IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Have a Seat in the Garden

Kim

After some heavy weeding the last few days, time to relax and enjoy the garden.  Imagine yourself enjoying a cool drink while seated in the chair (for scale).

Dypsis saintelucei and D. prestoniana

DSC_0140.thumb.jpg.8134c5d09a919cd89dc17

Or maybe you'd rather sit next to D. canaliculata...

DSC_0143.thumb.jpg.7e3def4fd668e52c891a3

Here's an update on the Voanioala gerardii

DSC_0151.thumb.jpg.9afe1177afafec77f1ccc

The D. robusta is a twisted, strangely tilted chunky palm pulling itself deep into the ground.

DSC_0156.thumb.jpg.de487e046439c31537bf1

Chalky D. onilahensis, very lax leaflets, so elegant...

DSC_0157.thumb.jpg.b9a529062594be5c32ed9

• Upvote 20

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Dypsis sp. 'Jurassic Park' (formerly misidentified as Tokoravina) is living up to its epithet.

DSC_0167.thumb.jpg.ddffde2c9547345f14aa9

Neoveitchia storckii along the driveway, a couple of Loxococcus rupicola to the left.

DSC_0170.thumb.jpg.17aaddbfaf974c05adc62

Alien resident from Madagascar

DSC_0168.thumb.jpg.c8dd49fd4bfd38f59c776

Hm, what do we call D. sp. 'Mealybug' these days?

DSC_0172.thumb.jpg.3cde3e52886f03b02da41DSC_0173.thumb.jpg.52f029f0a3c0cc225c853

• Upvote 18

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Planted just a week ago, two Dypsis sp. 'Orange Crush' (formerly misidentified as Pilulifera).  These replaced an overgrown D. lutescens that was encroaching on the driveway (another was removed from close to the house).

DSC_0177.thumb.jpg.18a2f7dea71ad9134f04f

Tahina spectabilis just keeps throwing out bigger and bigger fans.

DSC_0179.thumb.jpg.2e1fc38ba8293b6bbdc6d

The Clinostigma lawn (samoense), the picnic place.

DSC_0183.thumb.jpg.10eb88ad61ef08f0eb018

View beyond the lawn toward the back with more Clinostigma samoense, Licuala (have to look it up), Verschaffeltia splendida (left) and some Dictyosperma album var. furfuraceum (did I spell that wrong?)

DSC_0190.thumb.jpg.362ad2e17b4da288427fb

Over in the red garden, Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. Hookeri living up to its reputation with the new very red leaf

DSC_0192.thumb.jpg.b9e9289b5667acfdf2949

• Upvote 21

Kim Cyr

Dypsis now known as coursii

DSC_0203.thumb.jpg.0ae1763013af565602a2d

The red garden from another angle to show off the red leaf of the Calyptrocalyx albertisianus.

DSC_0207.thumb.jpg.ccc98e0ab7f62293a6320

Yes, the largest Lemurophoenix halleuxii and a closeup of the stems

DSC_0208.thumb.jpg.a65cec6da3e7b5a56b3ecDSC_0213.thumb.jpg.c943c0d9e3014ce370662

That's all for today, time to get to that cool beverage.  Need a refill?

• Upvote 19

Kim Cyr

What a garden! Thanks for sharing all the pictures, I'm completely jealous. lol

• Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

5 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

What a garden! Thanks for sharing all the pictures, I'm completely jealous. lol

WOW, me too :)

I am glad I start the day watching so wonderful pics in the morning!

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Stunning images Kim. I hope you don't mind that I edited two of your wonderful images to balance the colors and bring out these wonderful details. :)

DSC_0190_edited.thumb.jpg.b1de0a489b0d86

DSC_0207_edited.thumb.jpg.e1788ffd78042b

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 6

Kim,

Fabulous palms, beautifully designed garden, and hard work defeating those nasty weeds.

• Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Absolutely sensational !!!

• Upvote 2

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Very nice, all the hard work shows, a lot of effort goes into keeping a garden as nice as that.

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Wow Kim, A drool worthy garden of epic wonders!

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Totally rad pics there Kim, love it all!! Your Jurassic park possibly my fave amongst them but all are A1!!! Congrats!!

• Upvote 1

Sensational Kim. Would be perfect sitting back in your chair with a cold beer.

• Upvote 1

Geeze Kim, looks fantastic! Nothing like growing palms in Hawaii.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Kim,

Everything looks stunning!

So satisfying too knowing it is your work and planning transforming what likely started out as an ordinary plot of land.

My palms look miniature in comparison! 

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Spectacular garden... the only thing that needs an upgrade now is the chair.  You need more of a throne for your garden for a queen; although I would be happy sitting on a beach towel on the ground in any of those photos.  I can only dream that I could grow such beautiful specimens in my garden, but you inspire to try!

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Hey, I recognize some of those palms! :) Come to think of it, I recognize ALL of them! :lol: And seems to me you should have asked the neighbor to take the photos so you could have relaxed in the chair with a well deserved Mai tai! Would have been totally appropriate! B)

Bo-Göran

Oh, great job with the weeds... :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

9 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

Totally rad pics there Kim, love it all!! Your Jurassic park possibly my fave amongst them but all are A1!!! Congrats!!

This reminds me Kim. Can you see much of a difference between the Jarassic Park and the Prestoniana. Its hard for me to see a difference.

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Kim....your garden is really becoming a wonderful collection of some of the rarest palms we all love and enjoy. I love the size that your Clinostigma are right now. Not too small, and not 60' where you have to hurt your neck looking up. If they could only stay about that height. Lol. Also your Mealy bug palms look great! Dypsis mananjarensis. This does very well for us here in the ground. I hope your creating lots of trails and sitting areas, this adds so much charm to the garden. See ya in Borneo....

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Good question, Bill.  I had to go out and look critically to find defining differences, and they are slight.  For one, the bulging base of the crownshaft is noticeably longer on the D. prestoniana -- however, this may be a function of the differing ages of my two palms, the prestoniana being several years ahead of the Jurassic Park in my garden. (By the way, I am told by a reliable source that Jurassic Park is now D. pilulifera -- can't imagine how Orange Crush and Jurassic Park would have been confused, but there you go.)  Getting back to the question, upon close inspection, it is the ranking of the leaflets along the stem that is most notably different.  D. prestoniana has grouped leaflets, though very irregularly -- 4, then 2 or 3, maybe 4 again, but there are "blank" spaces between the grouped leaflets along the stem.  The Jurassic Park doesn't have the obvious blank spaces and the leaflets, while still somewhat irregular in arrangement, are not in such obvious groups.  In spite of that, the overall appearance of Jurassic Park, at least at this stage, is a "messier" look, while D. prestoniana has a neater, more balanced look to the palm overall. That can change over time, so who knows?  And no flowers or fruit from my palms to compare yet, there could be huge differences -- or not. Presumably those observations are available somewhere.

I recommend you come make your own observations in person!  :)

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Thanks everyone for all the very generous praise.  Any PalmTalker who makes the trek to Hawaii is welcome to visit the garden for a tour and a refreshing beverage!

Cindy is correct, there was not much to see when I first bought the house in December 2009, just a tangle of impenetrable weeds, junk trees and vines.  The sections were carved out a little at a time -- the backhoe operator has been here maybe four or five times?  The design is conceived as a series of garden rooms connected by wide paths with open spaces alternating with denser plantings, more or less.  The design evolves over time.  These photos show only about 50% of the first acre.  The second acre remains mostly wild. At the last formal count in July 2015, there were 315 palms of 99 species in the garden, but that has since been exceeded. And Cindy, your garden will soon have many palms overhead, too.  Isn't it fun playing in the dirt? 

Bo: my photographer neighbor seems to be not at home!  Maybe you know something about that? ^_^

Pando: you can rebalance my photos any old time. B)

Tracy, a throne would be much too fine for this gardener -- when I take a break at the end of the day, I am the image of a filthy farmgirl. :D

Jeff, if you know how to slow down a Clinostigma, let me know! :P  There are paths in the garden, but only the tea house for seating so far.  Weather here is hell on furnishings, I'll have to get stone benches or something.  I'm open to suggestions!  My only garden art is my stone elephant, affectionately known as Chitwan, and he has grown a black patina from exposure.  Boulders seem to be the only garden ornaments that are sufficiently durable to stand up to the elements, though I am experimenting with wind chimes on the lanai. :rolleyes:

DSC_0137.thumb.jpg.2a717cca7815751e9f4ee

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Kim, 

I LOVE your pale green chair, it seems to be so inviting in so many places of your paradise.

Lucky you if you need to know how to slow down a Clinostigma, I still wonder how I can ask them to grow in Sri Lanka. :)

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Wow Kim. What a transformation. Looks awesome. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Typing praise through the drool on the keyboard . . .

squish squish etc.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks ever so much for posting Kim it's been quite a dry spell on palm talk for us more tropical folks. Your garden is a WINNER:greenthumb::greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Dear Kim,

absolutely awesome photos and a great inspiration for all of us!

Thank you very much for sharing those pictures!

Among all of them I have an absolute favorite one -

the Clinostigma Garden! It is too nice to be real...

best regards

• Upvote 1

Wow Kim!  The progress and growth in your garden has been phenomenal.  Makes all of us Cali guys jealous.  All you hard work is really starting to pay off!

• Upvote 1