IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC May 21, 2016 meeting at the Huntington Botanical gardens

DoomsDave

<I am pleased to announce that our May 21, 2016 meeting will be held at the Huntington Botanical Gardens in San Marino, California, just east of Pasadena. If you haven't been to the Huntington in a few years, you will be amazed at the expansion that has taken place. Give yourself time to take in the Chinese garden, as well as the world-renowned palm collection.

http://www.huntington.org/

There will be free admission to the gardens and library. Again, give yourself time to enjoy it all, and attend the meeting and auction.

San Marino and nearby Arcadia have an abundance of excellent restaurants ranging from affordable to grand, in a large variety of cuisines, including Chinese.

The Board of Directors Meeting will begin at 9:00 a.m. Non-members of the board are welcome to attend. Click on the link below for directions to the Huntington.

http://www.huntington.org/WebAssets/Templates/content.aspx?id=308

Thank you for your support and see you there!

Dave Bleistein, Treasurer>

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Please read and adhere to the following entrance instructions in order to gain free admission to the
gardens. You may arrive between 10:00 and 11:30. If you arrive after 11:30 you will need to pay
your own entry fee. Please enter via the main gate at Allen Avenue and Orlando Road (1800
Orlando Road), and park in the main lot. Proceed to the visitor center, where we (the PSSC) will
have a table set up to check you in. Please do not ask for tickets at any of the ticket booths, as they
will not be able to provide you with a free entrance ticket. After you have received your entry ticket
at the PSSC table, please proceed to the Head House (in the nursery) for additional information
regarding the day’s events. There will be a PSSC member at the Head House to give you further
instructions. If you have any questions once you reach the visitor center, please call Larry Black at
(714)842-2311. REMEMBER, PLEASE ADHERE TO THE INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE TO GAIN
ADMISSION TO THE GARDENS. THANK YOU.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Who else is coming?

I aim to attend... possibly with a friend

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Good!

Get them to sign up with the PSSC!

We're having a huge members only deal in September . . . . . .

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

The South OC group will be there........that can be good and bad!

5 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Dave,

The South OC group will be there........that can be good and bad!

Which, in the long run, will be good.

Hmm. The Gopher Pack? :D

well...?

any pictures of this fabulous event?

It was very rare for me to miss a meeting but it does happen :(

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Josh-O said:

well...?

For the condition it was "supposed" to be in, looked pretty great to me! Should have been there Josh.. I need to do 2 days in a row there to take it all in... A Ton more Cycads Thanks to Lorans' bequest. Not all out and easy to see, but you can see large area to the south of the European house where it looks that many will be placed.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

2 hours ago, Josh-O said:

well...?

A great day all in all.. took a bit of time for me to get there.

For the condition it was "supposed" to be in, looked pretty great to me! Should have been there Josh.. I need to do 2 days in a row there to take it all in... A Ton more Cycads Thanks to Lorans' bequest. Not all out and easy to see, but you can see large area to the south of the European house where it looks that many will be placed.

Looking forward to more pics Ando!

10 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

A great day all in all.. took a bit of time for me to get there.

Looking forward to more pics Ando!

thanks for the update Bill. I'm bummed I was not there. the good news is I work 10 min from that place.

Sunset zone 24

yes pictures please Ando.

your pic's are always top notch!!

Sunset zone 24

WTF were you guys? And gals?

Bill made it an [expletive] EVENT! He donated Big Curly seeds that raised a bit.

Okay, it was a big day.

It was a success.

THANKS BS MAN!

Pando, more pictures.

I was administrating.

21 hours ago, Pando said:

Well, I took over 500 pictures. :mrlooney: 

Here are a few teasers:

hQ7Bndq.jpg

FUJ25nP.jpg

2fhkyGe.jpg

zu32oy2.jpg

cNLUMyY.jpg

j7oFdto.jpg

rJmgf44.jpg

URK!

12 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

WTF were you guys? And gals?

Bill made it an [expletive] EVENT! He donated Big Curly seeds that raised a bit.

Okay, it was a big day.

It was a success.

THANKS BS MAN!

Negative on that Dave, YOU and your brethren that staged it did the work, I just contributed. :blink:  It was nice to see a few palms/ plants go over $100 I shoulda bid on that Califonii. Nice big plant for $100!

Anyone else have some pictures?

Post away in the Main Forum . . . .

20160521_111241.jpg

20160521_112012.jpg

• Upvote 1