IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

7 Gal. Windmill Palm on Zone 7a/7b Boarder Questions

PalmTreeDude

I have a 7 Gal. Windmill Palm I will be planting this weekend and I am on the border of zone 7a/7b. Do you think it will need protection once established? 

PalmTreeDude

1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I have a 7 Gal. Windmill Palm I will be planting this weekend and I am on the border of zone 7a/7b. Do you think it will need protection once established? 

I'd think you'd certainly need to give it some protection for the first few years until it gets established. Although I'm sure it would survive fine, you want to give it a strong start in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Use christmas lights and burlap sacks.  never be like the virginia beach people who just put a slab o' dirt on the palms and expect it to survive the elements.

I've never protected mine..make sure you dig a nice hole enriching your soil if needed to give it optimum conditions. I would just mulch heavily around the roots before winter arrives.. As long as the roots don't freeze there's not much to worry.

cheers

Cold temps on the low end of your 7a/7b will fry fronds. Amount of damage depends on the cold duration. As long as the center growth point isn't killed, it should re-grow. I have seen some in that zone range die after cold while others survived.

Cheers, Barrie.

7g size will still spear pull easily. try to keep frozen precipitation out of the crown.

Ok, thank you. And @Mr.SamuraiSword I have friends in VA beach who got palms small (Sabal Palmetto) and planted them in early Spring and never protected them ever. They never get a frond burnt on them either. They have been in ground for about 5 years now. They are about 1 mile inland so they don't get the brutal winds but they still get the warm costal climate.

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Typo

PalmTreeDude