a few weeks ago, there were defoliated queens and washies along the San Luis Rey in Bonsall. How cold did it get there to pull that off? Just up the hill, Gary Wood has a Roystonea oleracea and a Caryota rumphiana both twentysome feet tall.

JakeK

Steve,

That's bad for out in SoCal. Especially after your winter.

Cincinnati is experiencing its first black spring in over 20 years. All the trees had begun to leaf out excluding ash trees since they leaf out so late. Then we had a 60 degree drop in temperature over 2 days with lows in the low 20's for like 5 days straight. Only trees with any green left are the pears. Everything else is black.

STEVE IN SO CAL

If you came up south Mission, did you see the 40' tall CIDP's that were fried?

That whole valley got whacked hard. But it's another 6 or 8 miles past your place, I believe. All the cold draining off of Palomar Mt comes flowing through there...

happ

Sorry about the cold, Steve  :(  helps climatologists track conditions across diverse terrain.  

Our freeze defined topography in relation to weather.  San Diego countryside presents challenges. Terry's observation of San Luis Rey riverbed is quite insightful  :P

Passage of the polar dry front transports cold air.  Quite windy this evening. Wind quiets down overnight in San Diego Co but not LA & assuring minimums 45-55.

Strong  Westerlies w/ best chance of rainfall this weekend  :P since Feb.

STEVE IN SO CAL

(JakeK @ Apr. 18 2007,21:45)

Steve,

That's bad for out in SoCal. Especially after your winter.

Cincinnati is experiencing its first black spring in over 20 years. All the trees had begun to leaf out excluding ash trees since they leaf out so late. Then we had a 60 degree drop in temperature over 2 days with lows in the low 20's for like 5 days straight. Only trees with any green left are the pears. Everything else is black.

Jake...I lived in louisville(loovul) and surrounding areas for eight years. I know about your winters (chargers vs Bengals in the ice bowl)

Happ...what's up with this storm? NWS says 50% chance fri,

Weather.com says biggest storm of the year...wudyuthink?

osideterry

I forgot about that CIDP. Yeah, I saw it too. Next winter, when we get a cold spell I might take a digital hi-lo thermometer and leave it under the bridge on College, north of Hwy 76.

What happened to Friday's 60% chance of rain? It was there this morning, now it's gone.

STEVE IN SO CAL

(osideterry @ Apr. 18 2007,22:24)

I forgot about that CIDP. Yeah, I saw it too. Next winter, when we get a cold spell I might take a digital hi-lo thermometer and leave it under the bridge on College, north of Hwy 76.

What happened to Friday's 60% chance of rain? It was there this morning, now it's gone.

Thay're still saying fiddy/ fiddy...

Tyrone

I feel for you guys in So Cal. When is it going to get warm for you. Yahoo weather is forecasting a 14C max for San Diego this week. What's with that????????? You are equivalent to our late Oct in the S hemisphere and by then we're at least into the high twenties at times with nothing below 20C with lowest mins around 10C. We only got as low as 14C once in all of last winter???? Something is totally wrong with your weather. Lets hope you get some nice consistent warm to hot weather in summer to make up for it all, hopefully with high humidity.

best regards

Tyrone

osideterry

It was 42.6F at my place this morning. 4F lower than predicted. Not damaging, but I swear the bananas look pissed.

Steve: Please tell me you didn't hit 32F?

elHoagie

(happ @ Apr. 18 2007,19:03)

Passage of the polar dry front transports cold air.  Quite windy this evening. Wind quiets down overnight in San Diego Co but not LA & assuring minimums 45-55.

Happ,

The wind died at my place last night, and it was about 8.5C this morning (47F)...

Jack

BobbyinNY
Happ,

The wind died at my place last night, and it was about 8.5C this morning (47F)...

Jack

Wow, Jack that's pretty chilly for Mid-April out there....  I hope this doesn't carry over into May.... We need HEAT!!!

STEVE IN SO CAL

terry...i've lost interest in my thermometers. My hi-lo that reads the remote units broke(froze ? :D )

happ

(elHoagie @ Apr. 19 2007,13:10)

(happ @ Apr. 18 2007,19:03)

Happ,

Jack

Jack

Recorded 49F/9.4c before light east wind pushed temp back up into the 50's shortly after sunrise.  Cool but by no means unheard of.

Preliminary morning data indicates a minimum of 35F/1.6c at the Ramona airport [at an elevation of nearly 2000'.  Los Angeles county was basically 45F-52F.  These minimums are maybe 5-10 degrees below average but spring is a cool season along the California coast [ocean temps 55F-63F].  The flow is strongly out of the northwest and progressive with weak storm systems.

In fact, prediction of up to an inch of rainfall for SoCal by tomorrow night  :P  I hope!

elHoagie

(BobbyinNY @ Apr. 19 2007,12:14)

Happ,

Jack

Wow, Jack that's pretty chilly for Mid-April out there....  I hope this doesn't carry over into May.... We need HEAT!!!

Nothing too unusual Bobby, but it's the coldest it's been since March.  The average low here in mid April is only 12C (54F).  It takes a LONG time to warm up here in the spring...

BS Man about Palms

BUT, It rained today!!!   Looks like about 3/4 to an inch here.... Hooray!!!  :D

happ

Ironically, April 20 has been the wettest day of the entire rain season  :P

But too little too late  :(

Rain year total: 5.16

Love the smell of wet hillside  :D