IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Medemia Argun

Hal

Just got 3 seedlings.  It will be interesting to see what happens with them.  Hopefully a male and 2 females :)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 11 months later...

Still growing like a crazy thing and not yet 4  years old, Ive planted another 4 around  the land, one underneath this one, flowers  profusely now in fact constantly, shoe is  size 13 U.S for trunk scale

20180415_111249.jpg

20180415_111338.jpg

• Upvote 8

These have proven to be as leaf hardy as Hyphaene Coraicea FYI for anyone looking to try them out.

11 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

These have proven to be as leaf hardy as Hyphaene Coraicea FYI for anyone looking to try them out.

Do you still sell Medemia?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Yea, they have done so well I just put another 100-ish seed down to germinate another crop.  They would have zero issues even in North Lakeland as I remember seeing a few H. Coriacea around town there. I think there were a few on peach Tree street in a park next to a small lake.

@TexasColdHardyPalms Very promising!  I lost my seedlings, but I've never been great at taking care of things in pots.  Once it's in the ground I'm good to go.  I'll order off of you when I have a bed ready for them. 

Lakeland, FL

I keep losing mine to rot in the greenhouse.  What temp do we think a small guy will take?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I would keep them at 60° or warmer until they are at least 3 years old. My seedlings like to be kept very dry. This species is the most drought tolerant palm I've ever grown. Mine will be 2 years old this summer. I might expose some of them to colder conditions in 2019.

Good luck with yours Ben!

Hi 83°, Lo 49°

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

All of my one year old plants saw 21 this year inside a cold frame. They did burn as did hyphaene, and latania. Vetchia all died, most bismarckia only had very minor tip burn. 

These are really cool looking palms. Can't believe how fast they grow. I'm going to have to try one again. Nothing but bad luck for me so far. Everytime they rot for me even in the heat we get out here.

What's the secret to get these growing from seed? I have failed miserably with 12 germinated seeds. Germinating in a baggy works well, but every time I pot them up the root just rots and disappears. I've tried sand, pumice, vermiculite mixtures in 14" deep tree pots. I've tried putting them outside, leaving them in a dark warm place in my house, and on a heating pad. I have tried letting them dry out a little bit, others with just tiny amounts of water, and a few kept slightly damp. Nothing has worked for me. @TexasColdHardyPalms, I will buy seedlings from you if you tell me your secret!  I have had tremendous success with Hyphaene thebaica. I'm 3 for 3 with those. Growing conditions may be similar for medemia and hyphaene, but germination is another story completely.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DesertCoconut said:

What's the secret to get these growing from seed? I have failed miserably with 12 germinated seeds. Germinating in a baggy works well, but every time I pot them up the root just rots and disappears. I've tried sand, pumice, vermiculite mixtures in 14" deep tree pots. I've tried putting them outside, leaving them in a dark warm place in my house, and on a heating pad. I have tried letting them dry out a little bit, others with just tiny amounts of water, and a few kept slightly damp. Nothing has worked for me. @TexasColdHardyPalms, I will buy seedlings from you if you tell me your secret!  I have had tremendous success with Hyphaene thebaica. I'm 3 for 3 with those. Growing conditions may be similar for medemia and hyphaene, but germination is another story completely.

Since your climate is almost like mine, my method should work for you:

Soil - 80-90% coir, 10-20% pumice

Water only when 1-2 inches are dry on the surface

Sun: 70 - 100 %

Temperatures: Low not below 60° F at night and at least 70° warmth every day when young

Good luck!

Hi 92°, Lo 51° - ultra dry (< 5% humidity)

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I finally have seedlings!  I got home from vacation yesterday to find 2 little sprouts and roots coming out the bottom of the 14" deep pots! I also planted one of these in my front yard in blazing hot AZ sun a couple of weeks ago. I have my fingers crossed for that one!

20180702_115421a.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have one that's been in ground for almost a year and a half in full sun and it's loving it! Not the fastest grower but looks nice, and has a great blue coloring :drool:

7 minutes ago, Palmcycasnut said:

I have one that's been in ground for almost a year and a half in full sun and it's loving it! Not the fastest grower but looks nice, and has a great blue coloring :drool:

I would love to see. Pics?

Anyone growing these out here?  I have a seedling, that's done absolutely nothing.  I think that it's put out like 2 leaves, in 2 years, and I haven't seen any movement in forever.  I've tried a number of spots, from shade, to sun.  Heat?

Like i said not the fastest but definitely not the slowest. I think maybe its only been a year since i put it in the ground. Getting some shade finally at this time of day. 

20180702_173832.jpg

• Upvote 3

Thanks. Nice photos! I have heard they are fast growers in the dry heat. Maybe they pick up speed later? From what I found around the web they have a growth rate comparable to bismarckia and hyphaene. At any rate, it will be fun to watch!

On 7/3/2018, 9:15:37, DesertCoconut said:

Thanks. Nice photos! I have heard they are fast growers in the dry heat. Maybe they pick up speed later? From what I found around the web they have a growth rate comparable to bismarckia and hyphaene. At any rate, it will be fun to watch!

mine are watered daily and its humid heat in Thailand

• 1 year later...
On 7/4/2018 at 2:29 AM, Tingtongthai said:

mine are watered daily and its humid heat in Thailand

Any photos of them now? Thanks

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this thread for 4 reasons:

1. Did anyone ever figure out where the thread creator (Hal) was growing that healthy looking palm in Phoenix? The railroad track and asphalt parking lot suggests an       industrial area.

2. Does the incredible success of @Tingtongthai prove it doesn't need a dry and hot climate?

3. Can we believe @TexasColdHardyPalms assertion ('18):
   "All of my one year old plants saw 21 this year inside a cold frame.
   They did burn as did hyphaene, and latania."?
   Did his survive until the Texas '21 February weather disaster?

4. Since I transplanted my remaining seedlings to 2 gallon pots today,  I'd like to hear from any thread readers for their feedback (especially desert growers).

Hi 104˚, Lo 79˚

Edited by Tom in Tucson

Here's my double medemia planted from seed directly in the ground in Spring of 2019. They are in full Phoenix, AZ sun. I lost all of my potted specimens. I think being in the warm ground surrounded by the rock is what got these through the winter. The record breaking heat of last summer did not seem to phase them at all. In fact, I saw a huge growth spurt during the hottest weeks. I turn off the drip completely when overnight temps dip into the 50s and turn back on when they get back up to the 60s. I think I have given up on trying to grow them in pots. I tried every method I could to keep them alive. I brought them inside during cold nights. I tried several different soil mixes and watering regiments. I've lost at least 20 potted specimens. I even tried splitting the pots and planting the whole thing without disturbing any roots. When that one died, I planted a seed directly into that buried pot. I gave it a few weeks. After seeing nothing I planted a second seed. Then they both popped up and that's why it's now a double.

20210716_194047.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, DesertCoconut said:

Here's my double medemia planted from seed directly in the ground in Spring of 2019. They are in full Phoenix, AZ sun. I lost all of my potted specimens. I think being in the warm ground surrounded by the rock is what got these through the winter. The record breaking heat of last summer did not seem to phase them at all. In fact, I saw a huge growth spurt during the hottest weeks. I turn off the drip completely when overnight temps dip into the 50s and turn back on when they get back up to the 60s. I think I have given up on trying to grow them in pots. I tried every method I could to keep them alive. I brought them inside during cold nights. I tried several different soil mixes and watering regiments. I've lost at least 20 potted specimens. I even tried splitting the pots and planting the whole thing without disturbing any roots. When that one died, I planted a seed directly into that buried pot. I gave it a few weeks. After seeing nothing I planted a second seed. Then they both popped up and that's why it's now a double.

20210716_194047.jpg

Lots of valuable observations!

I may try that ground germination method the next time I start some seeds. I broke a lot of roots when separating 2 community pots yesterday, but the one with 6 plants looked the healthiest of all of my seedlings. Too bad these probably lost too many roots to survive for long. I should have re-potted a couple of years ago.

Good luck with yours!

Hi 99˚, Lo 74˚

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I was working in my front yard today and I noticed that I should probably give my Medemia its first major trim. Then I saw the drip head was dry while everything else in the yard was wet. Apparently I forgot to turn it back on after winter. We had a really cold and wet winter but no rain since early March. I guess I've tested the drought tolerance! It's turning out to be a perfect specimen for our desert conditions. Getting them started is the hard part! This is 4 years of growth from seed.

20230701_092504.thumb.jpg.47ccb84846208e7d9b3321af646a2a45.jpg20230701_092519.thumb.jpg.676ccbaeae7ba1d0d7b94b4429e4c899.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Just got 10 seeds of Medemia argun from an overseas source. Based on what I've read on this PT forum and online from other sources, a few of these seeds I'll plant directly out in the garden and a few will go into deep treepots. That should help deal with the long taproots of this species during germination.😉

Medemia_argun.png

• Like 2