IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A tempting offer

Pip

7 minutes ago, empireo22 said:

Great Job and great final spot! the soil there looks amazing. do you know how often the previous owner watered the palm?

The palm was very tiny the first time I saw it 14 years ago. It had been planted inside a pergola and was watered regularly even had a small water feature next to it. It grew and grew meanwhile owners lives changed and needed an outdoor area for their growing family to gather so the pergola was removed and a new bigger structure was built. The palm became forgotten only getting watered if the lawn did. For the last few years it hasn't received any deliberate irrigation. What was interesting when I dug the trench around the palm was that the soil became wetter the deeper I got. I'm not sure if it was due to the recent heavy rain or if there was a slow leak from a pipe. The house is near the bottom of a gentle hill so the wet soil could just be due to topography. By chance I believe this palm has been given the care it required at each stage of its life. Shade and shelter when really small, more hot sun when it grew bigger.

• Upvote 1

Great Job, Pip !

Will you cut and remove some leaves in order to help the plant to recover? I think it helps. :D

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

3 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Great Job, Pip !

Will you cut and remove some leaves in order to help the plant to recover? I think it helps. :D

Yes I probably will, there are damaged leaves as a result of the move that need to come off as well.. The temperature here is close to as cool as it gets and have another 6 to 8 weeks of it ahead, fingers crossed for some decent rain too,  so not sure just how much transpiration the palm will do. 

Well done Pip. It looks great. I'd just cut it's damaged leaves off etc and give it plenty of water. In the cool weather we are having here down in the south it won't be transpiring a heap at the moment. Just keep that rootball well watered and in no time it will take off again. Golden canes are tough.

I've got a Dypsis decipiens I want to dig from my front yard in Perth soon. It's nowhere near as big as your palm and I'll use an engine crane to lift it out and onto my trailer. I'll have to wrap it up for the 400km trip though. It's all great fun. :)

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Pip,

Good work and great position, now beauty is in the eye of the beerholder and you have a couple of choices of how you want the clump to look.

I am going  to make a case for you cleaning that clump out a lot.  

This is not a continuing job, it actually simplifies the maintenance of it over time. If cleaned out to only about 3 to 6 stems;

1. it will allow the palm to grow taller and thicker provideing canopy for other plants. (bromeliads chamaedorea.)  

2. it will provide less habitat for pests like molluscs (snails and slugs), rodents (rats mice and rabbits), reptiles (blacks and browns), Mammals (drop bears, koalas and antichinas and foxes)  

3. you can see through it, to other plants and to people in bikinis in the pool , and children.

4. a smallish yard will not seem so closed in.

5, you can grow other things up it or on the fatter less numerous stems. vines, broms,orchids

6. it won't look so messy

So I suggest that you give the Mrs. a couple of days to recover and get her back out there.

Now see what I mean with these two clumps of 4 poles each.

P6200002.thumb.JPG.ff337429b71a77df6d778

P6200003.thumb.JPG.1f886b356d771975c9631 

That Aechmea gamosepala is needing thinning out again, but the diversity beneath the palms would not be possible if they were not thinned. 

Cheers

• Upvote 4

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

Well done Pip. It looks great. I'd just cut it's damaged leaves off etc and give it plenty of water. In the cool weather we are having here down in the south it won't be transpiring a heap at the moment. Just keep that rootball well watered and in no time it will take off again. Golden canes are tough.

I've got a Dypsis decipiens I want to dig from my front yard in Perth soon. It's nowhere near as big as your palm and I'll use an engine crane to lift it out and onto my trailer. I'll have to wrap it up for the 400km trip though. It's all great fun. :)

Moving a Dypsis decipiens sounds like fun. Thanks to Peter G I have 3 D. decipiens seedlings (identified ar first as D. ambositrae) they look to be growing well and I'm looking forward to planting them out when they are a bit bigger. 

18 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

Pip,

Good work and great position, now beauty is in the eye of the beerholder and you have a couple of choices of how you want the clump to look.

I am going  to make a case for you cleaning that clump out a lot.  

This is not a continuing job, it actually simplifies the maintenance of it over time. If cleaned out to only about 3 to 6 stems;

1. it will allow the palm to grow taller and thicker provideing canopy for other plants. (bromeliads chamaedorea.)  

2. it will provide less habitat for pests like molluscs (snails and slugs), rodents (rats mice and rabbits), reptiles (blacks and browns), Mammals (drop bears, koalas and antichinas and foxes)  

3. you can see through it, to other plants and to people in bikinis in the pool , and children.

4. a smallish yard will not seem so closed in.

5, you can grow other things up it or on the fatter less numerous stems. vines, broms,orchids

6. it won't look so messy

So I suggest that you give the Mrs. a couple of days to recover and get her back out there.

Now see what I mean with these two clumps of 4 poles each.

P6200002.thumb.JPG.ff337429b71a77df6d778

P6200003.thumb.JPG.1f886b356d771975c9631 

That Aechmea gamosepala is needing thinning out again, but the diversity beneath the palms would not be possible if they were not thinned. 

Cheers

Thanks Steve, that is something to think about. I actually like the clump as it is and have already been banned from even concidering cutting more than damaged leaves off the plant. The pool can be seen from the second story deck where the adults enjoy the veiws of the grape vines while drinking wine.

Fair enough, it does gook good like that to.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

Today winter has arrived. So glad that we moved that palm over the weekend. My garden has turn into a swamp over night. The soaking rain has just stopped now.

• Upvote 1

On 21 June 2016 8:35:08 AM, Pip said:

Today winter has arrived. So glad that we moved that palm over the weekend. My garden has turn into a swamp over night. The soaking rain has just stopped now.

Talk about winter rains. We've had double what we had last year to this point (driest year on record last year) but we are ahead of average. My place has standing water everywhere. I'm in the process of installing drains to run water back into the dams etc. You walk on the lawn and your foot goes into a cm of water. Real squelchy conditions. I was speaking to a friend who works on a farm about 80km east of here and they've had so much rain, they had to check their wheat crop they planted with a jet ski!!!

When I plant my Dypsis decipiens I think I'll choose a spot on top of the existing soil level and mound extra soil above existing level around the root ball. I planted about 14 small ones on a steep mound back in December. I'm so glad I did or they'd be swimming right now.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 1 month later...

I haven't really looked at my monster Dypsis lutescens for a while now that the weather partern is beginning to change with more sun about, i thought it was time for an inspection. I have been prepared for some degree of damage to the palm due to not having the best equipment and that it was my first try at moving such a large plant. On inspection I found atleast two trunks have gone a bit floppy and the new leaves that were opening at the time of the transplant are very thrashed looking. At this point I haven't cut anything off. All I did for today was give the palm a big soak with the hose and drink of seaweed solution. I'll see how it reacts to that over the next few days and maybe think about removing a few trunks.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pip said:

I haven't really looked at my monster Dypsis lutescens for a while now that the weather partern is beginning to change with more sun about, i thought it was time for an inspection. I have been prepared for some degree of damage to the palm due to not having the best equipment and that it was my first try at moving such a large plant. On inspection I found atleast two trunks have gone a bit floppy and the new leaves that were opening at the time of the transplant are very thrashed looking. At this point I haven't cut anything off. All I did for today was give the palm a big soak with the hose and drink of seaweed solution. I'll see how it reacts to that over the next few days and maybe think about removing a few trunks.

You'd better not! It is not advisable to disturb balance during reestablishing process.

9 hours ago, Pip said:

Pip , I found Them very happy with transplant , I have done few times from pot to garden and then the opposite and it took it as if nothing happened , of course mine was very small compare to yours but I am sure yours will be fine in near future ... Best luck ...

14 hours ago, Pip said:

I haven't really looked at my monster Dypsis lutescens for a while now that the weather partern is beginning to change with more sun about, i thought it was time for an inspection

Don't forget to take photos of it now so you can look back someday when its fully established and fully appreciate what it took to get it to this status.  You have done a great job documenting the entire process to date Pip!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 5/16/2016, 7:25:33, Mohsen said:

an example of transplanting a palm ( Jubaea) properly...how much it cost I dont know ;)

http://www.marriedtoplants.com/palms/transplanting-jubaea-chilensis-chilean-wine-palm/

Reading the blog right now, very interesting and well elaborated.

BTW, sorry for the off topic. Pip, good job mate.

Rio_Grande.gif

It seems like I have read the plant right and it looks better today after yesterday's deep soaking and seaweed. But I fear that the ropes have caused bruising to two of the younger trunks and they seem to be leaning an a very unpleasing way.

20160812_145018.thumb.jpg.385fd8272b0442

20160812_145054.thumb.jpg.41b9ab84a71d1b

20160812_150311.thumb.jpg.c239f78a0fe3cf

20160812_150325.thumb.jpg.79bcb07f1a4161

20160812_150336.thumb.jpg.e1533f94b27248

• Upvote 3

On 5/20/2016, 12:58:41, Pip said:

Due to the powerlines I thought that the palm could go closer to the citrus trees. The Dracaena draco will most likely need to moved.20160520_124632.thumb.jpg.eefa5ff841396f

I think your dogs are watching you!

• Upvote 2

Rio_Grande.gif

Pip, because the roots were cut it will have a high water need compared to before even in winter. Keep it on the moist side. You may lose a couple of trunks but once it shoots out new roots and finds your soil it will be OK.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Well it has been nine months since the move a few nice leaves have been pushed out and not lost any of the major trunks despite one trunk having a long verticle crack. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Pip said:

Well it has been nine months since the move a few nice leaves have been pushed out and not lost any of the major trunks despite one trunk having a long verticle crack. 

And, where are the photos?:D

• Upvote 1

Nine months post transplant 

20170321_101916.thumb.jpg.030a3dceb66d14

20170321_101941.thumb.jpg.d6ecd67e5f5afd

20170321_102005.thumb.jpg.deddbabfc05049

20170321_103100.thumb.jpg.9842763cbacc67

20170321_103118.thumb.jpg.bd1bde166b83ae

20170321_103422.thumb.jpg.5347f6a0de7e70

20170321_103429.thumb.jpg.85ddadb537f816

And finally that trunk with the verticle crack, I may remove this trunk in the future.

20170321_103243.thumb.jpg.7a6f3ccbb5f33f

• Upvote 8

Great work!

It's recovering nicely!

Considering how big it is, nice catch!

Maybe cut the dead leaves off?

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Looks good pip,

I hope I don't have to wait 15 years for mine to get to that size.

I will also take note of the fine planting location of mine in regards to the possible size these things can get to.

• Upvote 1

I know of two in Cardiff, CA ready for removal.

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Looking good,

I think that a perfect garden is a combination of plants and animals.

And you have great biodiversity providing habitat for, well, everything.

Perfect.

Oh I wouldn't worry about the crack, I would just paint it green. :)

• Upvote 3

Cheers Steve

Looking good. I would pile a good wheel barrow load of sheep manure at its base spread like a thick mulch and watch it explode next summer. It's there to stay. Well done.:)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really happy with this palm progress. This week I've been informed about plans for when our youngest Borzoi bitch welps next year. The area that this palm is in will be the puppies initial exercise yard, that means I won't be planting anything precious or really tiny. I'll just look after what is there at the moment and maybe remove some weeds and cut the grass.

• Upvote 3

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017‎ ‎11‎:‎46‎:‎18‎, BS Man about Palms said:

I know of two in Cardiff, CA ready for removal.

How big are they? Current light acclimation? Uh...asking for a friend...

PM CardiffPalmNut for details.. probably 9-10' tall, root pruned some time back.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!