IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

archontophoenix dead?

konarikcy

Hi everyone. I am Kat (Katerina) from Nicosia Cyprus supposedly USDA 10a -managed to kill my foxtail 2 yrs ago and now the top has fallen off my archontophoenix (not clear if Alexander or Cunningham). is there any chance it can still be alive.

Welcome.  Doubtful still alive, but pictures would help potentially diagnose the issue.  Foxtails are much more cold/cool sensitive than Archontophoenix.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Yes, welcome on Palmtalk, but yes, pictures would help. Thanks

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

If the top fell off I'm going to go with no, it 's not alive. Sorry. :( 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Kat!

Welcome to PT!

We can help! So good to hear from inhabitants of your lovely island!

A picture is really useful. If the thick green part of the palm that the leaves come out of fell off, leaving only the brown or gray woody trunk . . .  not good. Alas!

But you can plant another. Cyprus is a great palm place. Kings are easy to come by.

We'd like to see pictures of your garden and Cyprus as a whole.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 4 years later...

2063309876_b4f4b532bd395d96df734935617e7fad1.thumb.jpg.898850bc5eb8273d494e4626f5786eea.jpg

Hi everyone. Come a long way since I killed my foxtail and alexander palms in 2016. today my garden has 14 archontophoenix like the ones in the middle of my garden here. Not sure which they are as bought them young without labels but they are not alexanders, probably cumminhamianas or hybrids as they do well near zero. Garden has come a long way too so I am joining the group once more. I battle with temps near zero in winter but v hot summers. This yr we hit 46oC. Climate change is moving me from a hot 9b into a 10a easily I think.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Hope I'm entering pictures ok as not v good at this. I grow a variety of Cycads, dioone and encephalartus. Palms include livistona chinensis, trachycarpus both fortuni and waggies, cheamadorea, rhaphis, ravanea rivulis. As you can see from my pictures, I pack things tightly and I think this actually helps them survive in winter. My microsclimate can be felt as you come into the garden

1410658021_15b07a25c0668182718a8934acda0da91.jpg.1378f836514b86eb02402a04168eee53.jpg

88e584e839a0dfdaaa8757b129668bee[1].jpg

ddfc2d751bf5add4a6fcd5b02769a9fe[1].jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

In Cyprus, we are very limited in what palms are available. Getting them from Europe is not easy as most suppliers dont have the more tropical type. I would like to push my luck and climate boundaries  to  rhapidostylis sapida, dictyosperma alba, adonidia but difficult to get. We can import from the E U but from the States would take too long, too expensive, need health certificate and maybe customs tariffs. Does anyone else have similar problems. Kathy

I too have a Lily Pond.  When it first went in I spent about 2 years killing the HUGE toads that were attracted to the water.  They would show up to breed and made MUCH noise long into the night.  I had to kill them or I could  not sleep as the pond is right out my bedroom window.  Now one or two show up after a rain.  Biggest mistake was putting papyrus in the pond.  It has almost taken over growing and growing.  Constant cutting back or the lilys get no light.

PB040084.JPG

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

15 hours ago, konarikcy said:

In Cyprus, we are very limited in what palms are available. Getting them from Europe is not easy as most suppliers dont have the more tropical type. I would like to push my luck and climate boundaries  to  rhapidostylis sapida, dictyosperma alba, adonidia but difficult to get. We can import from the E U but from the States would take too long, too expensive, need health certificate and maybe customs tariffs. Does anyone else have similar problems. Kathy

You have an amazing garden Kat. Great job. I agree with you on the palm availabiliy in Cyprus. Here in Paphos is the same thing. But recently they started to use more royals, bismarckias and spindle palms since you can find them in some nurseries here. You could also try some of these. They should grow there in Nicosia.

• Like 2

thanksStelios. Have recently bought my first bismarkia here and dont ask what I paid for it. My garden as you can see is rather full as I have been planting since the days when plants were cheap. Now palms of a reasonable size could cost hundreds of euros. Roystoneas do't do too well in Nicosia but I have just begun with archontophoenixes (uknown cultivar but not alexander), livistona chinensis, robellinas and the bismarkia for a plot of land in Ayia Napa.   Roystonea regias should do well there and are next on the list - there used to be a guy called Antoniou outside Limassol growing these. Any better ideas in Cy for palms. What about imports - what do you do?

12 hours ago, konarikcy said:

thanksStelios. Have recently bought my first bismarkia here and dont ask what I paid for it. My garden as you can see is rather full as I have been planting since the days when plants were cheap. Now palms of a reasonable size could cost hundreds of euros. Roystoneas do't do too well in Nicosia but I have just begun with archontophoenixes (uknown cultivar but not alexander), livistona chinensis, robellinas and the bismarkia for a plot of land in Ayia Napa.   Roystonea regias should do well there and are next on the list - there used to be a guy called Antoniou outside Limassol growing these. Any better ideas in Cy for palms. What about imports - what do you do?

Sometimes I grow palms from seeds ( for  something specific I use rarepalmseeds.com). I also ordered some palms online as small seedlings but not recently. A few times I used palms.de and one time palmania.es. Here in Paphos the nurseries have better prices on palms as I checked than in Limassol or Nicosia. Sometimes you can find the same palm cheaper in one nursery than in others.

There are generally many different palms you can try here in Cyprus if you find tham on the market. In Nicosia you can also try butias, trachycarpus and brahea armata also available in nurseries.

I also try to push the limits sometimes with my coconut and my elaeis oleifera, but i will try not to over do it. Here I have some livistona chinensis and sabal palmettos from seeds that I like and are easy to grow. Some of my favorite that I ordered before but are still small are my kentiopsis oliviformis, archontophoenix purpurea, champeyronia macrocarpa and veitchia arecina. They seem to handle our winters here very good, but in the summer they need some good watering.

Edited by Stelios

Thanks Stelios.  You are milder in Paphos than here in Nicosia. We sometimes hit zero C in winter and this year Nicosia hit 46oC in july but I have  a microclimate here where we never go over 40oC. 

Have you actually grown a coconut? I tried but it died the second winter. I  I will try one in Ayia Napa as I there I am 800m from Konnos bay - apparently not less than 4oC in winter.  Have you tried the coconut-like beccariophoenix?

I have just bought a dypsis leptocheilos, veitchia arecina and champeyronia seedlings from a european supplier (Slovenia), probably the same one as you. There doesn't seem to be many European suppliers out there.  Problem is they take so long to grow into anything.  I bought archonotophoenix moylensis, tuckerii and purpurea last year as seedlings, potted them up and they have barely moved.  Have fed them etc but no luck. How big are yours now. 

How I envy all you living in the States - you have access to large cheap palms.

You are right Kat. The weather in Paphos is milder. I guess thats why the areas around the town has this big commercial banana plantations. And recently other tropical fruit production. Nicosia has hot summers. I believe the record there was in August 2010 which was around 49-50C. Thats why some palms like champeyronia or kentia will need some good shade and water to grow better. The winters shouldn't be a problem. 

My coconut is about 11 years old. I had to protect it in the winters and as it was getting bigger I protected it less and less. The last two winters it gets no protection so is no looking is best. I have 1 small beccariophoenix alfredii (second photo) and just germinated some new seeds this year. The last photo is the small elaeis oleifera that spend the last winter unprotected in the most windy place of my garden. I thought it was dead because of the spear pull but it started to regrow in the summer after I cleaned the fongus. There is a bigger one growing in Cyprus so maybe is getting hardier when is bigger.

20201019_180138.jpg

20201019_180538.jpg

20201019_180620.jpg

• Like 1

Here are some of the new palms that I am testing in our weather conditions. Champeyronia, kentiopsis and archontophoenix purpurea growing in mostly full sun cause I wanted to acclimate them. Now they will start to look more green. I hope when are bigger to handle the sun better. The veitchias seems to handle the sun a bit better. And the small pritchardia hillebrandii still likes it better in the shade.

20201019_180218.jpg

20201019_180705.jpg

20201019_180241.jpg

20201019_180150.jpg

20201019_150629.jpg

Gorgeous garden Konariksy!  Its a stunning tropical environment.  0-46C that is quite a temperature range!  Welcome to palmtalk!  Beccariophoenix Alfredii should do very well, better heat and drought tolerance than a coconut by far.  In hot direct sun, the archie purpuea might not be happy.   Give the bismarckia a lot of room(space) it will love your heat and get very large.  Avoid planting lots of shallow rooted plants that need watering close to your bismarckia if you want it to be nice and grey/white.  When I had my garden in arizona US, my (4) bismarckia had no problem with 46C and even survived 50C without notable damage.  

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Thanks  Son - beccariophoenix is high on my list and if I'm not mistaken alfredii is more cold tolerant than the windows version. Is it slow growing? Stelios where would I get a reasonable one in eu. I have found seedlings on ebay but by the time they grow into palms I will be long gone- the problem with seedlings!!

Love the pictures of your newer palms Stelio but with my limited knowledge,  I cannot distinguish them easily at this size but it looks like Paphos is the place to be in Cyprus. I dont know of anyone else growing a coconut. I think I will forego that one and stick with a beccariophoenix if I can find one. How old is your chambeyronia because I have just bought a seedling on ebay .

4 hours ago, konarikcy said:

Thanks  Son - beccariophoenix is high on my list and if I'm not mistaken alfredii is more cold tolerant than the windows version. Is it slow growing? Stelios where would I get a reasonable one in eu. I have found seedlings on ebay but by the time they grow into palms I will be long gone- the problem with seedlings!!

Kat, Alfrediis will take 5 years to hit 7-10 feet tall from a seedling.  Mine went from a 2' seedling to 25' tall in ten years but that was full sun.  I have two other that spent 5 years in part shade(half a day) and they are now 17-20' tall.  They grew notably faster the last 5 years after I cut out the overheat shade.  ALfrediis are not in shade in habitat they are in full sun above all other vegetation near sandy riverbeds.  They get deep roots and have excellent drought tolerance because of those roots.  https://www.google.com/search?q=beccariophoenix+alfredii+habitat&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS766US766&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=e9vaU5oBALw6NM%2Cy2Vv88oE-yCUsM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRwi8aAfTAABG3AjfVRwoQzjbxgxg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiR3MXGosPsAhUrpFkKHRFYCNYQ9QF6BAgEEAM#imgrc=e9vaU5oBALw6NM

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

1 hour ago, konarikcy said:

Love the pictures of your newer palms Stelio but with my limited knowledge,  I cannot distinguish them easily at this size but it looks like Paphos is the place to be in Cyprus. I dont know of anyone else growing a coconut. I think I will forego that one and stick with a beccariophoenix if I can find one. How old is your chambeyronia because I have just bought a seedling on ebay .

Oh yes my mistake. I will write the names.  All these palms on the photos I have them 2 years now.  I think they were 2 years old, that means the chambeyronia must be about 4 years old.

First is the chambeyronia.20201019_180218.thumb.jpg.c3d06d395e0c56d1956fc0d3fb7ca800.jpg

Archontophoenix purpurea

20201019_180241.thumb.jpg.cbdad0113cfcb35dfe6e16740bfad193.jpg

Kentiopsis oliviformis

20201019_180705.thumb.jpg.03bf7fb2732f6d1ffcf2470273069a9b.jpg

Pritchardia hillebrandii in the shade

20201019_150629.thumb.jpg.c0b556f6644a0018fb3b6718cefb4f18.jpg

And two of my four veitchia arecina in the pots

20201019_180150.thumb.jpg.4908eb5f899d041294046a017c955257.jpg

This is the recovering elaeis oleifera

20201019_180620.thumb.jpg.35254262c453be4c7dc5523d6096a6d1.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii. I agree that is better to plant more of these than coconuts. Is not easy to find big ones in the EU.20201019_180538.thumb.jpg.b61d0b24ecc43c05ff78a3e61db4b4ed.jpg

Btw. Konnos bay is a beautiful place. I went for a swim there a few times.

Edited by Stelios
  • Like 1

Yes Stelios, beautiful beach and we are less than 1km away high up on a slope towards the sea. We have begun building a small house on 2000m2 land but I am more excited that I will have the chance to garden starting from the beginning on a new canvas with a milder climate than Nicosia. Knowing what I know after all these yrs of gardening, maybe I wont make as many mistakes and lose as many plants. Next stage is drilling for water- keep fingers crossed. Meantime, my existing jungle in Nicosia is gradually being filled with pots I am growing for this land.

For our international friends, it is the beginning of autumn for most and here in Cyprus we are seeing the end of our flowering season. Just took a few pictures of late flowering things to share with you: a 20m high chorysia speciosa, megaskepasma blooms now in October, bougainvillea flowering ending soon and my front mixed border is finishing now.

371cd774e4e2d9ac8ce038d91d5796bd.jpg

540107156_fe74a0815af5a28c5bb561feeea8116f1.thumb.jpg.b6c4f25e956c73d6c1d063c122ea186c.jpg65619352_ad4672aea38ed8f8fc21c7480ae0d5251.thumb.jpg.1fb468e1465a4011b9b79f5065d422e4.jpg500684664_4d7b56f8ceaebacec8f3a1081ef9fe931.thumb.jpg.3e8d0d16a6a41cf6e814aceed96ade98.jpg

50bc7a18d68b16af36444b9343fea372[1].jpg

8d6daaa7534a9c42b3427342b26b9ac5[1].jpg

Yes Stelios, beautiful beach and we are less than 1km away high up on a slope towards the sea. We have begun building a small house on 2000m2 land but I am more excited that I will have the chance to garden starting from the beginning on a new canvas with a milder climate than Nicosia. Knowing what I know after all these yrs of gardening, maybe I wont make as many mistakes and lose as many plants. Next stage is drilling for water- keep fingers crossed. Meantime, my existing jungle in Nicosia is gradually being filled with pots I am growing for this land.

For our international friends, it is the beginning of autumn for most and here in Cyprus we are seeing the end of our flowering season. Just took a few pictures of late flowering things to share with you: a 20m high chorysia speciosa, megaskepasma blooms now in October, bougainvillea flowering ending soon and my front mixed border is finishing now.

371cd774e4e2d9ac8ce038d91d5796bd.jpg

540107156_fe74a0815af5a28c5bb561feeea8116f1.thumb.jpg.b6c4f25e956c73d6c1d063c122ea186c.jpg65619352_ad4672aea38ed8f8fc21c7480ae0d5251.thumb.jpg.1fb468e1465a4011b9b79f5065d422e4.jpg500684664_4d7b56f8ceaebacec8f3a1081ef9fe931.thumb.jpg.3e8d0d16a6a41cf6e814aceed96ade98.jpg

• Like 3

@konarikcygood to see you back!

Your garden is magnificent!

See my PM (private message) about free palm seeds to make it more so.

Show us more! Us addicts need all the glorious fixes we can get!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks Dave.. Seeds would be most welcome.

I am also searching for palms that are a reasonable size or that grow very quickly in Cyprus. I bought seedlings of archontophoenix moylensis as it looks better than my cumminhamiana but they are still only 6 inches tall 6 months later and archies are supposed to be fast. Also I will need detailed instructions as I always germinate seeds then they die off on transplanting.

Are you inland S California and similar climate to me? Be interested in what you would recommend?

Sacrifice some space of your garden for the construction of a south facing  cold frame. It is so constant the sunshine in the island, that you do not need actually a heated greenhouse.  Walk  the path of the coddle method instead of the tough one. Grow seedlings in the cold frame providing them with as many GrUDs as possible  (growth units per day). From 60 degrees F to 93 (top limit of wamth promoting palm growth) there is a difference of 33 degrees (or in palmier terms  growth units per hour). Multiply them by 12 (wished hours of daylight) and you get the optimal 396 growth units per day.  Hawaii growers average annually ca 250 gruds.  You will be astonished how fast palms grow, when they are not forced to suspend (considerably) growth during winter. Grow those plants this way to 25 lt root bound specimens, and then plant them out. They will need though some time to adapt to full sun exposed in the open air, but nothing like wimps grown under shade in  the heated greenhouse, with the purpose only to produce stretched plants with minimal root mass!

• Like 1

Thanks Phoenikakias. A very scientific approach which I will try to fathom out . I am a forensic science by profession. Sacrifice is really the operative word in this jungle. so I will find a place and probably come back for mor explanation/ guidelines as you are obviously an expert on this. I grow my large tropical flowering trees like delonix regia, cassia javanica, spathodea  campanulata, cassia fistula on the south facing pavement obviously unprotected in the winter and these survive although some of these have burnt branches every year which Iremove in spring.  

Thanks Katerina

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, konarikcy said:

Thanks Dave.. Seeds would be most welcome.

I am also searching for palms that are a reasonable size or that grow very quickly in Cyprus. I bought seedlings of archontophoenix moylensis as it looks better than my cumminhamiana but they are still only 6 inches tall 6 months later and archies are supposed to be fast. Also I will need detailed instructions as I always germinate seeds then they die off on transplanting.

Are you inland S California and similar climate to me? Be interested in what you would recommend?

I'm about 20 miles (25 km?) from the Pacific ocean. Freezes are rare. Based on what I've seen, my climate sounds a lot like yours.

I'd say you're getting good growth on your archies; they don't really grow too fast till they get about half a meter (18") tall. They wants lots and lots of water and shade when they're small. I know because I grow dozens from the seeds of my plants.

I generally concur with @Phoenikakias and note that he appears to be in a much colder place than you are. I have a cold frame, too, even if I call it a greenhouse.

The big problem you'll have with a lot of tropical palms is: (a) a lack of humidity, which I have too, plus; (b) a too-long winter cool season, even if it doesn't freeze, during which many palms stop growing and get problems with fungus. I generally kill Adonidias, many Veitchias, Arecas, etc.

That said, I think you can have a garden like mine, if you're insane enough. Yours is prettier with all the nice flowers!

• Like 1

@konarikcy what kind of soil do you have? If it's fast-draining, you'll need to take a different approach to watering than you can use if you have clay.

In a dry place like Cyprus (or California) that can make a difference, but not be a barrier!

• Upvote 1

my soil is not clay, fairly fast draining but not sandy. The underground is basically limestone but I have added heaps and heaps of good soil and so its reasonable. I have excellent ground water as it gets filtered on the way down by the limestone, with a well  from which everything gets watered by sprinklers. pH suprisingly only just over 7but I did modify it over the years.

Again, if I knew then what I know now, would not have planted plants that need water next to those that don't. Things therefore get moved around a lot in my garden before they find their home.

For many of my flowering trees I use manure as fertilizer once a year but have been afraid to use it on my palms- what do you think?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, konarikcy said:

For many of my flowering trees I use manure as fertilizer once a year but have been afraid to use it on my palms- what do you think?

Very wisely done or rather omitted!

• Like 1