IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyphosperma balansae - A winner not seen enough

Dypsisdean

This small grouping is really starting to take off. I don't know why it isn't grown more. I have one 15+ year old outside in SoCal, so I know it should be tried more there. These are about 6 yrs in the ground (in Hawaii) from two gal size.

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 10

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Fabulous palm Dean foliage looks perfect.20160306_112919.thumb.jpg.fdc639bdb8a7e120160306_112941.thumb.jpg.04cf02ca9472c4

I saw some really old specimens at the Sydney Botanical gardens last month

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Looking great Dean! :)

I hope to grow it to maturity but seedlings of this species haven't been anywhere as hardy. Finding it available as a plant is difficult. I always have to start from seed with the New Caledonians(and many other slow and rare ones...). I will try growing them up much bigger next time before trying out

• Upvote 1

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

A gorgeous palm no doubt, Dean. But here in south Florida, they grow decently as a container palm but do not do well in the ground. Some of their sisters and cousins I think are going to fair better. Nice though!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Aloha, Dean!

They're great in Hawaii, and maybe in Cali near the coast.

Here in La Habra, not so much. They don't like the lack of humidity and the long winter cool spell that's too cool for them here.

Alas, so pretty. I'll try again and be proved wrong?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

How strange that just yesterday I decided what to put in the spot where the Lemur was.  I have lots to go there, but wanted something you don't see often. Thought of yours here Dean and decided to plant my "7 gal" sized one next to my driveway. Thanks for helping to cinch the decision!

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Good luck, Bill!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Looking real nice Dean!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

13 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Aloha, Dean!

They're great in Hawaii, and maybe in Cali near the coast.

Here in La Habra, not so much. They don't like the lack of humidity and the long winter cool spell that's too cool for them here.

Alas, so pretty. I'll try again and be proved wrong?

DD do you think it has a shot at my place?  

Palmpedia shows some amazing black trunks on this palm. Is this typical or hit and miss?

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

DD do you think it has a shot at my place?  

Palmpedia shows some amazing black trunks on this palm. Is this typical or hit and miss?

I'll anxiously await the answer as well.  I put one in the ground a few weeks ago, here in Leucadia.  It's pushing out a new leaf right now, which was just a small new leaf spike when I got it.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

I'll anxiously await the answer as well.  I put one in the ground a few weeks ago, here in Leucadia.  It's pushing out a new leaf right now, which was just a small new leaf spike when I got it.

I can only confirm seeing black "crownshafts" on all that I have seen. I think the black trunk look on some of those in Palmpedia is partially a result of being wet. I will have to pay more attention next time I'm at a garden with some trunking specimens. But I can't say I remember trunks as black as they look in some of those pics. And I think I would have.

Kona, on The Big Island

Dean, by Hawaiian standards, that must be a "slow" grower for you!:lol:  This certainly is a beautiful palm.  I tried one in a container a few years back, only to have it slowly die off.  I can't say that I'd be willing to try again due to my very long and hot summers.  Thanks for the awesome pics.

On 4/21/2016, 1:16:21, Dypsisdean said:

I have one 15+ year old outside in SoCal, so I know it should be tried more there.

I would love to see a photo of what your California one looks like at 15+ years if you have any old photos, or at some point can share a new photo of it.

Beautifully grown Dean!  I didn't even realize that they got that large.  I have had two that grew well in pots from a 1g to a 5g size over the course of about two years.  Unfortunately, they both died in the ground.  I tried to water them heavily, but it was obvious that they were struggling with our lack of humidity in SoCal.  I am about 5 miles from the coast and our dry and warm summer days seems to fry them up.  I have never seen one in SoCal that doesn't look at least somewhat unhappy about the lack of humidity.  Also they are super slow here, maybe one and a half new leaves a year in my experience.

6 hours ago, Tracy said:

I would love to see a photo of what your California one looks like at 15+ years if you have any old photos, or at some point can share a new photo of it.

Tracy - there are some photos in the link below of that palm. I also see what looks to be some other SoCal photos from a garden or two I recognize.

It should be noted that the one pictured in my old garden in Leucadia always struggled for sun - constantly bending to the point of horizontal trying to get to more light. It was "beheaded" three times through the years that I know of in an attempt to straighten it out again. So, while not the biggest it could be after that long in the ground, it certainly demonstrates a toughness to continue to grow after considerable trauma and not the best location.

Here's one photo of the Leucadia palm from Tassie Troy (dated Sept 2013). More here: http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Cyphosperma_balansae

CbIMG_4921.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Kona, on The Big Island

Hi D

here is my small one, slow growing for me

regards

colin

DSC03703 (Large).JPG

DSC03688 (Large).JPG

• Upvote 3

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

3 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

just got this beauty from Floribunda. Looking forward to finding a special spot for it! 

Very nice looking plant!  Once you decide where to plant it, you should share a photo of it in its new home.  Will be fun to watch it progress over time.

• Upvote 1

I decided to plant my biggest one today. Yeah, the Floribunda stuff is almost as big, but this has survived outside in a pot here for almost 3 years. Given that, I think it was the best bet to try.. we'll see! :interesting:

20160423_160216.thumb.jpg.aa9e3eece0eb8d

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 1 year later...
On 4/21/2016, 9:25:30, BS Man about Palms said:

How strange that just yesterday I decided what to put in the spot where the Lemur was.  I have lots to go there, but wanted something you don't see often. Thought of yours here Dean and decided to plant my "7 gal" sized one next to my driveway. Thanks for helping to cinch the decision!

How's it doing?

They are really slow from seed. I imagine they speed up when you get them to the size that it looks like they are available at from nurseries in the states. I think availability is the main thing stopping them being grown more widespread in Australia. As the Sydney plants demonstrate they grow reasonably well in temperate regions.

2 hours ago, SirOxylon said:

They are really slow from seed. I imagine they speed up when you get them to the size that it looks like they are available at from nurseries in the states. I think availability is the main thing stopping them being grown more widespread in Australia. As the Sydney plants demonstrate they grow reasonably well in temperate regions.

Any luck with these in Melbourne unprotected Daniel?

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

10 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

How's it doing?

Very Well, I need to post a pic..

• Upvote 1

Great looking palm! 

On 4/21/2016, 1:16:21, Dypsisdean said:

This small grouping is really starting to take off. I don't know why it isn't grown more. I have one 15+ year old outside in SoCal, so I know it should be tried more there. These are about 6 yrs in the ground (in Hawaii) from two gal size.

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

9 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I'll post my little guy but that means you have to follow through too Bill.  Mine just completed a little over a full year in the ground here in Leucadia.  It just opened the newest leaf early this month.20170418-104A6285.thumb.jpg.f53e9c5165c0

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Any other nice ones away from the beach?

On 4/21/2016, 8:24:46, Jeff Searle said:

A gorgeous palm no doubt, Dean. But here in south Florida, they grow decently as a container palm but do not do well in the ground. Some of their sisters and cousins I think are going to fair better. Nice though!

I am with Jeff on this one; not a palm for South Florida. 

Leu gardens has some nice ones performing well under oak canopy in Orlando. I have a small one here in Cocoa Beach that has been in the ground for about a year and a half under coconut canopy that is living and growing steadily but it always has significant and mildly unsightly leaf tip burn. But it is alive and steadily growing despite this. In fact during hurricane Matthew brackish but mostly saltwater breached my sea wall and it sat in an inch deep of that water for a couple days and survived. I was surprised. 

On 4/28/2017, 8:00:41, Tracy said:

I'll post my little guy but that means you have to follow through too Bill.  Mine just completed a little over a full year in the ground here in Leucadia.  It just opened the newest leaf early this month.

Its nice to have to start having to back up to try to get a palm in the picture... ;) Regular sized bottle for scale. After the latest discussion/presentation at the last biennial about litter trapping palms, I decided to not clean this guy out at all. (It has a hybrid Phoenix above it that seeds a lot)  But doing pretty well I think!!

20170429_084239.thumb.jpg.59b21298e79ece

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

Leu gardens has some nice ones performing well under oak canopy in Orlando. I have a small one here in Cocoa Beach that has been in the ground for about a year and a half under coconut canopy that is living and growing steadily but it always has significant and mildly unsightly leaf tip burn. But it is alive and steadily growing despite this. In fact during hurricane Matthew brackish but mostly saltwater breached my sea wall and it sat in an inch deep of that water for a couple days and survived. I was surprised. 

IMG_2630.thumb.JPG.8ec1d26cda61f7a2c87df

Here's mine in cocoa beach. notice the leaf tips.

• Upvote 1

Tim, never tried these unprotected outside. I germinated mine and it is 10 cm tall after almost 2 years. I have no doubt they will be a good palm for Melbourne. I saw them growing in shade at around 1000 m above sea level on Plateau de Dogny in New Caledonia so the cold is not going to be an issue. Possibly hot dry winds may be a bigger threat but I don't worry too much about that on the coast where we are. Just plant in sensible locations to avoid such problems-cold is a harder thing to escape. I have Chambeyronia macrocarpa hookeri, Cyphophoenix alba, Kentiopsis pyriformis, Burretiokentia hapala and B. vieillardii outside in the ground. They have all seen two winters and still seem to be going strong. I don't think there are any New Caledonian palms that can't be enticed to grow here at least due to cold. The harder species to grow here are probably fussier on the soil conditions.   

• Upvote 1

I thought I would post an update - as it is a year since the pics that started this topic. The largest one on the left has just started trunking. :)

IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_3379.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

Kona, on The Big Island

Wow! They look so different over there!

Very similar look to what a Burretiokentia hapala would give, over here. Looks nice, Dean.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2016, 7:17:38, Matt in OC said:

I just got this beauty from Floribunda. Looking forward to finding a special spot for it! 

image.jpeg

This is the same plant that has been in the ground through the winter. It is in mostly shade, but I think it could be happy with some more sun. You can see the leaves that have opened since it has been in the ground, the two short ones. It grew steadily through the winter so it'll be interesting to see how it does as it gets warmer. 

IMG_9054.JPG

IMG_9053.JPG

IMG_9052.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/23/2016, 7:17:38, Matt in OC said:

I just got this beauty from Floribunda. Looking forward to finding a special spot for it! 

image.jpeg

With another summer in the ground how is yours doing?  I get some brown tipping on mine on most of the leaves except the newest.  It gets a brief window of direct sunlight in the mid-morning then mostly filtered the rest of the day during summer and no direct sun in winter.

20180920-104A0715.jpg

• Upvote 2

Mine has been in the ground for 2 years. Very slow for me, but it is growing.

Mostly filtered light at this point. I will check on it later today and snap a picture.