IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Amazon Life

amazondk

Our supplier Fernando Ross's Teak plantation.  

MMRossTeakplantation.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

The highway from Manaus to Boa Vista is being repaired, but is still a bit rough.  But, it has improved a lot since October when I starte do drive the route.  The road repairs continue, but you have to be real alert as the road signs are few and before you know it you are in the middle of a problem.

Road repair.  They put pieces of wood on the road to make sure you don't drive on repaired road before it is ready.

BR174constrution-1.jpg

BR174construction2-1.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The first 100 kms on the Amazonas side of the Indian Reservation are a real adventure.  The road has been in repair now for about 4 years and not much has happened.

Holes on the road.

HolesonBR174AM.jpg

Trucks are the main traffic on the highway and since their weight is not too controlled contribute to the problem.

TruckonBR174AM.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

This sheep is the mascot of the Bus Terminal restaurant in Rorainoplis.  There was another one but a taxi ran over him and unfortunately he was killed.  This little female is his replacement.  

DinnermatesRodoviariaRoraipa.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I haven't figured out what palm species these are, maybe someone coud help.

NoIDpalm.jpg

R.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

In Amazonas state I found some wild honey and cupuçu fruits.  I bought a bottle of honey and a bunch of fruit to take home

WildhoneyandCupuau.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

As I got closer to Manaus the rain hit.

RainontheroadBR174AM.jpg

Rain clouds over Manaus as I got close.

RainyskiesoverManaus.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(Zac in NC @ Apr. 20 2007,21:38)

Ok, whats the scientific name on cupuçu? I can't seem to find much I can understand on google.

Zac

Sorry Zac, I got the name wrong, typo, it is cupuaçu, it is Theobroma Grandiflorum.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Finally arrival at the outskirts of Manaus.

BacktoManaus.jpg

And, for better or worse back in traffic again.  The end of two weeks on the road.  Finally I can sleep in my own bed again.

BackinManaus.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Apr. 20 2007,21:43)

Ok, whats the scientific name on cupuçu? I can't seem to find much I can understand on google.

Zac

Sorry Zac, I got the name wrong, typo, it is cupuaçu, it is Theobroma Grandiflorum.

dk

Oh ok. Can you get a shot of the insides of that one when you eat them? I knew there were other Theobromas but I didn't recognize that one. Thanks Don.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Zac,

I will do my best.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Wow, looks like quite an adventure! Lots of great photos and I just love some of those photos with a dramatic sky in the background!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks Bo,

It is becoming a regular adventure.  I am off again on Thursday next week in the same direction. On the way home I really smacked a hole while in the Indian Reserveration and wrecked one of my brand new front tires.  But, that is part of the risk I guess.  There were quite a few inidans along the road in the reservation this time.  There are signs all over saying not to stop and not take pictures so I don't.  It is interesting that the women wear no shirts and go bare brested but most of the men do not.  There are 1,400 inhabitants in the reservaton, and it is an enormous chunk of land.  It takes 1 1/2 hours to drive through.  Aside from the holes in the road the trip is an enjoyable one.  There is not too much taffic and the scenery is great.  Now that I am getting to know the road better it is also easier to drive.  I am also getting to know a lot more people in the area which makes things nice.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(aussiearoids @ Apr. 20 2007,08:21)

Don , fantastic pics mate , really enjoying them .

thanks a lot ..WOW your smack bang in the middle of the Amazon .. I did not realize how big Brazil really is !!

Michael,

I think a lot of people don't really realize how big Brazil is.  It is bigger than the USA without Alaska.  And, the Amazon region is 60 percent of the land area.  If you take the state where I live, Amazonas, alone it is has the second largest tropical forest in the world.  The largest tropical forest is the Brazilian Amazon which Amazonas is a large part of.  I am glad you enjoyed the photo tour.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don

I should have paid more attention to my geography classes way back in high school!  Thank you for posting that map.   Your photo journal is quite interesting.  Seeing real tropical forests must be quite exciting.  And stepping across the equator line ...well...who would've thought a real line??!!   Very cool.    Thanks for the journey!

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

(amazondk @ Apr. 20 2007,21:43)

Zac

dk

So it is a relative of the chocolate tree Theobroma cacoa. I have heard about it , supposed to be an attractive tree and delicous fruit .  

Don , in front of the plate of food a few posts back is a small coke bottle with what looks like tons of chillis floating in an orange liquid .. what is it ??

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Michael,

The cupuaçu is a nice tree, doesn't too large and produces plenty of fruit.  That is if your climate will grow it.  It is very cold sensitive as far as I know.  You can make something similar to chocolate from the seeds.  The pulp is what is used though for making juices, candies, puddings, pies and the like.  As to the peppers and the yellow liquid.  The peppers are floating in tucupi which a fermented derivative of manioc.  As far as I know it is indian food that pre dated the Europeans.  I thought I might have a picture of a tree, but I don't I will take one and put it on the non palm board.

Cindy,

They say you weigh less when you are on the line of the equator.  I do not know if this is true or not, and I do not normally travel with a scale.  I think the line is pretty neat as well.  It is a shame that the monument is not maintained better.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don(Quixote) - as usual, a great show; you always zero in on what interests me most. Namely, food, palms, women, and enterprise (not necessarily in that order).

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Wow Don, what can I say other than these pictures of your trip from Manaus to Boa Vista were super enjoyable.  Keep that camera with you wherever you go so you can show us more of that beautiful part of the world.  Showing scenes of the people, landscapes, water, sky, food, plants (especially any palms, of course), buildings animals and everything else are very interesting  Keep them coming!

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few additions to the trip that I took this week while coming home from the latest one.  At the entrance to the Indian reservation on both sides is this Bill Board with a count of dead animals due to traffic fatalities.  I don't know if they have this right.  But, someone must count them.

And, some bare breasted indian maidens.  I took this shot with my cell phone out of the windshield of my car.  They were busy at work.  The women wear these blue skirts and no tops, the guys normally wear shirts.  I really don't know why the difference.

dk

reservaanimiais.jpg

2indiasreserva.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Awesome photos. I really wish I could live in as rustic as that. Just a random question, are those rocks in the river granite? Are they deposited there or are there many outcroppings in the flatlands? I would have guessed most of that area to be sedimentary. Do the palms that look like dwarf looking Euterpe's or prestoea's ever develope trunks??

I'm always up for learning new things!

Kyle,

The rocks in the river are granitic from what I can tell.  I really don't know as much as I would like to about the geology in the area, but their are mountains with granitic rock.  I believe this is an extension of the areas up to the Guyana shield north of here.  Around Manaus there is more sedimentary rock.  

Are you referring to the palm in post 45?  I believe now that these are Elaeis oleifera.  I have not seen any trees very tall.  I think they are nice looking palms though.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Great pictures and thoughts.  Having lived in a foreign country for a year, I can appreciate both what it takes and how you feel.  I was on the other side of the river in Guyana many years ago.  There wasn't a bridge then, just boats to take you across.   You are fortunate to live in a place so beautiful and un-americanized.  If I had my druthers, I would be in a place like that as well.  I could take my horses and go today if I could get my husband to leave!  I could take my horses, couldn't I??? ???

Betty and I may have to visit you one day.  She and I both are retiring in the next few months and will have more time to travel for fun.

Keep posting pictures for us!  I love them!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Kitty,

I am glad you like the story line.  I am going to do some more on everyday life as time goes on.  I will be in Florida in the next week, my youngest son is graduating from High School in Fort Lauderale.  Living here has its challanges and good as well as bad sides.  But, I have been here so long that it is more home than anywhere else by now.  As to your horses I am sure you could bring them.  They ship horses in and out of Brazil all the time.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Great pictures, as always Don.

I was going to guess Elaeis oleifera for the palms in post # 45 too, but I think you said you haven't seen much bigger ones...I've been trying to germinate some seeds of this species but they haven't moved yet...

I think that area near RR/AM border may have some Barcella odora near the flooded areas too. My book mentions several nice Geonomas, Don. Just be careful with hungry Anacondas please...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Don,

I understand the challenges of living outside the states.  One of the hardest things for me was the fact that there weren't really any grocery stores.  People went to market every day or so.  Many homes didn't have refrigerators so you ad to buy only what you could use.  But the freshness of the food was worth it!  If you have ever had a pineapple that ripened on the plant instead of in transit, you will know what I mean!  When I moved back to the states, the fruits and vegetables was one of the things I missed the most.  And the wonderful coffee.  And the great people.  And the climate.

Is this your last son?  I remember meeting them at your house.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL