IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Labeled Germination

Pal Meir

In the past I :blush: have stolen from other Palmtalkers :mellow: many pics of germinating seeds:greenthumb:. In this thread I present my stolen goods B) to the palmtalking public, asking for forgiveness … :innocent:

#1: From Adonidia to Chamaedorea:

573f32777fc41_Adonidiamerrillii2015-12-0

573f327bc1b02_Beccariophoenixalfredii201

573f327f0dd93_Butiayatay2016-01-05.thumb

573f328371ed7_Chamaedoreaoblongata2015-1

573f32a06417f_ChamaedoreatuerckheimiiN15

573f32aa6bfba_Chamaedoreawoodsoniana2016

• Upvote 10

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

I don’t care that you use others photographs…your posts have been very informative and inspirational to me…keep up the good work!

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Kai said:

Pondering weather to forgive or not... 

I know! Just send me a bag of grabdecor and all is forgiven! :lol:

Just kidding.

Oh and Pal, thanks to your recipe my 3 Syagrus insigne are thriving again!

Thank you so much for your mercy, Kai! :rolleyes: And I’m glad to hear that your L. insigne made it! :greenthumb::)

And of my beloved Cocos weddelliana :wub: I’ll add 2 more photos which are not stolen but honestly taken by myself: :innocent:

573f608d0d2f5_SyagrusweddellianaEmbryos.

573f6093e1ec8_SyagrusweddellianaN1301201

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, Kai said:

You're welcome Pal!

Is that a mixture of cocopeat and seramis for the wedding palm seedling?

As the seedling was planted in a small 8x9cm clay pot I added also Kokohum: 3/5 pine bark + 1/5 Seramis + 1/5 Kokohum. In case of plastic pots I wouldn’t add it.

Forgiven! ;)

I am glad that one of my photos - or at least a part of it - was chosen!:D

Besides it is very interesting to see how the germinating/root developing progress varies from species to species!

Thank you very much for summarizing -

best regards

excellent thread Pal:greenthumb:

I really like how you put text next to the seedlings showing each part of the germination that is taking place.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 1 month later...

Beautiful visuals..I wish to link this thread to  some of my germination posts.

Love,

Kris.

Edited by Kris

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Fully forgiven , i never imagine that I could be happy whike my things are stolen but I am now :)

great job Pal, very informative and inspiring ...

50 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Fully forgiven , i never imagine that I could be happy whike my things are stolen but I am now :)

great job Pal, very informative and inspiring ...

Thank you for your mercy! :rolleyes:

Today I can present four labeled germinations which are not stolen,:innocent: but a kind donation from @Kai :greenthumb::) which I could play with: :D

Allagoptera leucocalyx, Polyandrococos pectinata, Syagrus botryophora, and Syagrus (Lytocaryum) hoehnei

5772975bc7815_Allagopteraleucocalyx20160

5772976380ae8_Polyandrococospectinata201

5772976853385_Syagrusbotryophora20160627

5772976d634ae_Lytocaryumhoehnei20160627_

• Upvote 2

Thank you Pal, of course a littlebit in my own interest as well as these very informative pictures will be added to my palmy archive.

All these seedlings are now safely potted up in Pal's famous seramis mix and their roots have been comforted a bit with "palmbooster". Time will tell if the effects will turn out the same as for Pal's wonderfull L. insignes.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great pics and useful information.  I am preparing to send Pigafetta seed to a friend in another country and I am planning to remove the outer parts of the "fruit" before presenting the seeds to the agriculture reps in order to obtain the phytosanitary certificate.  Is it your experience to remove the outer covering before germinating the seed?

25 minutes ago, CLINODAVE said:

Great pics and useful information.  I am preparing to send Pigafetta seed to a friend in another country and I am planning to remove the outer parts of the "fruit" before presenting the seeds to the agriculture reps in order to obtain the phytosanitary certificate.  Is it your experience to remove the outer covering before germinating the seed?

If you ship seeds to another country you should in any case remove the pulp because of customs restrictions (quarantine etc.). — In other cases it depends on the kind of seeds (or palm species) and the location (±tropical etc.) you are living. To avoid the seeds getting mouldy it may be safer in special cases to remove the pulp. — As a concrete example I had removed all remnants of the pulp when germinating Lytocaryum itapebiense seeds.

46 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

If you ship seeds to another country you should in any case remove the pulp because of customs restrictions (quarantine etc.). — In other cases it depends on the kind of seeds (or palm species) and the location (±tropical etc.) you are living. To avoid the seeds getting mouldy it may be safer in special cases to remove the pulp. — As a concrete example I had removed all remnants of the pulp when germinating Lytocaryum itapebiense seeds.

Big mahalo for the info!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

And here you can see the first published and documented labelled germination of the new species Lytocaryum batavum MEIR 2017 :innocent:, which is endemic to the Netherlands, Latin “Batavia”, and in contrast to the very similar looking Lytocaryum weddellianum a REMOTE-ligular germinator: :P

596b847b9a7e2_N17012017-07-16IMG_9284.th

• Upvote 4

An examination of my other photos makes me come to a different conclusion: The new :P species Lytocaryum batavum appears to be a REMOTE-TUBULAR germinator as most Syagrus spp; cf. also Noblick 2017: 10.

596e45b289d46_N17012017-07-16IMG_9286a.t

596e45c0d01c4_Noblick2017p10.thumb.jpg.0

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...