IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mangoes for a Mediterranean climate?

empireo22

hello everyone, what are some mango varieties that are better suited for a Mediterranean climate? I know some of the Indian varieties produce better than the Philippine varieties in the drier cooler Mediterranean gardens. thanks for any help.  

I am not an expert in mangos, but i know the spanish farmings in southern Spain are always with the variety "osteen".

• Upvote 1

I'm trying an Indian variety in my garden, but its only been in for a few months.  My first crop is beginning to form.The variety is Alfonso and came recommended from a local nursery specializing in tropical fruits located in Vista, CA20160511-104A1686.thumb.jpg.a8ebbfb95b5a

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Bowen or Kensington Pride are the comercial cultivar R2E2 are two that are recommended for Adelaide 

• Upvote 1

There's a guy named Tim Thompson in Camarillo, California who's developed mangos that he says are better for this climate.  The "Timotayo" mango was one of his earlier introductions.  Here's a link to his website: Socalplantbreeders

But here in Escondido California I seem to be succeeding with every type of mango I try.  I've got an Indian "Mallika", a "Keitt, and a Vietnamese "Cat Hoa Loc".  They are all producing fruit.  My Thai "Nam Doc Mai" died -- but that was because a gopher got it..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rprimbs said:

I've got an Indian "Mallika", a "Keitt, and a Vietnamese "Cat Hoa Loc".

Which fruit of the ones you are growing is your favorite?  Any difference in productivity or fruit yield in the three varieties?

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I'm very interested how this thread will develop. Mangoes are one my "silent wishes" :) . Haven't much luck with germination so fare.

Photo is of some of the mango from mango tree here in California  last year I had a bumper crop for a while it was three mango a day would fall out of the tree ripe.  I know at one time California rare Fruitgrowers was doing a study on which mangoes did well in California.  Never got to find out which ones.  But my mango tree from Home Depot seems to do OK here.  I was told the yellow fruit mangoes are the best ones for colder climates stay away from the red fruit ones.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Kevin S said:

Photo is of some of the mango from mango tree here in California  last year I had a bumper crop for a while it was three mango a day would fall out of the tree ripe.  I know at one time California rare Fruitgrowers was doing a study on which mangoes did well in California.  Never got to find out which ones.  But my mango tree from Home Depot seems to do OK here.  I was told the yellow fruit mangoes are the best ones for colder climates stay away from the red fruit ones.

image.jpeg

Let me know if you have any extra seed for sale please

On 5/25/2016, 9:54:05, Tracy said:

Which fruit of the ones you are growing is your favorite?  Any difference in productivity or fruit yield in the three varieties?

Our Mallika's didn't taste very good last year, but I don't really know how to store and ripen Indian mangoes.

The Keitt were surprisingly good -- totally fiber less with very good flavor.

However the Cat Hoa Loc are far and away my favorite variety that we are growing. They are similar to Nam Doc Mai but with better flavor.  And curiously our Cat Hoa Loc is our best producer this year.  I thought it would be too tropical for our climate.  I got it from toptropicals.Com .

• Upvote 1

On 26-5-2016 08:29:57, dalmatiansoap said:

I'm very interested how this thread will develop. Mangoes are one my "silent wishes" :) . Haven't much luck with germination so fare.

Hi,

mango's are very easy to germinate, it took me some time before I succeeded but if you know how you can hardly fail.

Although I'm in the Netherlands I figured I'd just try to germinate some supermarket fruit and finally it worked. By now I've managed to germinate over 10 I guess..lost count:)

cheers

T

20 hours ago, rice said:

Hi,

mango's are very easy to germinate, it took me some time before I succeeded but if you know how you can hardly fail.

Although I'm in the Netherlands I figured I'd just try to germinate some supermarket fruit and finally it worked. By now I've managed to germinate over 10 I guess..lost count:)

cheers

T

Any details to share? Tried several times with store fruit and worked only once. Lost that plant due some virus infection. Im guessing most of store fruits are irradiated and thus sterile.

Hi,

well that's what I heard before I began trying but honestly I don't think some sort of irridation is a problem. I've tried al least a dozen mangoes from all sorts of sources and shops and they mostly germinate without a problem (i'd say >80% germinates) within 10 days.

My method is super simple:

first eat it:)

Then right after, carefully remove as much of the remaining fruit as possible,

Then take a big kitchen scissors and carefully cut around the sharp side of the 'nut' so most of the fibers are removed.

Then try to cut a bit off the sides of the nut. This should open the nut just enough to break it open further, either by hand or using a screwdriver/knife of what else you find useful. Sometimes you can open it by hand. Be aware that when using the scissors you don't cut too much into the nut or you could damage the seed inside.

When you've opened the nut carefully take out the seed.

Wash it, let it dry for a few hours.

Then take some kitchenpaper (or toiletpaper) and loosely fold it around the mango two times or so.

Then swiftly put it under the watertap, making sure it is wet but not soaked.

Then put the wrapped seed in a plastic box / whatever you find useful and cover it. I always make sure it's not sealed of completely.

Put the box in a warm place (25-30c) and leave it there for a week.

Check back after a week and you will find the seed has germinated inside the paper towel (the towel might be dried by now but has given just enough humidity to germinate, without risking it to rot for being wet too much too long)

The germinated seed starts forming a root first.

Place it flat (root downward) in some standard potting soil (make sure it's airy enough/not too heavy soil) and water lightly.

After another 10 days the first leaves will form.

that's it!

good luck

(sorry for using so many words for such a simple process..it's real easy as you'll find out)

• Upvote 3

I remember an old thread on this forum about mangoes.  Somebody said that many mangoes were polyembryonic (They produce more than one seedling from a seed).  And in polyembryonic seedings the smaller seedling is "true to type".  

Please correct me if I have this wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good so fare, two seeds are in the box, showing green tips. One Keitt (correct me if I m wrong) fruit in the sink waiting for fruit salad for dinner :)

• Upvote 1

Hi,

as mentioned above I usually wait with putting the seed into soil until a small root has formed. If so, just put it flat on the soil, root downward and cover slightly, no need to put under the ground as the root will find it's way down. The first leaves will appear a bit later, keep moist just a bit or otherwise it 'll rot away..

Edited by rice
typo
  • Upvote 1

Commercial Keitt orchards are in the Coachella Valley.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C