IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus 'Manipur'

sashaeffer

Well, I guess the white colour can depend on a lot of factors. None of my princeps are pure white, rather greyish-white. But my Mount Victoria doesn't even have a hint of white. Backsides:

20170712_095847.thumb.jpg.785a2ab8197b23

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

My Trachy Mt.Victoria is developing what might be termed 'glaucous' undersides to its leaves and not as striking as the pic shows. I have to reluctantly spray it with a systemic fungicide every month or so. The pics show the dreaded, very quickly spreading, brown mottling on its older leaves.

My Trachy ukhrulensis (Manipur) has been experienced three winters planted out and has suffered no noticeable cold weather damage. This said, the lowest temp recorded here in that time was just in the region of 25°F. This palm hasn't suffered with fungal infection as has my Mt.Victoria. It's leaf undersides are almost white, something which the camera has not picked up on really. In real life, they are much paler than in T.Mt.Vic. As for the uppersides, these are a different shade of green, with a bluish tint to my eyes in Manipur.

(The first two pics are of Mt Victoria while the other three are of Manipur)

SNV37255.JPG

SNV37254.JPG

SNV37248.JPG

SNV37249.JPG

SNV37251.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

How are everyone's ukhrulensis doing? Mine has made a slow but steady recovery from its winter damage. It was an exceptional winter so I still think this palm is promising for my area.

The colour is fantastic, the photo doesn't do it justice. It almost rivals the princeps.

20170915_152009.thumb.jpg.df0ca3e25c6d4b

Edited by Flow
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Flow said:

How are everyone's ukhrulensis doing? Mine has made a slow but steady recovery from its winter damage. It was an exceptional winter so I still think this palm is promising for my area.

The colour is fantastic, the photo doesn't do it justice. It almost rivals the princeps.

20170915_152009.thumb.jpg.df0ca3e25c6d4b

Really nice and beautiful palm! I have two of thise in pot bigger one has same blue colour underside of the leafs and fuzz on the spear. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Can anyone tell me if they recognize this palm? It has similar fronds and slow growth to the ukhrulensis … could it be this? 

CCE9111E-038C-4783-B285-AF0B22881C2F.jpeg

736FFB55-FAC9-4173-8B4F-3773377FE1B7.jpeg

72FD8E95-298A-419E-A4F2-A9321742F215.jpeg

7A68A3C1-BE7D-43BE-B1EE-D11FFD21236C.jpeg

F2BBEDDF-3B22-4FF2-A193-235808875A47.jpeg

3FD553FC-EA9A-4D86-8411-13003F925DB1.jpeg

C42D73FC-4178-4083-A747-4DBB0BA0184E.jpeg

542040EB-9B3C-46B1-BD82-E9DEEC3DE4C0.jpeg

F1008498-AA3F-4740-8479-BD0B813AEFF6.jpeg

D21ED425-EAF9-46FF-AD69-E9DC2FCBFCB3.jpeg

C3604B92-4FBC-4F11-AD26-30919DE2F22E.jpeg

On 6/29/2017 at 8:54 PM, Alberto said:

I don´t know why but when I rotate the photo it cannot be uploaded anymore to this forum. My biggest manipur was photographed this way

DSCN8389.JPG

DSCN8393.JPG

DSCN8383.JPG

Wow, they really grew fast in 6 years, I can see now....

• Like 4

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

16 minutes ago, Alberto said:

Wow, they really grew fast in 6 years, I can see now....

Looks awesome! 

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

25 minutes ago, fr8train said:

Looks awesome! 

Tomorrow I' ll post some new pics.

20230519_150825.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I have 7 T. ukhrulensis planted out. I know one of this 3 planted in a "row" was a T. oreophilus. 

20230527_102615.jpg

• Like 1

This one hasn't the abundant fluffy tomentum like the others... ( conclusion: this must be the T. oreophillus...?) It's also fruiting now, one a more yellow/ orange inflorescence, while the other T. ukhrulensi's inflorescences are more yellow...(?) The two inflorescences were intermingled and I separate both and made another pictures20230527_102829.thumb.jpg.4ff1f15ea30352bbac51c490a11b0bd4.jpg

20230527_102648.jpg

20230527_103658.jpg

• Like 1

This palm that I suppose is the T. oreophillus has less tomentum and it is of a more coarse texture and a different brown collor (below in the picture) Can somebody confirm this??? Compare the two:

20230527_123820.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fr8train said:

It's so cool to see these as adult plants grown outside of their habitat. 

Yes, it is!

20230527_102741.jpg

• Like 2

@Abbii think it’s safe to say that’s not a Trachycarpus. What did you buy it as?

22 hours ago, Chester B said:

@Abbii think it’s safe to say that’s not a Trachycarpus. What did you buy it as?

It was under the trees and undergrowth in my front garden! I live in the uk so I was shocked to see it Iv been here for 15 years and never noticed it! And it’s survived the harshest weathers! I have potted it now let me show u but it’s nothing like my regular chamearops humilis either I’m stumped on what it is!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 5/27/2023 at 4:37 PM, Alberto said:

This palm that I suppose is the T. oreophillus has less tomentum and it is of a more coarse texture and a different brown collor (below in the picture) Can somebody confirm this??? Compare the two:

20230527_123820.jpg

Yes Alberto, above is ukhrulensis and below is oreophilus. Has the oreophilus flowered yet?

Yes, two are flowering. The collor of the inflorescences is more orange yellow

20230527_103011.jpg

25 minutes ago, Alberto said:

Yes, two are flowering. The collor of the inflorescences is more orange yellow

20230527_103011.jpg

Is this the oreophilus Alberto? We will assumed it’s pollinated by one of the ukhrulensis or another flowering Trachycarpus in the garden?

7 minutes ago, Vic said:

Is this the oreophilus Alberto? We will assumed it’s pollinated by one of the ukhrulensis or another flowering Trachycarpus in the garden?

This is ukhrulensis. I haven' t seen any male inflorescences on the other palms. Maybe they are hermaphrodite...(?). There was a male flowering Trachycarpus "Nova" 15 m apart, some time ago. Not sure if at the same time as the female T. oreophillus and ukhrulensis....

Correction: T. ukrulensis has yellow/orange and the supposed T.oreophillus a yellow/green inflorescences.

My male ukhrulensis is flowering right now, and the flower is very green, it does not shed pollen as readily as others in the genus, the princeps I collected pollen from the other day produces a huge amount. 

I suppose they could be hermaphrodite? I’ve never come across either of these (females) flowering. 

At what size is the trunk of the oreophilus when it flowered for the first time? Mine has around 2m of trunk. Yours look much taller.