IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyphosperma balansae - A winner not seen enough

Dypsisdean

@Tracy and @Palm Tree Jim mine is doing well. It's certainly not fast, but I have palms that are slower. During the summer, mine got a pretty good dose of midday sun and didn't seem to mind at all. It gets a lot of leaf litter from the vine above it and gets regular water in dense soil. I think, with some patience, it'll be worth the wait! This pic is from a few weeks ago.

edit: I should also mention that the cold doesn't seem to affect it.

IMG_2287.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I am growing two that are pretty shaded under canopy.  Will be interesting to compare to sun grown ones for Southern California.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

On 4/21/2016, 1:16:21, Dypsisdean said:

This small grouping is really starting to take off. I don't know why it isn't grown more. I have one 15+ year old outside in SoCal, so I know it should be tried more there. These are about 6 yrs in the ground (in Hawaii) from two gal size.

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

Dean, this one must be getting bigger now over on the island, perhaps you can show what happens over a 2 year time span in Hawaii.  I still haven't made it over to your son's to see the one here in his Leucadia garden (your former garden), but someday.  Post an update when you get a chance.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

7 hours ago, Tracy said:

Dean, this one must be getting bigger now over on the island, perhaps you can show what happens over a 2 year time span in Hawaii.  I still haven't made it over to your son's to see the one here in his Leucadia garden (your former garden), but someday.  Post an update when you get a chance.

Here you go Tracy. Kinda dark out, but you get the idea. One day soon the older sheaths will peel off and I'll have a foot or two of clear trunk on these. I'll take another pic when that happens.

IMG_3750.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3746.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Dean...the pic of your C. balansae in SoCal had me hooked on this palm.  Growing mine in shade as that was how I remembered you did it.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

2 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

Dean...the pic of your C. balansae in SoCal had me hooked on this palm.  Growing mine in shade as that was how I remembered you did it.

Not sure if that is the best exposure Joe, as that palm constantly leaned out trying to get more sun. I haven't seen it in a few years, so I'm curious how it is doing these days.

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

Luckily, my canopy is bananas.  I can give it more sun as needed as it is south facing. 

In "Palms for California", Geoff stated shade to filtered sun for light requirements...has that changed?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

1 hour ago, joe_OC said:

Luckily, my canopy is bananas.  I can give it more sun as needed as it is south facing. 

In "Palms for California", Geoff stated shade to filtered sun for light requirements...has that changed?

Time will tell.

Kona, on The Big Island

I'm glad this got bumped..mine, complete with its litter is doing great. I keep having it "in the way" it's doing so well. (knock on my marble breaking head at this point..lol) But I will post a pic or two I hope tomorrow. :D 

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

8 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

IMG_3746.jpg

When grown in a climate they really like as opposed to tolerate, they are actually pretty quick growers based on how yours has performed in Hawaii!  Very nice  :greenthumb:

7 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:
9 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

Not sure if that is the best exposure Joe, as that palm constantly leaned out trying to get more sun. I haven't seen it in a few years, so I'm curious how it is doing these days.

Dean, does it want to grow into the sun or you think it wants sun exposure when even when young?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

4 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Dean, does it want to grow into the sun or you think it wants sun exposure when even when young?

Joe - If it were me, I would treat these in SoCal similar as to how a Howea forsteriana is treated. That is, more sun the closer to the coast and the older it is - eventually able to handle a good deal of sun, but never enjoying full blazing locations.

• Like 1

Kona, on The Big Island

9 minutes ago, Dypsisdean said:

Joe - If it were me, I would treat these in SoCal similar as to how a Howea forsteriana is treated. That is, more sun the closer to the coast and the older it is - eventually able to handle a good deal of sun, but never enjoying full blazing locations.

Thanks!

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Well, here it is.. definitely not as big as Deans..but doing well...no Great! Stood at hood of my car to give size reference.

42644775_309510026448148_798440751108194304_n.jpg

42761309_2199965226920662_1146253606534512640_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 1 year later...

Bump!  Please show us updates.  Mine is really slow.  Thru out a stunted leaf the first year, but has an emerging spear.  Looks like it would benefit from more sun.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

@joe_OC Joe, mine still tends to lean toward the sun. I trimmed back the vine a ton last year which resulted in some burn but hasn’t set it back. I would definitely not hesitate to give it a bit of direct sun but wouldn’t bake it. I still wouldn’t classify it as slow, plus it’s just so dang gorgeous even when a 5 gal. size. I’ll try to get a pic tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

@joe_OC Joe, mine still tends to lean toward the sun. I trimmed back the vine a ton last year which resulted in some burn but hasn’t set it back. I would definitely not hesitate to give it a bit of direct sun but wouldn’t bake it. I still wouldn’t classify it as slow, plus it’s just so dang gorgeous even when a 5 gal. size. I’ll try to get a pic tomorrow. 

Thanks, Matt.  Looking forward to it.  How many fronds are you getting a year from yours?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I really like these palms. I have successfully killed three I think. I just recently planted two small ones in a more protected / shaded place, but after reading this it makes me feel like maybe I should give it a little more sun. Hmmmm.....

Somehow missed this thread, what fantastic specimens. Dean, a high five and a couple of ‘good lords’. 

Finally, not too long ago,  managed to find a spot for two small ones. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks, Matt.  How long have you had it i the ground?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Thanks, Matt.  Good growth over that time period!

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Here is mine.  Planted a little over a year ago.  First frond was stunted.  Emerging spear looks good.  The back wall is SW facing.  As you can see, I am thinning out bananas to get more sun to it.

IMG_2972.thumb.JPG.1347a8e1e7cac65925a0853d3925cc5c.JPG

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

It looks like so many things they will speed up as they get larger and more established.  My wife trimmed a leaf off which was beat up after growing into the adjacent Cordyline so it's a little lopsided right now.  Waiting for the next leaf to open for it to regain balance.  It shouldn't be long as the emerging spear has split into two.

20200325-104A6028.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Sorry, not been by here in a while... but here's an update of mine.. tip of spear is about 6'=2meters

91509975_216559669407198_2234227642188431360_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Great photos everyone.  I planted 2 not that long ago. Too rainy here to take pictures right now but not looking like much yet. 

Here is my small one planted as a small 1 gallon a year ago.  It has started to grow nicely

15855855587197744235069733384054.jpg

15855855820122645937031045518720.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

New leaf opening today. Some nice girth on this with the added sunlight. 

Looking really good Matt!

• Like 1

Here’s one of mine. Planted not too long ago from a 3 gallon pot, then dug up to move it about 6 feet over from where I planted it originally.  Seems to be rooted in now and growing fast.  

78291729-0882-40CE-BB7E-EB2C82704E17.thumb.jpeg.b21046aee52761651cf3217e97478ad4.jpeg 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

After watching the growth of some others here in Southern California, I wish I had planted mine in a spot where it could grow into a little more sun.  It is on the North side of my house with taller palms both east and west of it.  At the time I was planting it, the thought was to give it protection.  While it is growing and healthy, I think a spot with more am and mid-day sun would have been a better selection.  I guess I shouldn't complain, because it will remain at eye level as other palms require some distance or craning of the neck.  There are worse problems than slow growing palms that remain attractive at eye level.

20210422-BH3I3481.jpg

20210422-BH3I3482.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

At @Billy request, here's my humble addition...
- 10 months from 1g (from Floribunda)
- Mostly shade (under Phoenix Roebellini) on drip irrigation / No greenhouse
- Only grew 3", but much fuller (+ just starting this year's growing season)
- You can see the original "cut' leaf on right in first photo / left on second.
- Has a healthy new spear... so far so good :greenthumb:

cypho.thumb.jpg.81601995bf63af2ed70b0b99cab0ec6c.jpg

• Like 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

• 2 months later...

I popped back by as someone liked an earlier post , so I looked. 
Mine is still growing well, but last year it started to get some leaning crown as such.  Yet, with mulch and leaf litter I was skeptical that it was boron deficient. I tied it back to try to straighten it and it seems to have recovered and the newest growth is straight too. A few months back I though maybe with all the leaves it was maybe not getting enough water. I then soaked it well every few days for a couple weeks and that seemed to help.

You can see the base is getting large. That is a 20 gal pot to the right.

293983977_456485099287566_3363318745071467389_n.thumb.jpg.e62b6da1dbd820ab40cfc018359e0eae.jpg

You can see the older twist to the leaves with the most recent, straight.

292505398_2247584142088213_6768379226220863624_n.thumb.jpg.af4fc7255d789f87b78e753c030fc387.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I bought two 1gl from Floridabunda in 2016.

They were in a lot of shade and growing.

Thinking they were in too much shade, I bought a 3gl from Floridabunda in 2017.

I put it in a lot more sun and it was dead in six months.

The two one gallons grew slowly.

In 2020 while I was not working, due to Covid, I took down a giant tree that was shading them.

In 2021 everything under the tree removed was burned.

Over the last year, all the filler plants boomed and provided low angle protection.

Here they are today. Happy and getting fat.

Lots of high vista sun.

This is one of the two

1.JPG

12.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1