IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Medemia Argun

Hal

I have a single Medemia Argun in Phoenix, Arizona that is starting to flower for the first time. I am not yet sure if it is male or female.

If it turns out female, is there anyone out there with some pollen I can acquire?

If it ends up male, is there anyone in need of pollen?

Thanks,

Hal

MedemiaT2.jpg

MedemiaF2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

Kudos for your success. Soil seems pretty dry. How often do you water the plant?

Awesome!!!!!!!

I have been looking to buy one of these for a long time

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Dear Hal,

Nice healthy Nubian Desert Palm it seems it loves your climate very much,the one we are growing is bit slow,and its growing in hot wet tropical climate..and here are the visuals of those 2 Argun Palms.

This is growing in our house garden :

20130920_112004_zps7a6f2ce4.jpg

While this one is planted in local park near by..

20160406_112139_zpsmsoujeo3.jpg

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 4

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Wow i would like one of those too!  Josh can't believe you didn't have any for me to take back to arizona when i stopped by last week at your new vista digs. It was about the only thing u didn't have! Congrats on the new spot im jealous. Wished i could have bought more but only only fit so much in an accord. 

• Upvote 1

On Sat May 07 2016 14:06:01 GMT-0700, Hal said:

I have a single Medemia Argun in Phoenix, Arizona that is starting to flower for the first time. I am not yet sure if it is male or female.

If it turns out female, is there anyone out there with some pollen I can acquire?

Thanks,

Hal

MedemiaT2.jpg

MedemiaF2.jpg

Nice! How old is it?

BTW welcome to PalmTalk!

Do you have any other desert habitat palms?

Wow.....one you don't see everyday.....they look like Sabals with yellow petioles.

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

10 hours ago, Palmcycasnut said:

Wow i would like one of those too!  Josh can't believe you didn't have any for me to take back to arizona when i stopped by last week at your new vista digs. It was about the only thing u didn't have! Congrats on the new spot im jealous. Wished i could have bought more but only only fit so much in an accord. 

When you get a chance post some pictures of your Arizona garden. Thanks for stopping by I appreciate the business

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

• 2 months later...

Hal I have one in Thailand, Nong Nooch have many already seeding profusely, Rare Palm seeds  now has fresh seed in stock, photo of  mine 6  months ago, grows like crazy here its now over 12 feet tall it gets watered daily my land is very sandy soil and always +30 to 42 c the second photo shows mine at 1 and a half years old

medemia1.jpg

20151014_063722.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

Ohhhhhhh, I "Wish" I planted mine 21 yrs ago rather than leaving them in pots, Bill B from FNQ got some seed just after they rediscovered it  and he sold me 3 x 1 leafers a good ft tall,, they'd be well on their way now if I planted them. Oh well,." What  is, IS".. Your looks stunning Paul and only 18 mnths old WOW.. :wub:        Pete   20151014_063722.jpg

• Upvote 2

its much  bigger now this photo taken about 6 months ago, just ordered more seed as they sprout real easy

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tingtongthai said:

its much  bigger now this photo taken about 6 months ago, just ordered more seed as they sprout real easy

Paul, I will be ringing TOBY on Monday to order seed after seeing yours, pls take a pic or 2 with yr wife/girlfriend beside it for scale :)     Pete 20151014_063722.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nice. Never heard of Medemia. Quite similar to Bismarckia

Edited by Howeadypsis

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

On 7/10/2016, 11:39:47, Pedro 65 said:

Paul, I will be ringing TOBY on Monday to order seed after seeing yours, pls take a pic or 2 with yr wife/girlfriend beside it for scale :)     Pete 20151014_063722.jpg

im not back until august 7th currently in the uk holiday

Thanks Paul, and thanks for the heads up re Seed, I rang RPS last nt and ordered seed.  Look fwd to yr pics on yr return.    Pete :) 

On 7/10/2016, 1:47:10, Tingtongthai said:

how do you sprout your seeds?

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Dear Josh,

Kindly visit my material need for germination thread..in it I have germinated those seeds.

And if need be you also visit rarepalmseeds.com in the seeds display page there is also notes on how to germinate those seeds notes written by its buyers.

Btw the requirements is very similar to bismarkia and Borassus seed germination.

Fresh seeds germinate in less than 3 weeks to a months time.In hot tropics.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

33 minutes ago, Kris said:

Dear Josh,

Kindly visit my material need for germination thread..in it I have germinated those seeds.

And if need be you also visit rarepalmseeds.com in the seeds display page there is also notes on how to germinate those seeds notes written by its buyers.

Btw the requirements is very similar to bismarkia and Borassus seed germination.

Fresh seeds germinate in less than 3 weeks to a months time.In hot tropics.

thanks Kris :)

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

4 hours ago, Josh-O said:

how do you sprout your seeds?

Just place them in a pot of "anything" they sprout really easily, after sprouting straight into the ground but I do live in Thailand its permanently hot and humid also on my land the soil is sandy its probably  quite similar in soil to their origins

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, foxtail said:

Do this palm tolerate the tropics environment?

YES 100% no problem grows very fast

• Upvote 2

This photo taken about 1-2  months ago I just found it ,new it was somewhere...sorry no Wife for scale

tree2016-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, foxtail said:

Do this palm tolerate the tropics environment?

Hi Angel,

This palm should not be compared to other desert palms like w.filiferas or B.Armata to its soil or growing conditions. Its as robust as a silver form bismarkia in most of its properties.

Btw. Rarepalmseeds.com has a small pach option. .and those who want to try this palm for personal collection can cartainly try it and also educate others about its growing conditions in their respective zones.

Without you trying it might be a suspense..but its worth the effort.

Btw. The answer to your question is its growing okay for me in tropics...

Love,

Kris.

Edited by Kris
  • Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Phenomenonel growth for 6 mnths, the wheelbarrow gives great scale, many thanks, look fwd to getting my seed and growing Medimia argun..  Pete :) 

tree2016-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Mandrew968 said:
  • Still a very hard palm to find around here...

Ring" RPS NOW for Fresh New Seed  :)  Pete

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tingtongthai said:

This photo taken about 1-2  months ago I just found it ,new it was somewhere...sorry no Wife for scale

tree2016-2.jpg

Very nice growth you have gotten :greenthumb:

I enjoy your pics. Very interesting place you have. Is it some sort of farm land. I thought I saw pineapple fields...

yes its 6 acres of pineapples

palms watered daily for about 10 minutes by sprinkler at base

Edited by Tingtongthai

5 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

Phenomenonel growth for 6 mnths, the wheelbarrow gives great scale, many thanks, look fwd to getting my seed and growing Medimia argun..  Pete :) 

tree2016-2.jpg

livistona chinensis grows fast here too, march 2014 and 2016

23 march 2014.jpg

chinny.jpg

• Upvote 3

medemia in November 2014 the trunk is  now the diameter of the stones in fact I have to remove them and pull them out a few feet

IMG_4471.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Tingtongthai said:

tree2016-2.jpg

Thanks mate, looks beautiful. 

Rio_Grande.gif

20 hours ago, Kris said:

Hi Angel,

This palm should not be compared to other desert palms like w.filiferas or B.Armata to its soil or growing conditions. Its as robust as a silver form bismarkia in most of its properties.

Btw. Rarepalmseeds.com has a small pach option. .and those who want to try this palm for personal collection can cartainly try it and also educate others about its growing conditions in their respective zones.

Without you trying it might be a suspense..but its worth the effort.

Btw. The answer to your question is its growing okay for me in tropics...

Love,

Kris.

HI Kris, 

Thanks for your advice, I don't want kill a beautiful like those one due to my humid tropic environment. 

Peace and love, 

Angel 

Rio_Grande.gif

awesome thread with tons of good info!!

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Thanks for the 'inspiration" to grow this once thought to be "extinct"  Palm :greenthumb: The 2 yr growth is :greenthumb::greenthumb:  "Outrageous"   :Pete :)  

On 7/13/2016, 5:47:43, Tingtongthai said:

medemia in November 2014 the trunk is  now the diameter of the stones in fact I have to remove them and pull them out a few feet

IMG_4471.JPG

tree2016-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...
On 5/7/2016, 2:06:01, Hal said:

Thanks,

Hal

MedemiaT2.jpg

MedemiaF2.jpg

Did anyone ever find out where in the Phoenix area this palm is located, and the story behind it's successful cultivation (seedling to blooming)? What happened to Hal?

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 81°, Lo 61°

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

seed  to  blooming, less than  3  years, mine  flowered a  few  weeks  back first  time , no secret grows  easy  here, water  daily sandy  soil, loves it  grows  like  a rocket, got 4  juveniles  now also

20161202_145857.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for the advice Tingtongthai! That is the fastest growing palm I've ever seen (and quickest to mature)! Wish me luck transplanting my seedlings from their community pots to 2 gallon size this summer (they will be 10 months old).

Too bad Hal disappeared.

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 80°, Lo 54° - some showers

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

I keep killing these in pots before they ever make it into the ground so I just ordered seeds to try once again. I'm thinking about trying to germinate one or two directly into the ground when I get them. 

7 hours ago, Tingtongthai said:

seed  to  blooming, less than  3  years, mine  flowered a  few  weeks  back first  time , no secret grows  easy  here, water  daily sandy  soil, loves it  grows  like  a rocket, got 4  juveniles  now also

20161202_145857.jpg

That's some seriously fast growth!