IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Huntington Botanical Gardens image gallery (May 21, 2016 PSSC meeting)

Pando

52 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

GREAT pictures Pando!.. Missed a chance to tour the Conservatory the last time i visited. Nice to see such a diverse collection in there. You or anyone else get pictures of the Ombu Tree above the Bamboo garden/KoiPond?

Kinda...

20160521_121316.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pando said:

100 bonus points for anyone who can guess the name of the famous actor who just walked by   :floor:
RzNkEpN.jpg

Danny Devito

Pando:

What a fantastic tour of the Huntington! Thanks for posting these images.

Bandy-legged, dork haircut with some gray in the back, lifter heels...I'll go for Sean Penn, fervently hoping it's no-one from this forum :innocent:

J

11 hours ago, Pando said:

Hahaha.... nope :)

I'm incognito. Actually there is only one (1) picture of me on the internets. And only one other Palmtalker knows where it's at.

Found it!

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

On 5/23/2016, 8:10:50, Pando said:

I'd like to ID these two.

Is the fan leaf palm Mauritia flexuosa?

What about the fish tail leafed slender palm in the foreground?

14 hours ago, Pando said:

100 bonus points for anyone who can guess the name of the famous actor who just walked by   :floor:
RzNkEpN.jpg

Too s

Thanks

Too short to be Matt B . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 5/23/2016, 8:10:50, Pando said:

What about the fish tail leafed slender palm in the foreground?  Ptychosperma, caryotoides, burretianum or waitinanum?

Thanks

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

G. argyrata. If you look closely, you can actually see there is a Washingtonia robusta seedling hiding in the upper left.

IMG_3657.thumb.jpg.c7b6f72a2eb8848ce1a28

The always photogenic Brahea decumbens! One of my favorites.

IMG_3656.thumb.jpg.4281b65f545bbab87f6ba

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

Pando:

What a fantastic tour of the Huntington! Thanks for posting these images.

Bandy-legged, dork haircut with some gray in the back, lifter heels...I'll go for Sean Penn, fervently hoping it's no-one from this forum

J

Thanks Jay!

Not Sean Penn.

A hint - he played a movie character named "George"...

7 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Ptychosperma, caryotoides, burretianum or waitinanum?

Thanks Dave, I'm not sure, as the shape of the seeds don't match any of them. The seeds are shaped like beans.

BVW3lM5.jpg

OBeLcap.jpg

Great pictures msporty! I wish I had more time to stroll around outside to look at some of the gems growing there. The G. argyrata looks huge!

5 hours ago, Pando said:

Thanks Jay!

Not Sean Penn.

I have no idea why I'm guessing Christian Slater..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

13 hours ago, Pando said:

Thanks Jay!

Not Sean Penn.

Brendan Fraser

On Mon May 23 2016 20:40:50 GMT+0530 (Sri Lanka Standard, Pando said:

What about the fish tail leafed slender palm in the foreground?

Thanks

fish tail leafed slender palm balaka seemannii or any balaka species 

Thanks for great photos 

45 minutes ago, User00 said:

fish tail leafed slender palm balaka seemannii or any balaka species 

Thanks for great photos 

Thank you so much, this is it!!!  In davesgarden there is an image of one growing in SoCal (Dennis W.?). I wonder if it's still growing and is anyone else growing it here? Looks like a zone 11 palm, so, perfect for my garden until it gets cold. :mrlooney:

19 hours ago, Pando said:

CFUhM5F.jpg

Love the detail throughout the dof, so crisp!  Comp is terrific on both the closeups and the landscape shots!  Great color saturation too on all your photos.  Wait.... wrong website, I'm not on a photography website, I'm on Palmtalk.  Well bottom line it all holds true, fantastic photos Pando!!!  I was hoping I could pull up the metadata and look at your camera settings, but no access here.... shucks.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks Adam and Tracy! Below is some metadata for the last image. It's been resampled to 25% original size using Lanczos2 filter before uploading to imgur (which strips all metadata). Sometimes I do tiny adjustments to the images to balance the chroma and luminance, but you'd only notice if you compared them side by side. Usually the camera gets me 99.9% there.

Horizontal resolution: 350 dpi
Vertical resolution: 350 dpi
Bit depth: 24
Resolution unit: 2
Color representation: sRGB
Compressed bits/pixel: 3
Max aperture: 3.6171875
Contrast: Normal
Brightness: 9.696875
White balance: Auto

Exp. Time 1/640
F/Stop 3.5
Exp. Program Landscape Mode
Exp. Bias 0
Metering Mode Pattern
Light Source Unknown
Flash Not fired, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length 5.3
Focal Length (35 mm) -
ISO Speed 80
Orientation Normal
Dimensions 5184 x 3888
File Size 7395 KB
Edited by Pando

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

My name is Brad. I am the Conservatory Gardener here at The Huntington. It was great to meet some members of the palm society! It is a semi rare occasion when the conservatory is one of the main attractions for an outside group.

I will use this thread to post pictures of our palms and cycads. Although there are some pretty amazing photos in here already!

Edited by SluggerFish
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SluggerFish said:

Hi all!

My name is Brad. I am the Conservatory Gardener here at The Huntington. It was great to meet some members of the palm society! It is a semi rare occasion when the conservatory is one of the main attractions for an outside group.

I will use this thread to post pictures of our palms and cycads. Although there are some pretty amazing photos in here already!

Welcome Brad.

I believe we meet that day and you provided some killer "tours" for our small group!

Thanks Darold and Jim!

Jim - We did. It was you, Hammer, and Brett? I believe it was you who was showing me pictures of your stellar landscape! Let me know if you guys ever find yourself planning another trip to The Huntington.

Planning on snapping some pictures of our inherited collection of Loran's cycads. Some amazing stuff!

3 hours ago, SluggerFish said:

Thanks Darold and Jim!

Jim - We did. It was you, Hammer, and Brett? I believe it was you who was showing me pictures of your stellar landscape! Let me know if you guys ever find yourself planning another trip to The Huntington.

Planning on snapping some pictures of our inherited collection of Loran's cycads. Some amazing stuff!

I was wondering about the collection. I saw some new cycads speckled among taller grasses at the area where the new welcome center pathway met the old road at the palm/succulent gardens. There was a middleburg next to the path but most were too far away to see and buried among tall grasses. There was a group of horridus(?) below a new restaurant in the same area but it was roped off. What's the plan with the new cycads? I was saddened that they were so inaccessible to visitors while tons of ordinary Agaves were prominently planted along the same walkway. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2016, 10:51:42, Pando said:

More pics later, but to get this started, here are a few images I took today:

hQ7Bndq.jpg

FUJ25nP.jpg

2fhkyGe.jpg

zu32oy2.jpg

cNLUMyY.jpg

j7oFdto.jpg

rJmgf44.jpg

What are the two palms to the right in the fifth picture?

28 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

What are the two palms to the right in the fifth picture?

Verschaffeltia splendida, the left one is shown closeup in the second image.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Pando said:

Verschaffeltia splendida, the left one is shown closeup in the second image.

Thanks, Pando. I made my first trip there a few days ago. Just amazing!